Breastfeeding
Options

Nursing To Sleep

I am totally fine with nursing S to sleep for as long as she needs to, but I am just curious to know if and when your LO started being able to fall asleep on their own? For a little background, she gets a pumped bottle once in a while but is fed from the tap 95 percent of the time.

Re: Nursing To Sleep

• Options

Careful what you say... ;)

I'm 13 months and counting... 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I am still nursing at night but DS doesn't fall asleep during nursing anymore. DS stopped nursing to sleep at around 10.5 months. He is drowsy but definitely awake. I usually rock for a few mins give him a kiss and put him down. He usually is asleep within 15 mins.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD stopped nursing to sleep when we moved her to the crib at around 6 months. She did it on her own. Now she only falls asleep nursing if she's really tired.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I still sort of nurse to sleep. Most of the time she's so ready for bed she zonks out as I feed her and doesn't really stir when I burp her or lay her down. Rarely she's wound up enough that I lay her down awake. Usually she fusses a touch and wiggles until she falls asleep. I don't think it's a problem unless LO isn't able to self soothe. You might try it once or twice to see if its even a problem. I figure I want to feed her at the last possible moment before sleep to try to maximize sleep time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You definitely want to play around with nursing and not nursing to sleep or you may never get to have a night out. Our little one goes to sleep at 8, so even if we want a date night to go till 9 or 10 that wouldn't be possible if she is dependent on me. Flexibility is key at our house even if I nurse her to sleep 90 of the time
  • Options

imagekcircell:
    You definitely want to play around with nursing and not nursing to sleep or you may never get to have a night out. Our little one goes to sleep at 8, so even if we want a date night to go till 9 or 10 that wouldn't be possible if she is dependent on me. Flexibility is key at our house even if I nurse her to sleep 90 of the time

This is part of the reason I was asking.  MH's company X-mas party is December 1.  My parents are coming over to watch DD while we go.  Probably won't be home till midnight so they will have to put her down.  I am going to start having MH give her a pumped bottle occasionally at bedtime and see if he can put her down.  So far I have been the only one to out her down, not because MH doesn't want to be involved, but because there really isn't anything for him to do. 

• Options
    I stopped nursing him down for naps at 5 months because I was returning to work. Even though we did CIO and he can put himself to sleep, I still nurse him each night before bed and he always falls asleep on me and he will be 10 months this weekend. I absolutely love it, and it only takes 20 minutes compared to the hour (or two) it used to take when he was younger. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I still nurse DD at bedtime but she stopped falling asleep during about 6 months ago.  She gets pretty sleepy most nights but will unlatch and wriggle to let me know she's done and ready to be put down.

I should add we also did sleep training (Ferber) at 4 months for bedtime because at that time she would just wail if we even tried to put her down without her being totally asleep and bedtime was taking up to 2hrs which wasn't good for anyone.  After 4 nights of moderate crying she would get herself to sleep.

ETA:  DH has always been able to put her down with a bottle (and for a while was doing it once a week while I took a class).  We have weaned off bottles to cups and haven't tried a bedtime without my nursing but we should.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"