Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Nanny/sitter pay on off days

We pay our nanny (I'm calling her that because she does it for her living, as opposed to a high schooler or someone like that) per hour, $14/hr.  She only works Tuesday and Wednesday each week.

We agreed with her upfront that we would pay her for any days we cancelled and any holidays that fall on those days (like Christmas this year); days she cancelled we would not.

We never discussed natural disasters!  She was off yesterday for the storm.  Would you pay her for that day?  If it were just the one day, I would not hesitate to, but I'm thinking this may come up a few times this winter if it snows, and therefore want to think about it more and discuss it with her.  For yesterday, if it matters, she's off today because she has a stomach bug.  If she came today, I would have definitely paid her for yesterday, but now she's off the whole week- don't know why, but that makes me think about it more.  Then again, I don't want her missing a whole week of pay.  She does work the other days for other families, though.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I don't want to create an incentive for her to come to work sick by not paying her if she stays home sick, because obviously I don't want the baby to catch anything, but don't want to create an incentive for her to just stay home either.

What do you all do?

Re: Nanny/sitter pay on off days

• Options
    I would pay her for yesterday, but then talk to her about future happenings with weather... maybe do a reduced rate?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

At our center we pay half the fee if we take off the whole week, whole fee if they even go just 1 day.  Maybe half pay would be fair.  

Also, maybe make a rule for the future that she's expected to be there if school is in session and/or buses are running.  That's how ours are determined. 

image   image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds good.  Thanks all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"