Adoption

Is my profile book to long?

Settling in on the East Coast waiting out Frakenstorm? perfect time to work on our profile book!

At first I was worried we did not have enough pics / text.  I have put together a draft, and now I think it might be to long. I got ideas for layout / content from some samples I found online, but wondering if I should cut some out. It is about 30 pages right now. Pages for us, him writing about me, me writing about him, our marriage, our home,  us parenting, our adoption philosophy, his family, my family, a few pages of pictures ? us having fun with friends and family and enjoying our hobbies. So I have gone from not having enough, to having to much and not know what to cut out.

My goal is to convey the life we live and the home / life the baby will have and I do not want to be constrained on number of pages to paint a clear picture, but at the same time do not want to overwhelm.

Have I included too much if I am over 30 pages?

Re: Is my profile book to long?

• IRRIRR member
    WOW, 30 does sound like a lot and since you may need to print a dozen or so that would be expensive as well.  Ours was 8 pages.  Are you being really wordy or just picture heavy?  Pictures are good, but no one is going to read too many words.  Perhaps you just need to paraphrase a bit.  GL.

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• Ours is 23 pgs cover to cover with most pages being pictures with captions.  The only "text heavy" pages are when I wrote about MH and MH wrote about me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We're hunkered down too. But not working on our profile book yet. Though I suppose now is as good a time as any.

M

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Same here...waiting our Sandy. We just finished our book and it is 11 pages back to back.  Our agency told us no more than 12 pages, front and back. We did themes for each page and smaller captions, to further explain. It is so hard to explain who you are and how great of a mom and dad you will be in 20-30 pages of pictures and captions.  Good Luck

We also used Mixbook, per recommendations on this page.  GL!  

• Thank you everyone! I forgot to mention - we are using mixbook as well.

So far Sandy ain't so bad... enjoying the day looking at pictures with my hubby and talking about our family to be. Its pretty nice actually :) (Of course, it hasn't even started raining yet so I may change my tune if the power goes out and the streets flood!)

• imageKdgTeacher:
    Ours is 23 pgs cover to cover with most pages being pictures with captions.  The only "text heavy" pages are when I wrote about MH and MH wrote about me.

Ditto this except ours is 26 pages. We have lots of pics...of everyone...family, friends,etc. Our CW actually had us combine some pages because we started with over 30 and some were very similar. It's hard-you feel like it's your 1 shot to make a good impression. We also used mixbook. I would be happy to share it with you if you are interested. Just pm me and I'll send you the link!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • With what you've listed, giving a page for each, it sounds like 15 pages would be a "better" length.

We were constrained by the fact that our agency required only a 2-page profile (and a video profile), and expanded it right after we were matched to 5 pages. So brevity was our friend.

• Hi!

I'd say WAY too long.  Ours was 6 pages!  But what I think really helped was writing a personal letter with a couple updated photos to the birthmom we eventually matched with.  So we had our generic book plus a one page very short letter with like 3 extra photos.  Think about it.  You choose a whole long book at the library just by reading the back cover right?  That's only 1 paragraph!  Your letter doesn't need to be long and extensive.  It just has to reflect YOU. 

Good luck!

• Down to 20 pages :) Thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"