Babies: 3 - 6 Months

I did the thing you're not supposed to do...

For the past 2 nights I've put LO to sleep with me in the bed.

He's been extra fussy at night the last couple days- could be the teething, but I don't think it's entirely that. The last 2 nights, every time I'd put him in his crib to sleep (mind you, he was knocked out) he gets fussy and cries.

So...I put him to sleep in my bed and sure enough- he slept! Last night he went down 11:15 pm and didn't wake up til 7 this morning. 

Tell me this is ok...or not! Anyone done the same thing?! 

Re: I did the thing you're not supposed to do...

• We sleep on the sectional, so I do my best to have him sleep in the corner peice by himself, and when he gets fussy im only a pillow away should he need me to hold his hand or touch his face. I know its not good, but its the only way we both sleep!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We do the same thing unfortunately...i try to put him in his own bed and he wakes up and cries. I dont know what to do...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We cobed and have since birth.  Honestly, in your situation it would be safer for you to co-sleep (same room different spaces) bc you are only supposed to cobed under two if you breastfeed.  And please don't co-bed on a sofa as that is equally dangerous.
  • I haven't done it but have been tempted to do the same thing!  I think you are in survival mode, do what works for you!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yep, did it last night in fact.  This is the second time I've resorted to it, because it at least gets me a couple hours uninterrupted.  I think she is either teething or starting to experience separation anxiety. 

We already co-sleep, but she's in a bassinette.  But lately it's been pretty rough with her up every hour or more - it's like she just can't get in to that deep stage of sleep.  Last night for the first time ever I told DH I was going to lose it, so he got up with her, got her back to sleep... and then the next time (20 minutes later) she woke up I just brought her into bed.

It's not ideal, and certainly not a habit I want to encourage, but sometimes you just do what you have to.

• We have been bed sharing for months. We tried to transition her to the crib and it didn't go so well. Now I am back to bed sharing. If you do it safely then it is ok. L and I sleep in the guest room so it's just us two.

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • DS sleeps in his crib at night, but Saturday mornings, if we put him in bed with us after he wakes up, he will sleep for usually another hour, which really helps H and I with that extra hour of sleep... even though that hour for me is very light sleeping, it still helps
  • We do the exact same thing!!! :)
  • It's what works for us too.  Around 6 months I will try to transition to the crib.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I've not done this just because my son gets too excited being in bed with me and wants to talk and play, but I don't think it's nearly as risky now as it would have been with a (weaker, smaller) newborn. You do what you gotta do!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I think it's OK if you do it a couple times to get through the night but you don't want to make it a habit unless you're OK with continuing it for an extended period of time. Habits start to form at 4 months so it'll be easier for you to stop now. Waiting till your LO is 6 months will pretty much ensure that you'll need to use the CIO method cause by then they'll be too used to sleeping with you and won't go down alone without a big fight.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagetheresat858:

There is nothing wrong with cosleeping if it is done safely and all parties involved are okay with it.

Please read up on safe cosleeping, though - Limited blankets (only to your waist) and no pillows, a bed rail or bed against the wall so baby cannot roll out, noone in bed on intoxicating substances or sleep medications, baby between mom and the wall not next to daddy.

THIS. Sleeping with your infant of your chest, on a pillow or on the couch is not safe. It only takes one reckless night to end in tragedy.  

• Why only if you are breastfeeding?  What does that have to do with it?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelemon.sarie:
    Why only if you are breastfeeding?  What does that have to do with it?

the short reason is bc there is a biological difference (hormones, arousal, etc) b/n a mom that ff and bf.  in the research they found that bf moms were easier to arouse, more prone to sleep in safer positions ad woke more frequently as well as their babies. 

• imagelemon.sarie:

Because moms that BF obviously love their kids more. Duh. Confused Seriously, I hate when I see people on here saying that only BFing moms can cosleep because they are more "in tune" with their babies. That's such bull$hit IMO and only makes FFing moms feel like $hit.

