Breastfeeding
Options

Increasing from 1 to 3 pump sessions?

I go back to work in 2 weeks.  I've been pumping a few times a week -  mostly in the morning after DD's first feed or I pump when DH gives DD a botle.  DD gets a bottle a few times a week. 

So on average I pump once a day. 

However when I return to work I will need to pump 3 times a day.  There is a women's lounge in the women's bathroom that I can use.

Just curious if anyone had any issues from going from 1 pump a day to 3 pumps a day?  Or going from 1 bottle to 3 bottles per day.

Should I take a Sat/Sun when DH is home and try 3 pumps a day (as well as 3 bottles a day)? 

Or should I just not worry and just do it when I get back to work.

I have a small freezer stash just in case I need more (which reminds me I should count my freezer stash).

TIA

My Journey to Motherhood
Me 36, DH 42
7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
TTC Since January 2009
Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Girl # 2
TTC Since June 2013
Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
EDD 10/15/16
At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Increasing from 1 to 3 pump sessions?

• Options
    Shouldn't be a big deal. You're replacing your nursing sessions with pumping sessions, so no need to do a practice run if you don't want to. You may get less milk than LO needs - especially at first - but you may have no problems or more milk than she needs! You'll find out when you go back. As long as you have a freezer stash to help out, you can start adjusting what you need to do from there. Good luck!
    DX PCOS, Endometriosis 2009
    Eliot. Born 6/18/10
    Missed m/c discovered 1/6/12 at 8-9 weeks
    D&C 1/10/12
    My Blog
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Are you going back to work on lo's first day of daycare? You'll only need pumped milk for day 1, after that you can use Mondays milk for Tuesdays bottles, etc.

DS had no problems taking 3 bottles a day. I typically do not pump at home unless a rare situation so there's no need to do a test run at pumping.

I did pump 3x/day at work but have cut that down to 2 DS still takes 3 bottles but I can typically cover his milk in those 2 pumping sessions. You'll just have to see how it goes for you. Good luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for the replies ladies. 

I really didn't want to do a "practice run" with the multiple pumps this weekend while DH was home,  I prefer to nurse her when we are together.  I've really only been pumpin to build a stash and to have an occasional bottle (to make sure she'll take it, etc).

Yes, the pump sessions will replace her feedings.  So I'll have to see how much I get throughout the day, and adjust accordingly.

Thankfully my when I go back to work, my DH will be home with her for a weeks (yeah paternity leave!)  So that will hopefully make the transition for both me and DD a little easier.  She'll start daycare in January :-(

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42
    7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"