Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Yeast infection!

So this is TMI but I need some advice please if possible.
My husband and I had sex last night, like we always do, and it hurt and burned so I knew something was up. I was hoping the pain would be gone in the morning and assumed it was irritation from having sex more often than normal.
But sure enough it's definitely a yeast infection!
My question is, I'm using Monistat 3 and its says on the box no intercourse. Has anyone ever used Monistat and still had sex?
We are TTC and I'm worried we will miss our window this month if we wait the 3 days. Although I do not chart and haven't used OPKS this month so I have no idea if I am in fact ovulating. We are just winging it.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Yeast infection!

• Options
    I personally would follow the instructions on the box. 

• Options

imageBanker&BSN:

Agree with this .... 

And are you sure it's not a UTI?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Follow the directions. You do not want to deal with that pain and discomfort for longer than you have too. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageBankerBSN:
    I personally would follow the instructions on the box.nbsp;

Yea that's what I thought. Not what I want to do but I also want this gone!
  • Options

imageBanker&BSN:

Me too. You don't want to risk making things worse.

My Chart Me: 29  H: 29

DS born August 2013

• Options
    imageaessary03:

imageBanker&BSN:

Agree with this .... 

And are you sure it's not a UTI?

No I'm not entirely sure. Just going by symptoms. If it doesn't get better I will be calling my doctor.
  • Options
    Have you ever used Monostat?? Sex while using it would be a mess I would think. Not advisable

BFP#1.11/2/12-EDD 7/16/13-M/C.11/6/12
    BFP#2 1/2/13 EDD 9/13/13 DS#2 8/19/13!

My Ovulation Chart || Ovulation Chart 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

A couple of things: in the future, don't use Monistat without consulting your doctor. I know it's an OTC treatment, but Monistat (especially the 1-day kind) can end up making you resistant to yeast infection medication in the future. But keep using this pack, because if you stop now it's just as bad.

I'd skip the sex, especially if you're not even sure you're ovulating. Your husband can also get a yeast infection from you if you have unprotected sex. It's not as common for men, but it happens.

I promise to never forget that this little dude deserves just as much love after the baby comes as he has now.
    imageimageimageimage
    Me & H: 28 TTC #1 since 7/12...come on baby!
  • Options
    If you do not follow the directions, your YI will not go away. You also can give the YI to your husband and then you'll just be passing it back and forth. 
  • Options

Also, if you find that you're prone to yeast infections (which may be the case, especially since you'll be having more sex now that you're TTC), some women have found that eating yogurt with live active cultures in it helps. 

And, I didn't say this before, but I'm sorry you're dealing with this discomfort. I used to be on swim team + BCP which meant YIs all the time. There are some good natural remedies you can try if you think you feel one coming on...but I'll let you do your own research on that and ask your doctor before trying anything. 

I promise to never forget that this little dude deserves just as much love after the baby comes as he has now.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    imageBankerBSN:
    I personally would follow the instructions on the box.nbsp;

This X 10,000
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    That was another question I had, if my husband could be infected. And I assumed yes. Also I know I really should have consulted my doctor, I just couldn't take it anymore. I won't be having sex, not that it would be comfortable any ways!
    Thank you for all your advice!
  • Options

I'd go to the doctor and get oral diflucan. 1 pill and it's gone, no creams up the vag. And since you're TTC and likely going to get more infections, have some refills on hand.

My cat can read EKGs, can your human do that?
    ♥BFP#1 12-23-12, M/C 12-31-12 at 5w4d♥
    ♥BFP#2 05-09-13, EDD 01-15-14. C/S 12-23-13 at 36w5d for complete previa. Healthy baby boy♥

• Options
    I agree with the PP's re: no sex, finishing the treatment and consulting a dr if you're not sure that it's a YI. I know when I have a YI, I want nothing in the world more than for it to GO AWAY ASAP.  Awful.
    Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageMindyBadger1:
    I'd go to the doctor and get oral diflucan. 1 pill and it's gone, no creams up the vag. And since you're TTC and likely going to get more infections, have some refills on hand. nbsp;

1 pill and gone sounds amazing right now! Ill call my doctor in the morning!
  • Options
    Scratch the diflucan- it's pregnancy category D....  holy crap

♥BFP#2 05-09-13, EDD 01-15-14. C/S 12-23-13 at 36w5d for complete previa. Healthy baby boy♥

• Options

wait, category C in the US. I'd probably still take it if I knew 100% I wasn't knocked up (i.e. on my period).

