December 2010 Moms
Options

Sharing

How do you teach a toddler to share toys?
Everytime Bishop and I are playing with toys Griff grabs them and runs off. If I say he has to share and hold the toy away from him then its tantrum city. If he has a toy and I ask if I can borrow it, of course he says no.
Today Griff had a hangy kinda toy so I showed him how to dangle it infront of Bishop in hopes of us all playing together. No, Griff whipped it around and poked my eye.
Hes not in daycare and not really around other kids. This is only going to get worse as Bishop gets older and wants to play with toys too.

Advice? Please and thanks!

Re: Sharing

• Options
    I just reiterate over and over that we have to take turns. Give B a toy (just put it next to him) that Griff likes. Have them take "turns". G doesn't get the toy next to B unless he gives up what he has first. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageChicagoBroad26:
    I just reiterate over and over that we have to take turns. Give B a toy just put it next to him that Griff likes. Have them take "turns". G doesn't get the toy next to B unless he gives up what he has first.nbsp;

I' ve tried this and G just collects both toys. Maybe part of this is discipline. I'm not good in that area. I just can't stand the tantrums.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagexxbabycakesxx:
    imageChicagoBroad26:
    I just reiterate over and over that we have to take turns. Give B a toy just put it next to him that Griff likes. Have them take "turns". G doesn't get the toy next to B unless he gives up what he has first.nbsp;
    I' ve tried this and G just collects both toys. Maybe part of this is discipline. I'm not good in that area. I just can't stand the tantrums.

Yeah, gotta put your foot down in this scenario. I feel you- Ava is a champion tantrum thrower and its so hard not to give in.  

• Options
    For us sharing is more like taking turns. I'm going to start working on "trading" though that way if A wants a toy J has he has to give him something else first. My sil said she uses the trading skill with her kids with good results.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageenjoylife:
    For us sharing is more like taking turns. I'm going to start working on "trading" though that way if A wants a toy J has he has to give him something else first. My sil said she uses the trading skill with her kids with good results.

This is what we do too.
    J offered to trade me his milk for my coffee today. Sometimes he'll still grab things from others and say "SHARE" so we're working on asking first now.

image   image

• Options
    Ok, I'll try harder with this taking turns thing! Griffs a really stubborn kid though!
  • Options
    We're working on this too.  G is pretty good with sharing with me, but not other kids.  We talk about sharing and taking turns when we're going to a playdate or the neighbor kids come over to play, and then I also reinforce it during our interactions.  Like, she wants something I have, and we briefly talk about how she's asking me to share what I have with her, or let her take a turn.  I'm hoping it eventually sinks in!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"