Breastfeeding

has anyone seen any major increase in pumping?

LO is 3.5 mos old.  I work full-time.  I had low supply with DS#1 and now am facing low supply with DD, too!  Grr.  I am renting a Medela Symphony, pumping 3 times at work, 2 times at home + feeding her.  She is still exclusively on BM.  Pumping 5 times in 24 hours gets me a whole flippin' 14 oz. 

I only get 2-4 oz per session at the pump.  I need to make more milk.  I am on Go-Lacta + More Milk Plus Special Blend (highest doses of each).  drink tons of water, eat TONS, do steel cut oats everyday, etc.  Have any of you made really great strides in pumping volume?  What did you do to increase your output?  I am really struggling here...feel like crying everytime I am done pumping and after 20+ minutes, 3 let-down buttons later...all I get is 2.75 oz.  For Pete's sake!  This pump is supposed to be the best.  And, while I have a session or two of 5 or 6 oz over the last 6 wks or so, it is mostly just mediocre.  Please help!  Thanks so much.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: has anyone seen any major increase in pumping?

• I'm right there with you - I've tried everything and with 6 sessions get a whopping 15-16oz. It's so discouraging!!! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Have you tried fenugreek, mothers milk tea, or lactation cookies? You can also try power pumping every night for a week.
    Could it be the pump? Do you replace the white membrane regularly?
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not seeing how you have low supply unless you are EPing. I get. 12 to 15 oz out of four sessions, and that is more than enough to get her through the day and freeze some. I tend to get 5 to six oz the first pump of the day, then 3 to 4, then 2 to three, and about two my last session of the day.
  • imageTJ1979:
    Have you tried fenugreek, mothers milk tea, or lactation cookies? You can also try power pumping every night for a week. Could it be the pump? Do you replace the white membrane regularly?

I am on more milk plus special blend which is  fenugreek,nblessed thistle, etc. lactation cookies haven't given me a boost...but worth another shot for sure. I do drink the tea quite a bit, too. Power pumping every night- great idea!  Thanks.  I just replaced the membrane, yesterday, funny you should ask! :) 

• imageI am Marla Singer:
    I'm not seeing how you have low supply unless you are EPing. I get. 12 to 15 oz out of four sessions, and that is more than enough to get her through the day and freeze some. I tend to get 5 to six oz the first pump of the day, then 3 to 4, then 2 to three, and about two my last session of the day.

I hear ya.  With ds I would have been fine, but this little chick is an eater.  Our dcp is awesome at not over feeding or offering food first.  But...I feel like she is barely making it thru the day w. the 14 oz I send with her. I am gone about 11 hrs...killer commute.... 

• imagetheresat858:

imagetexasmeg1:
    I'm right there with you - I've tried everything and with 6 sessions get a whopping 15-16oz. It's so discouraging!!! 

Why do you need more than that?

How long are you away from baby?

For an 8 hour work day, baby should need, on average, 9-12 ounces. More than that could be issues with overfeeding from the bottle rather than babies actual need.  DD was being overfed and now happily takes only 12 ounces a day.

This is when I only pump for the day. I am SAHM and we had weight gain issues so I rented a scale and she was actually less efficient than the pump (probably bc my body got used to the pump?). So I get that total and have to give a 8-10oz formula a day. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"