April 2013 Moms

Okay Another Question

Crib Mattresses....I promise this is my last question about products for today. I'm too lazy to venture away to another board.

What's the difference between a 50 dollar crib mattress and a 200 crib mattress...is it the same logic as an adult mattress support etc??? Does this matter with an infant and later toddler?

What type of mattress did you get or are you going to get?

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                                                  

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

Re: Okay Another Question

• Ever since we got our Tempurpedic, DH refuses to buy another spring mattress.  And that includes for our LO.  We're going to get a Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress.  It's $129 at BRU and $125 on Amazon, so pretty mid-range price-wise, based on what I've seen. 

And we're hoping, because it's a foam-core, that it will last long enough to either move to the toddler bed or stay in the crib for the next LO (whichever comes first I guess).

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am using a hand me down mattress that my little brother used 20 years ago! I would still like to buy a new one but my mom seems to think it will be fine, and I'm not going to turn anything down, I need all the help I can get. Even if that means I have 5 swings and 6 rocking chairs lol (that seems to be what everyone wants to give me).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We have this one too: Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress.

Just needs to be a firm mattress. A plastic covered mattress will mean you don't need to keep a water proof mattress pad on it.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • The important thing with crib mattresses is the fit in the crib (tight with no gaps). Beyond that, its really just bells and whistles.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Lots of people will be grossed out by this, but we got ours off of craigslist.  It is a plastic covered mattress and I cleaned it before we used it.  Got it from a nice family with a clean house.....not just a piece of junk on the side of the road.  Our LO doesn't seem to have any problem with comfort. She sleeps like a champ.  I still use the waterproof mattress pad under her sheet for extra protection from the blow outs. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No idea!  I never spent a lot of money on anything for baby.  We got ours from BRU, but it was organic so probably in the $100 range.  It is dual sided, for infant & toddler.  I couldn't tell you much more about it.

I did want the organic one because I didn't want to worry about the gasses in the mattress considering how much time they spend in bed (she was in her crib from day 1).  If you were to really press me on the pros & cons on the organic issue, I couldn't speak to them. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • And to take the question a step further, how do you know if it is going to "fit tightly?" Do specific cribs have specific mattresses, etc?

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • A baby is so light, even when they're bigger in a toddler bed, that I didn't think it mattered too much. My daughter had a $30 mattress (it was on clearance) and used it in the crib and toddler bed. I did put a softer pad on it (waterproof), and that seemed to be more comfy as she got bigger and could complain about stuff, lol.
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageOhSewCrafty:
    The important thing with crib mattresses is the fit in the crib (tight with no gaps). Beyond that, its really just bells and whistles.

This!

We picked ours by going to Babies R Us.  Laying out our top choices on the floor and then I laid on all of them and rolled back and forth.  We picked the one I thought was the comfiest.  Did I mention I was 9 months pregnant when we did this?  Needless to say I got some looks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
    You fill me!!! Z! My BFP Chart
  • imageJSS1002:
    And to take the question a step further, how do you know if it is going to "fit tightly?" Do specific cribs have specific mattresses, etc?

There is a standard crib mattress size... MOST cribs use this standard, and will say it fits standard mattress sizes. However, there are some other cribs (IKEA maybe?) that don't fit this...

https://baby.about.com/od/sleep/f/What-Is-The-Standard-Mattress-Size.htm

carrie ~ me-at-carrie.cc ~ 4/21/2007
    * blog * first baby blog * baby 2.0 blog * twitter *

IMG_0578

• We are going to get the Serta Organic.
  • I got our graco crib from walmart.com during a special with free shipping and a free 60 serta mattress... my little guy always seems pretty comfy and.. really.. with the amount of pee and puke that thing gets on it I'm glad I didn't spend much on it lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"