High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

GD - when do you typically deliver?

Those with Gestational Diabetes - do you know if your doctor will let you go past 40 weeks if there are no complications? My doctor says they typically deliver GD patients at around 39 weeks because of the risk of larger baby? I guess my question is, if she's normal size by 40 weeks, why would they need to induce? Thanks!
~Melanie

TTC since July '09
Diagnosed with PCOS Feb '10
6/2010 - Natural M/C - made it to 5 weeks
10/2010 - D&C - made it to 7 weeks
6/2011 - Natural M/C - made it to 6 weeks
4/2012 - BFP! Beta#1 1401 20DPO
Beta #2 4327 24DPO
U/S 6w6d 134bpm heartrate! Baby Gummybear!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: GD - when do you typically deliver?

• Options
    With my first, I was on oral meds and they were going to let me go to 40 and then induce. With this one, I just went on insulin so they will only let me go to 39 and induce.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The main reason they induce for GD is that with diabetes you are at higher risk for having your placenta break down early. If you are on meds the risk can increase even more. I was induced at 39 weeks with DS who weighed only 6lbs9oz and will be induced again this time at 38w6d. Its not worth the risk in my opinion.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I was told not past 40 weeks, without meds last time.  I'm at a different practice this time.  But since it is a repeat c/s they will schedule it a week early.  I'm going to ask when we get closer to it about maybe waiting but at the same time I'm 98% sure the answer is going to be no because they like to have everything staffed and set up appropriately versus the scenario of going into labor on my own and needing to get a spot for a c/s.  Also, I understand that the healing process is different from laboring and then getting a c/s versus going straight to c/s like I did last time.

I had a scheduled c/s at 39 weeks because I also developed hypertension.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Im diet controlled and my OB said I could go a couple days past my due date, no more. My baby isn't measuring large, like pp said it is because of the risk of placenta issues.
    DD1 9.15.10  DD2 11.2.12
  • Options
    I will be induced between 37 and 38 weeks but I have some other complications besides GD.  My practice said they usually deliver normal GD women at 39 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"