Success after IF

Advice from PCOS'ers

Ok I have PCOS and with DD I attempted to breast feed but didn't gave too much luck due to milk supply. I had read somewhere that taking metformin the entire pregnancy and after could help women with PCOS with milk supply. Anyone hear about this or have any advice. My ob is trying to take me off the metformin and I just wanted to know if it is worth a try so I can be more successful BF this time around. TIA
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers TTC#1: DX with PCOS 3 IUIs all = BFN injections + IUI = BFP twins lost twin B at 8 weeks Our mircale arrived 09/30/08 TTC#2: since January 2009 2 IUIs + injections in 2010 = BFN Feb 2012: injection with Bravelle/Menopur=BFN April 2012: Letrozole+injection with Menopur= failed cycle May 2012: Letrozole+injection with Menopur=BFP June 5, 2012 Beta #1 = 2023 knew something was wrong with that number MC @ 5w5d had D&C on Friday, June 15, 2012 August 2012: Letrozole + Menopur = BFP August 29, 2012 Beta #1 = 9.5 hoping it goes up Beta #2 - 369.9 yay!!! Beta #3 - 7685 1st ultrasound 09/12/12 It's a BOY!!! image KStar Design.com IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Advice from PCOS'ers

• I have no idea about the reasoning behind that. But I did take Metformin my whole pregnancy. It helped with my GD too. I am very successfully BFing and have over 500 oz in the freezer. I have no idea if its related to the Metformin. Not sure how it could affect my milk supply months later.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know about it's effectiveness during pregnancy in regards to milk production afterwards, however my LC suggested I ask my OB for it when I was 6 weeks pp due to low milk production.  I ended up getting on track using fenugreek, mothers milk tea, and extra pumping.  I'm not sure I would want to be on a prescription med that isn't necessary without knowing that it would accomplish what you want it to accomplish.  And if you can always add it back in after LO is born if you need it, personally I would wait until pp and see if you even need it.  But that's just my opinion, definitely ask your doctor.  GL.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I took fenugreek and was prescribed domperidone by my doctor to help with milk supply as a only pumped. These two above worked for me.
    TTC #1 April 2009 Dx with PCOS September 2009 TI w Clomid x3 = BFNs IUI w Clomid = BFN TI w Clomid = BFP! August 2010 We are blessed. TTC #2 TTC on our own August & September 2012 = BFN x 2 (so I thought) Appt w RE Oct 2012 and got a BFP that day! Thank you, Lord. Nov 23 7 week u/s - so far so good. Jan 3 12 week u/s - still going strong. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageTJ1979:
    I don't know about it's effectiveness during pregnancy in regards to milk production afterwards, however my LC suggested I ask my OB for it when I was 6 weeks pp due to low milk production.  I ended up getting on track using fenugreek, mothers milk tea, and extra pumping.  I'm not sure I would want to be on a prescription med that isn't necessary without knowing that it would accomplish what you want it to accomplish.  And if you can always add it back in after LO is born if you need it, personally I would wait until pp and see if you even need it.  But that's just my opinion, definitely ask your doctor.  GL.

I also was successful with fenugreek and extra pumping in the beginning and never had supply issues.  The lcs told me the key was pumping in addition to nursing during the first 6 weeks to trick my body into thinking I had multiples. Nix successfully bf until I weaned to start my next cycle.  Good luck!

TTC since April 2009 dx = PCOS; TTC History for DS - A FET miracle after 7 IUIs; 2 fresh transfers, and 1 other FET resulted in BFNs. Hoping and Praying for baby #2: Cycle 1 - FET; November 2012 BFN Next Steps - who knows? Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was able to successfully BF for 7.5 months. I did use fenugreek month 45. I pumped once a day in addition to EBF and had over 300oz in the freezer when I stopped.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I have never taken met.  I had a rough time BFing with my first and struggled with latch and supply.  I only nursed 12weeks.  I then went on to nurse my 2nd for 7 months and my 3rd for 13 months.  I did struggle with supply for a bit with my 2nd too but I feel like almost everyone I know seems to deal with that with BFing and they are not all PCOSers.  All I am saying is the difficulties you may have had the first time might not be from your PCOS.

Good luck! :) 

Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
  • I have PCOS and bf'd DS until he self-weaned at 19 months.  The only time I had any kind of supply problem was when I had oversupply/milk imbalance after DS did a 24 hour nursing session during his 6 week growth spurt.  It took a few weeks to realize what was going on/correct but after that wasn't a problem.  I started working when he was 9 months and there were a few times that I had to pump in the middle of the night but that was because I wasn't very vigilant about pumping all the time especially since I only worked part time and didn't feel the need to pump on the other days anyway.  I've never been on Metformin.  I'm not sure what being on it during pregnancy would do to help after birth.  If it is something that's supposed to help then I would consult your pedi about it since they deal with nursing mothers more than OBs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"