Preemies

NYC NICUs

my thoughts and prayers are with the babies, families, nurses, and doctors that had to evacuate from the NICUs in NYC last night...  my heart is breaking just thinking of what those families are going through.  If anyone on here was involved and needs anything please let me know 

imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: NYC NICUs

• How terrible! My thought and prayers are with you all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This was posted on the "It's a preemie thing" Facebook page... 

"NYU hospital backup generator failure. Personnel manually evacuating PICU/NICU down 9 flights of stairs." I've confirmed there are many reports of NICU nurses manually bagging (forcing air into lungs) ventilator-dependent preemies down 9 pitch-black flights of stairs. For those of us who've seen our babies "bagged for survival" at birth or in an emergency situation, we can taste how dire this is.

You don't have to be a parent of a preemie or baby who's been in the PICU to imagine what a nightmare this is for physicians, nurses, respiratory therapists, parents -- and worst off -- those fragile beings totally dependent on O2, ventilators, nitric oxide machines, machinated medication and TPN nutrition tubes dependent on ( now human) power for each and every breath.

May this coordination effort and rescue mission be blessed with NICU/PICU staff & families working in sync with an overwhelming amount of back-up help flowing effortlessly from staff in units less impacted with insanely efficient transit (when possible) to help, power, safety.

Bless this stairwell. Calm, light and visions of survival to these defenseless sweet littles and the heroes who care for them daily. I know what NICU nurses (i.e. professional life-savers) are made of and that alone gives comfort. WITH YOU, NYU stairwell. All 9 floors. Breathing in and out with you babies. Come ON, preemie community (and beyond) ... time to send each breath east. BREATHE BABIES. 

ETA- I'm crying again just reading it.   

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • imagePhillyGal34:

This was posted on the "It's a preemie thing" Facebook page... 

"NYU hospital backup generator failure. Personnel manually evacuating PICU/NICU down 9 flights of stairs." I've confirmed there are many reports of NICU nurses manually bagging (forcing air into lungs) ventilator-dependent preemies down 9 pitch-black flights of stairs. For those of us who've seen our babies "bagged for survival" at birth or in an emergency situation, we can taste how dire this is.

You don't have to be a parent of a preemie or baby who's been in the PICU to imagine what a nightmare this is for physicians, nurses, respiratory therapists, parents -- and worst off -- those fragile beings totally dependent on O2, ventilators, nitric oxide machines, machinated medication and TPN nutrition tubes dependent on ( now human) power for each and every breath.

May this coordination effort and rescue mission be blessed with NICU/PICU staff & families working in sync with an overwhelming amount of back-up help flowing effortlessly from staff in units less impacted with insanely efficient transit (when possible) to help, power, safety.

Bless this stairwell. Calm, light and visions of survival to these defenseless sweet littles and the heroes who care for them daily. I know what NICU nurses (i.e. professional life-savers) are made of and that alone gives comfort. WITH YOU, NYU stairwell. All 9 floors. Breathing in and out with you babies. Come ON, preemie community (and beyond) ... time to send each breath east. BREATHE BABIES. 

ETA- I'm crying again just reading it.   

Seriously.  I've got tears in my eyes just reading that!  I was just reading about this on Twitter.  I can't even imagine. 

• oh that's awful!  My prayers are with them!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I definitely teared up too. :( My heart breaks completely for these families having to go through so much stress and worry.
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageBostonKisses2:
    There's an update on the Peek-A-Boo ICU page that the intake at NY Presbyterian went well and the babies are all in good hands, so that's a huge relief.  My T&Ps are with the NICU staff at both hospitals, the babies, and their families.  I cannot imagine having to evacuate during a hurricane on top of the regular NICU stress.

Thank you!!! I've been wondering about them all night/day.  So thankful that they all did well... those nurses and doctors deserve medals!  

ETA- the pictures are amazing and making me cry all over.  I cannot imagine what those families are going through. I wish there was something I could do to help them!

There is video on CNN.. watching those tiny babies on the gurneys and  the nurse holding that baby like she would do anything to protect it brought me to tears... yet again. I'm having trouble stopping them now.  So amazing that they are all doing well, someone is definitely watching over them. Whatever or whoever you believe in... they were being protected! 

imageimage

• Tps with those babies their families. Praying for strength for these parents, cuz I started crying just reading this post, I sure don't think I could have made it through the actual thing, so glad for them that the evacuation went well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just saw the clip on CNN (the nurse manually helping the NICU baby breathe) and I am crying.  My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to the families and nurses.  I couldn't imagine all of that on top of the usual NICU stress.
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

imageimage
    PAIF and SAIF welcome. IVF questions welcome, too.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I just flipped it to CNN and they are showing the clip and I am crying as I am typing this. I couldnt even imagine... I am praying for all those affected.
  • Good news. They all made the move safely. An update was just posted :
    imageimage

• I just saw the video on CNN and I'm crying! I can't image what those parents and children must be going through.  NICU is hard enough, you shouldn't have to deal with natural disasters as well.  My T&Ps are with those families tonight.
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"