August 2012 Moms

How not to pass cold to LO

I have come down with a cold.  I am so nervous that I am going to pass my cold onto DD.  I know I should still BF and I am washing my hands like crazy (they hurt) and I am trying to wash her hands since she always sticks them in her mouth.  I am hoping she does not get it.  I hate the thought of her getting sick. 

Anyone else sick and LO did not get it? 

995468_10151780121619767_1204953917_n
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How not to pass cold to LO

• No lol. A few weeks ago my whole family passed a cold around. It sucked! GL!
  • Just to reinterate, it's actually REALLY GOOD to breastfeed while you're sick since your body is producing antibodies to get you better and that is then transferred through your milk. So you being sick actually helps to build their immunity! ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We're just getting to the end of the nasty cold bug in our house. DH and I had it horribly (lasted over a week).  I BF and was told to continue doing so.  DD ended up getting a runny nose/congestion for two days but it was pretty quick.  She was even a smiley baby while the snot was running out of her nose :)  Apparently when you continue BF you pass along the antibodies that will protect baby from getting it or will give them a very small dose of the cold you got.
    734609_517665664943929_192232217_n Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepregnantchick:
    I was sick with a stomach bug last week and LO did not get it.nbsp; The pediatrician's nurse said it was fine to still BF, but said to wrap him in a blanket while doing so and to be vigilant about washing my hands. I did try to limit my contact with him otherwise though DH was in charge of bathtime and I tried not to hold him too much after BF.nbsp; Good luck and hope you feel better!

This. Except stomach virus is not airborne and the cold virus is. So on top of that you need to be careful about not breathing, coughing or sneezing into her face. That said, DS and I shared a cold last week and I think the bf really helped. He got over it much more quickly than I did. I squirt a little breast milk up his nose and that helped a lot I think.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• I started a REALLY bad cold about 2 weeks before I gave birth (yeah, going through labor while being sick and stuffed up is not fun! lol) and it didn't go away until DD2 was about 2 weeks old. She had about two days of a runny nose and that was it! I do BF so I think it definitely helped since I've heard they don't get as sick when you BF. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As hard as it is, I would say no kissing, at least not on the lips.  Colds are passed through bodily fluids (snot, spit, etc).  Besides that, just washing your hands when you blow your nose, sneeze, or cough and that's about it.  Oh I also lysoled my house down like a mad woman!  Smile

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageCaliVal:
    Just to reinterate, it's actually REALLY GOOD to breastfeed while you're sick since your body is producing antibodies to get you better and that is then transferred through your milk. So you being sick actually helps to build their immunity! ;)

This! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DH had something nasty when DD was born. He washed his hands all the time and wore a mask when he held her. You can get them at Target, Walgreens, etc.
    My IVF miracle after 3 losses and 4 years.
    imageimage

• Keep nursing!!  Your LO is very likely to avoid the cold because of the antibodies in your milk, and if she does get it, it will most likely be much shorter lived then yours.  I've nursed both boys through multiple colds, and those have been my experiences. 

Hope you feel better soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"