Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

KC_13

Thanks so much for telling me about your LO in my "Frantic" thread.  May I ask what course of treatment you undertook for the motor planning problems?  So far, my pediatrician has prescribed my LO physical therapy 2x/week, but I'm wondering if he should also be getting occupational therapy.  Also, how did the motor planning problems manifest in your LO?  Was it delays in gross/fine motor skills?  My LO's motor planning problems seems to be evident in the way he grasps for objects and in his foot placement when cruising. 

Re: KC_13

• Options

The motor planning issues were present in both his speech attempts and activities (like playing a game where he'd have to pick up a toy/go down the slide/put it in the bucket at the end of the slide or sorting toys to put in the correct bin--he was much older than 11 months though). I never knew there were any problems when he was your son's age so I can't really say what he did at 11 months that was indicative of motor planning difficulties. His gross motor skills were actually above average but fine motor was more of a struggle.

OT was very helpful with regards to motor planning as well as lots of practice with simple games to help improve it. I think a lot of it just came with getting older as well. I noticed every 6 months we'd have bursts of improvement--18 months wasn't much, but 2 was big as well as 2.5 after months of a plateau.

I would just stick with the PT especially if your child has areas of motor delay. They'll likely do similar activities that an OT would do anyway. If in another 6 months you're not seeing improvement, then I'd inquire about adding an OT.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"