September 2011 Moms
Options

charting question

Does anyone know why its so critical to temp at the same time everyday? I understand you need three hours of consecutive sleep but why can't I do this: Owen woke up at 5am this morning (not for the day) before I got up to soothe him, I took my temperature. I usually temp at 6:30 if I've had enough sound sleep. anyone know what wrong with temping earlier?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: charting question

• Options

My understanding is that the basal temperature will be different. I believe the rule of thumb is .1 degress F per hour.

So at 5, even though you have had 3 hours of sleep, you'll still get a lower temp. Not sure what I would do here. I would probably just take it at 5. You'll get an open circle, but you'll probably still see the pattern.

Do you have to get up a lot? If so, not the end of the world, just don't expect a really pretty chart.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

Here is a link to FF's answer to your question:

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/Faqs/Same-time-or-three-hours-of-sleep.html

Looks like it varies by person if it would be better to take it at 6:30 w/o 3 hours of sleep or at 5:00.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMsCrispy:

My understanding is that the basal temperature will be different. I believe the rule of thumb is .1 degress F per hour.

So at 5, even though you have had 3 hours of sleep, you'll still get a lower temp. Not sure what I would do here. I would probably just take it at 5. You'll get an open circle, but you'll probably still see the pattern.

Do you have to get up a lot? If so, not the end of the world, just don't expect a really pretty chart.

lately, Owen only sttn half the time...so your saying record the temp either way? and it will adjust if its inaccurate? I use tcoyf.com thanks!
  • Options
    imageMsCrispy:

Here is a link to FF's answer to your question:

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/Faqs/Same-time-or-three-hours-of-sleep.html

Looks like it varies by person if it would be better to take it at 6:30 w/o 3 hours of sleep or at 5:00.

thanks!
  • Options
    imagegreengirl09:
    imagehoot179:
    imageMsCrispy:

lately, Owen only sttn half the time...so your saying record the temp either way? and it will adjust if its inaccurate? I use tcoyf.com thanks!

I don't know if the software automatically updates it for you...if it does, I'm definitely checking it out next time!  BUT, I always say that an inaccurate temp is better than no temp at all.  Just note the time that you took it (if it's different than the "usual" time).  This way, if your chart looks funky after a few days you'll be able to look back and know why.

I didn't see your question earlier - I don't think the software makes the adjustment automatically, I was just giving a rule of thumb that I have heard.

I would temp at both times and see which one fits better in your chart.

• Options

imageNCC74656:
    can you set an alarm to temp earlier? You'd have to start on a new cycle though, not mid cycle. I use to wake up to temp at 3 am then go back to sleep

Wow - that is being very dedicated to charting. Personally, I'll just take a few unreliable numbers over waking at 3am everyday.

I chart for TTC purposes, if you are using it to TTA, then I might take it more seriously.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"