Working Moms
Options

FMLA after return to work

I took 8 weeks of leave, and I know we are all granted 12 weeks of leave by law in a 12 month period. If I want to take a week off at Christmas, but I don't have the vacation time but I have personal time, can I use FMLA for the week? 

Re: FMLA after return to work

• Options

FMLA can protect your job for UP TO 12 weeks.  If before your leave you asked to take the full 12 weeks and approved then that would be great, if not, many companies require you to return to work after you are medically released (6 weeks vaginal, 8 weeks c-section).

Since you already returned to work you can only use your remaining FMLA weeks if you or an immediate family member actually have a medical issue that you are required to be out of work for.

• Options
    What PP's have said. I believe you need to have a document signed by a doctor to qualify for FMLA.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm not sure what you mean by having no vacation time but having personal time?

That aside - I'm not certain, but double check with your HR department to see if you still have 4 weeks of bonding time under FMLA left to use after the birth of your child (I'm assuming you had your child this year?).  That might be a way to use the FMLA legitimately, but it would be unpaid.  But, aside from what's allowed by law, if others have already requested the week of Christmas off, I'm not sure I'd want to generate ill will with my coworkers if my company HAD to let me take FMLA and it, therefore, affected someone else's prior request for vacation.  Just something to think about.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I returned to work after 9 weeks of FMLA. I am currently using my remaining time 1 day a week until it runs out. I just had to put 'bonding' as my reason for requesting. I would ask your HR department.
  • Options

No.

You can't take FMLA, come back to work per your regular schedule, then go out again on the same FMLA.  That's not how it works.  It's not vacation time - it's FAMILY MEDICAL leave.  Your FMLA ended once you returned to work per your normal schedule.

To use FMLA again, you will have to get a new Dr. note requesting it.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Can't you just use your personal time for vacation? I've been earning comp time when I can, and I can use this to cover whatever I want, sick leave, vacation, business day, it's just marked as earned comp time on my time sheet.

• Options
    I think it depends.

One of my coworkers only wanted to take 8 weeks off post baby. She wanted to take a full month off before the baby was born with no reason given by the dr. HR and the director of our dept said no, she could take a week off prior to her due date, not a month.

Another co worker had a premie. She came back 6 weeks pp for about a month, then when the baby came home from the NICU, she took the rest of 6 weeks. She was approved.

So YES, you can return to work then take the rest of your FMLA, but I think it needs to be approved and a reason needs to be given though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think you shoulkd be able to take the rest of the 4 weeks as bonding time.  Directly from the US Dept of Labor Website:

Eligible employees are entitled to:

• Twelve workweeks of leave in a 12-month period for:
      • the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child within one year of birth;

It does not specify that the time has to be continuous.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Ditto previous. It's 12 weeks for job protection, not 12 weeks to do what you want with it.
  • Options
    imagejf198400:

It does not specify that the time has to be continuous.

Right, for cases like NICU babies coming home (as pointed out by a pp) or a health problem that occurs later.

But it's still not vacation time to use because you don't have any PTO.  Unless her child got sick and needs a caregiver, asking for time off during the holidays is not FMLA eligible.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You do have the option of using the full 12 weeks of FMLA during the 12 months without it being consecutive. But it has to be for the reasons that FMLA is used for, not because you want time off during Christmas but don't have an vacation time. The FMLA time still needs to go through the approval process again.

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options
    OP- if you are trying to find a way to take time off at Christmas, maybe you can ask your manager about using vacation time in advance.  My company will let you go up to a week negative, before you accrue the time, if your manager approves.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

I'm not sure what you mean by "we" in your original post.  If you mean everyone at your company, you're fine.  FMLA is generally not a bank of vacation days to use at your convenience, but if your employer allows it to be used that way then more power to you.

If by "we" you mean Americans, then you've been misinformed.  Smaller companies aren't subject to FMLA, and new employees don't qualify.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"