Use the monistat and wait for next cycle to TTC.. and I agree to see a doctor and r/o UTI unless you have cottage cheese discharge and are 100% sure.

• Options
    I would follow the instructions from Monistat. Abstain from sex until it clears up. I hope you feel better. Yeast infections are really uncomfortable.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageGhostMonkey:

imageMindyBadger1:

Hey genius- she's not pregnant.

Thank you Ghost!
    Definitely not pregnant yet this month.
  • Options
    imageDLC516:
    imageGhostMonkey:

imageMindyBadger1:

Thank you Ghost! Definitely not pregnant yet this month.

Ask your doctor. 

If you could be ovulating, and are actively TTC, it might be too close. I don't know what the half-life is, and sometimes it requires a second dose. 

Ghost- get bent. and I mean that in a good way. 

• Options
    imageMindyBadger1:
    imageDLC516:
    imageGhostMonkey:

imageMindyBadger1:

Thank you Ghost! Definitely not pregnant yet this month.

Ask your doctor. 

If you could be ovulating, and are actively TTC, it might be too close. I don't know what the half-life is, and sometimes it requires a second dose. 

Ghost- get bent. and I mean that in a good way. 

:::eyeroll:::

• Options

imageMindyBadger1:

It's category C for the one-dose course, and D for longer than the one-dose course. Still, most OB's won't give it to pregnant women and would likely rec Monistat if there's a chance she could be pregnant. Be careful what you're recommending. 

Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Isn't yeast infections common in pregnancy? Because of the hormone changes? I thought I read that somewhere. Im sure an OB would recommend some kind of relief for a pregnant woman.
    Either way I am not pregnant considering AF isn't due for another week.
  • Options

I wouldn't condemn you for doing it... I would probably do it, because they can be miserable infections. I just didn't want to mislead you after I had a feeling it might be higher than a category B. Glad I checked, I have a personal stash of them. 

You have to get an Rx- ask your doctor. 

Ps. Banker is obsessed is with me.... and I like it.

• Options
    imageDLC516:
    Isn't yeast infections common in pregnancy?: YES

I thought I read that somewhere. Im sure an OB would recommend some kind of relief for a pregnant woman.: YES

<3 *Evan Michael* <3
    {06/15/2010 ~ 9lbs. 4oz, 22.5in.}
    <3 *Twin Angel Babies* <3
    {Said Goodbye on 08/13/2011 at 17w3d}
    No longer TTC
    *~Kisses to My Bestie Boo, ScrappyLika~*

• Options
    imageMindyBadger1:
    Ps. Banker is obsessed is with me....

BAAAHAHAHA.

Right.
    <3 *Evan Michael* <3
    {06/15/2010 ~ 9lbs. 4oz, 22.5in.}
    <3 *Twin Angel Babies* <3
    {Said Goodbye on 08/13/2011 at 17w3d}
    No longer TTC
    *~Kisses to My Bestie Boo, ScrappyLika~*

• Options
    imageMindyBadger1:

I wouldn't condemn you for doing it... I would probably do it, because they can be miserable infections. I just didn't want to mislead you after I had a feeling it might be higher than a category B. Glad I checked, I have a personal stash of them. 

Regardless of Banker's views of you, and I know you're only trying to help, but just want to give you a friendly warning  to try to avoid giving out medical advice here. I think I remember you're a PA student from previous posts, which is great, but you run the risk of people either overly trusting your advice, like would have happened here if you hadn't corrected yourself, or of irritating people by acting like your advice is more valuable than yours. Tread carefully.

Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageGhostMonkey:

imageMindyBadger1:
    Scratch the diflucan- it's pregnancy category D....&nbsp; holy crap

&nbsp;

Lol
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageGuillerma:
    imageMindyBadger1:

Regardless of Banker's views of you, and I know you're only trying to help, but just want to give you a friendly warning  to try to avoid giving out medical advice here. I think I remember you're a PA student from previous posts, which is great, but you run the risk of people either overly trusting your advice, like would have happened here if you hadn't corrected yourself, or of irritating people by acting like your advice is more valuable than yours. Tread carefully.

Yes  I agree. I don't know *** about pregnant people.

• Options
    imageGhostMonkey:

YI and UTI's are commonly misdiagnosed when self diagnosis is performed. Consult a doctor.

