February 2012 Moms

CPW: Favorite Holiday

I'll try to "catch" all the major holidays...[Poll]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: CPW: Favorite Holiday

• You didn't list Festivus, I'm outraged. Okay, not really, but its still my favorite holiday.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • What the heck is Festivus?

• Loading the player...
  • For me it's Independence Day.  my hometown doubles in size (that isn't saying much, it's 650 people), and it's giant production.  All of the class and family reunions are usually scheduled during this week.   They start with  a street dance the night before - two semi trailers on opposite ends of the downtown as stages... beer garden, food, etc.  The next day is a 2 mile and 5 mile race around town, pie social, kids games, food everywhere, parade, baseball game between the two city adult teams (baseball is huge there), fire truck rides, and fireworks.

there are two motivations in sports, which is yours?
  • imagejmccall79:

What the heck is Festivus?

It's a holiday that Frank Costanza (yes, a character from Seinfeld) made up to protest the commercial-ism of Christmas. Instead of a tree, there's a pole. Other traditions include the Airing of Grievances and Feats of Strength. Best Festivus evar was when we actually did the FoS last year. I almost wet my pregnant self I was laughing so hard at everyone battling (it was a crab-walk battle to the death, so freaking funny).

We've celebrated for years. We used to take a tree vs. pole vote every year, but the conservatives kept winning (tree), so we gave up on that. Instead, my dad wraps random stuff from Fleet Farm in newspaper and we open one a day. And then sit around and do puzzles. The TV is rarely turned on for Festivus, which usually spans a week or so after Christmas.

My little cousin actually thinks this is normal, because she grew up with it.

Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • imagekleMcK:
    imagejmccall79:

It's a holiday that Frank Costanza (yes, a character from Seinfeld) made up to protest the commercial-ism of Christmas. Instead of a tree, there's a pole. Other traditions include the Airing of Grievances and Feats of Strength. Best Festivus evar was when we actually did the FoS last year. I almost wet my pregnant self I was laughing so hard at everyone battling (it was a crab-walk battle to the death, so freaking funny).

We've celebrated for years. We used to take a tree vs. pole vote every year, but the conservatives kept winning (tree), so we gave up on that. Instead, my dad wraps random stuff from Fleet Farm in newspaper and we open one a day. And then sit around and do puzzles. The TV is rarely turned on for Festivus, which usually spans a week or so after Christmas.

LOVE it... I forgot about Festevus

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For me it used to Thanksgiving and when i was still dating dh i had dreams of lovely family get togethers over a gorgeous table and lots of fun and laughs. But now it's always me cringing as his obnoxious uncouth relatives throw olives at each other, burp and fart and curse at the table... Ughhh.... Needless to say i am dreading my formerly favorite holiday each year. Hopefully my daughter will not start acting like that some day...
  • imagekleMcK:
    imagejmccall79:

This is amazing. Last year H bought me all of the seasons of Seinfeld on DVD because I kept making references that he didn't get. We just watched the Festivus episode a few days ago.

• imagemydawn:

This is amazing. Last year H bought me all of the seasons of Seinfeld on DVD because I kept making references that he didn't get. We just watched the Festivus episode a few days ago.

I was just reading quotes from the episode on the Festivus wikipedia site. And laughing to myself. My husband doesn't think Seinfeld is funny. I'm really hoping LO gets my sense of humor.

Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • imagekleMcK:

I was just reading quotes from the episode on the Festivus wikipedia site. And laughing to myself. My husband doesn't think Seinfeld is funny. I'm really hoping LO gets my sense of humor.

Blasphemy!

• sometimes it's amusing.  it has it's moments, but I have other reruns I'd rather watch.
    there are two motivations in sports, which is yours?
  • imageuws22:
    sometimes it's amusing.  it has it's moments, but I have other reruns I'd rather watch.

Fair enough. It was not a very popular show where H lived so he had never seen it before. Had it not been for that, I'm not sure I would be watching them all again.

• Haha! One of our friends has a Festivus party every year. It's the best!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I chose Christmas, but my Irish half is yelling at my since I didn't pick St. Patty's Day. It's seriously a close 2nd.
    January2014 Blog ** Admin to the January 2014 FB group!
  • Ok Kle, flame away, I HATE Seinfeld! LOL!  I guess that's why I had no idea what Festivus is.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"