Preemies

f/u NYC NICUs

I read that only the babies were at risk because their oxygen systems were not backed up by batteries and that adults on life support are backed up with batteries.  Does anyone know why this is??? does not seem to make sense to me at all!
imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: f/u NYC NICUs

• That is absolutely terrible! That makes me really sad and I hope they do something to change it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know if this is accurate... I just read it online (I believe it was in the CNN article but I could be completely wrong... I read a few and it was yesterday and honestly I'm too lazy to look right now)  but if it is true I'm wondering why!??!?
    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • This is from the CNN article... I believe where I got this in my head..

"Four newborns were on respirators that were breathing for them, and when the power went out, each baby was carried down nine flights of stairs while a nurse manually squeezed a bag to deliver air to the baby's lungs.

"This is a labor-intensive, extremely difficult process," Brotman said.

The adult respirators had batteries, so those patients did not need manual respiration, he added."

I assumed that since they said the adult respirators had batters and did not need manual respiration that the babies did not and that is why they needed manual respiration!??!? 

imageimage

• I'm such a masochist I cannot stop watching things about this.  Since we all know the kids are safe and sound and doing well it is a bit easier but I just found this clip.

WARNING- YOU WILL CRY. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_162-57542793/premature-babies-story-of-survival-in-superstorm/

hearing the preemie cry broke my heart. I forgot what my son sounded like and that brought so much back.  I'm sitting at my desk bawling... why did I click play?????

imageimage

• I was under the impression that all ventilators have battery backup, although I'm not exactly sure how long they last.  My thought would be that they would evacuate the littles since their respiratory rate is much higher (40-60 bpm vs 10-12 for adults), making it more difficult to manually ventilate (???) if needed long term. Hmm, be interesting to find more info about why they evacuated.
    image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagerednelson:
    I was under the impression that all ventilators have battery backup, although I'm not exactly sure how long they last.  My thought would be that they would evacuate the littles since their respiratory rate is much higher (40-60 bpm vs 10-12 for adults), making it more difficult to manually ventilate (???) if needed long term. Hmm, be interesting to find more info about why they evacuated.

I thought that too but then other articles said they did have to manually ventilate... it is weird that this is something I never would have thought about before... i mean it would have been heartbreaking but I wouldn't have wondered why they weren't battery backed up probably... now I'm ready to start calling people and asking why!!!

imageimage

• OK, scratch that last post.  Now that I've watched the video, I guess it explains the situation a little more. Makes more sense that they were evacuating the entire hospital.
    image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"