• imagetonir319:

imagelemon.sarie:

Because moms that BF obviously love their kids more. Duh. Confused Seriously, I hate when I see people on here saying that only BFing moms can cosleep because they are more "in tune" with their babies. That's such bull$hit IMO and only makes FFing moms feel like $hit.

No one is trying to make FF moms feel bad. Obviously FF moms can cosleep if they want to, but it is scientifically proven that BF moms are more biologically in tune with their babies and share similar sleep cycles so they are more easily roused, because of the hormones produced by breastfeeding. Research backs it up: https://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/articles.html

Bedsharing is perfectly fine if you follow the guidelines for safe bedsharing that a PP posted. We bedshare for part of every night after he wakes to nurse around 2am and love it. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • imagetonir319:

imagelemon.sarie:

my intent wasn't to make anyone feel bad, but like poster below you posted there is a hormonal response that doesn't happen when FF.  obviously you still love your child. 

• Interesting links - althogh when reading the papers linked there, it does not state that cobed is only safe for breastfed babies, only that breastfed babies feed more at night when sleeping with their mothers - and this may reduce SIDS because of the potential increase in antibodies.

The articles also mention that mothers will have a hormonal response to changes in breathing of baby, potentially also reducing SIDS by waking the mother - but not specifically only in breastfed babies (I doubt there is any research in cobedding with non-breastfeeding mothers to compare to that would demonstrate that ANY mother wouldn't have a similar response, regadless of how baby is fed).

So - I don't see any research in the linked articles that supports the statement that only BFing mothers are going to have the hormonal response.  It is easy to jump to conclusions, but at least the link above doesn't support that statement.

I didn't mean to spark a debate- it's just something I've never heard before (bedsharing if breastfeeding only - of course using safe guidlines etc.). 

Having coslept with 3 babies, whilst breastfeeding or EPing or FFing - I wake frequently regardless, but it works for us.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelemon.sarie:

Interesting links - althogh when reading the papers linked there, it does not state that cobed is only safe for breastfed babies, only that breastfed babies feed more at night when sleeping with their mothers - and this may reduce SIDS because of the potential increase in antibodies.

The articles also mention that mothers will have a hormonal response to changes in breathing of baby, potentially also reducing SIDS by waking the mother - but not specifically only in breastfed babies (I doubt there is any research in cobedding with non-breastfeeding mothers to compare to that would demonstrate that ANY mother wouldn't have a similar response, regadless of how baby is fed).

So - I don't see any research in the linked articles that supports the statement that only BFing mothers are going to have the hormonal response.  It is easy to jump to conclusions, but at least the link above doesn't support that statement.

I didn't mean to spark a debate- it's just something I've never heard before (bedsharing if breastfeeding only - of course using safe guidlines etc.). 

Having coslept with 3 babies, whilst breastfeeding or EPing or FFing - I wake frequently regardless, but it works for us.

dr. Mckennas book goes into more detail if you are interested.   https://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Your-Baby-Parents-Cosleeping/dp/1930775342/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351652801&sr=8-1&keywords=Dr.+McKenna

• imagelemon.sarie:

Interesting links - althogh when reading the papers linked there, it does not state that cobed is only safe for breastfed babies, only that breastfed babies feed more at night when sleeping with their mothers - and this may reduce SIDS because of the potential increase in antibodies.

in response to the baby's breathing part that is why he advocates co-sleeping for everyone but just bed sharing for bf babies.

• Having probs w my iPad so excuse the three separate posts.  Perhaps one of these articles would explain:

https://cosleeping.nd.edu/articles-and-presentations/articles-and-essays/

• imagecatmtl:
    I think it's OK if you do it a couple times to get through the night but you don't want to make it a habit unless you're OK with continuing it for an extended period of time. Habits start to form at 4 months so it'll be easier for you to stop now. Waiting till your LO is 6 months will pretty much ensure that you'll need to use the CIO method cause by then they'll be too used to sleeping with you and won't go down alone without a big fight.

I bed shared with DS and we had a very easy transition to his crib at 8 months, no CIO or big fights. I plan to do the same with DD.

OP as long as you are safe about it it will be fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"