This actually happened to me when I was like 18. I swore I had a YI and bought an OTC kit. It wasn't going away and next thing I knew I had a terrible fever... went to the ER and it had progressed to a kidney infection. It was incredibly uncomfortable. I'd never had a UTI before so I didn't have any idea what it felt like. Your best bet is to just go to the doctor, that way you know for sure and get treated for it accordingly.

Baby Boy Due December 29th!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagetinydove:
    imageGhostMonkey:

YI and UTI's are commonly misdiagnosed when self diagnosis is performed. Consult a doctor.

&nbsp;

This actually happened to me when I was like 18. I swore I had a YI and bought an OTC kit. It wasn't going away and next thing I knew I had a terrible fever... went to the ER and it had progressed to a kidney infection. It was incredibly uncomfortable. I'd never had a UTI before so I didn't have any idea what it felt like. Your best bet is to just go to the doctor, that way you know for sure and get treated for it accordingly.

Yikes! That's awful! I've never had a UTI before, my mother has them a lot now that she's going thru menopause, my symptoms are just not lining up with a UTI. I have the cottage cheese nasty discharge, itchy, red, swollen etc. TMI. I will make sure to check in with my doctor though so I won't end up in the ER. Thank you again for all your advice!
  • Options
    imageDLC516:
    imagetinydove:
    imageGhostMonkey:

Yikes! That's awful! I've never had a UTI before, my mother has them a lot now that she's going thru menopause, my symptoms are just not lining up with a UTI. I have the cottage cheese nasty discharge, itchy, red, swollen etc. TMI. I will make sure to check in with my doctor though so I won't end up in the ER. Thank you again for all your advice!

Blech. Ick!

Yeah sounds like a yeast infection.

Baby Boy Due December 29th!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That cream can also do a number on your husband's peen. I bet he'd appreciate that.

When I had a YI while TTC, my OB advised no sex for a week after treatment begins. So, I agree with the others who recommended that you take care of yourself and worry about sex next moth. Feel bettah, yo.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    OP you should eat the Monistat. That way no chemicals/cream get on hubster but you still get the effects of the medication.
    Dedos de salsicha para o seu prazer...
  • Options
    imageHawkeyeTTGP:
    OP you should eat the Monistat. That way no chemicals/cream get on hubster but you still get the effects of the medication.

I really don't think there is a need for that.
  • Options

imageBanker&BSN:

Yes This and I would contact a doctor to make sure it is a yeast infection and not something else.

• Options

I went to the ob for a yeast infection last week. Then I ended up getting my first uti after. Not saying this will happen to you, I just have bad luck, and if you feel off after tacking monistat go to the Dr again.

Also, I agree that you should follow the instructions on the box.  

• Options
    imageMindyBadger1:
    imageGuillerma:
    imageMindyBadger1:

Yes  I agree. I don't know *** about pregnant people.

During my Yeast Years, which is what I call the time period in college when I was a swimmer on BCPs and thus got one pretty much every time I made whoopie, my doctor told me that the pill is pretty serious stuff and can also cause you to be resistant to treatments. She told me that Monistat 7 is the best bet once you have YI, but even better is to know how to take preventative action if you know you're prone to infection. I know you're in the medical field, but it seems like nobody, especially not the OP who has never even had a UTI, should be self-diagnosing and treating with heavy(ish) duty drugs.

OP, UTI symptoms can vary. You're probably correct that you have a YI, especially if you've been diagnosed by a doctor in the past so you know what you're dealing with, but trust me when I tell you that the last thing you want is resistance to basic YI treatments. 

imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    imageMindyBadger1:

I'd go to the doctor and get oral diflucan. 1 pill and it's gone, no creams up the vag. And since you're TTC and likely going to get more infections, have some refills on hand.

This. I am extremely prone to yeast infections. So much so that I have an endless refill supply of Diflucan from my dr...for me Monistat never works, only makes it burn like a mother. And sex while using Monistat is a BADDDD idea!! Let the infection go away before you have sex or you will end up prolonging it and possibly spreading it to your hubby. Trust me, I unfortunately have become a yeast infection expert! lol

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP#2 Nov 2005. Baby's heart stopped @ 8w3d. D&C Jan 2006. Trisomy 18
    BFP#3 Nov 2006. My "miracle baby" DD born 7/25/07
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

BFP#5 11/9/13.  EDD 7/21/14  Our beautiful rainbow born on his due date!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"