March 2012 Moms
Options

Bath anxiety

Anyone else's LO have bath anxiety?

DD either cries the entire time or sits extremely rigid and whimpers. We have the Fisher Price whale tub. She was sitting so uncomfortably (I'm talking arms and legs outstretched) that we took out the infant insert a few days ago thinking that was the problem and that she didn't like the semi reclined position. Now it is just tears the whole time. We have tried putting water in the tub before she gets in and while she is in to see if that will help, but no. Our next step is maybe me getting in the big tub with her, but I'd really like to use that as a last resort.

We were in the pool this summer and she loved it so I don't think it is a fear of water. We keep the water pretty warm, too.  

Anything working for you ladies? 

Re: Bath anxiety

• Options
    our lil guy used the big tub right from the start, first with baby bath sponges to lay on and when he outgrew those we laid a big folded towel on the bottom.  sometimes we get in with him but mostly he has the tub to himself and loves it.   maybe she is getting cold and we found a warm wet clothe on the chest kept him warm since the water wasnt that deep. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    These are awesome ideas! Thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you bathe her at the same time of day? Maybe catch her at a different time?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageMrs MoJoRisin:

it is part of our bedtime routine every other day. I hesitate to change that with our sleep issues, but maybe a morning bath would be better for us.  

• Options
    Mine went through this for about a week...he went from loving his bath to screaming hysterically during it.  This is kind of odd but we started making the water cooler (not that it was hot to begin with).  He seems to prefer almost lukewarm water.  Maybe try that?  It could also just be a phase or like you said, fear of water since they are getting more aware.  Sometimes I still have to distract DS with a toy right when I first put him in but then he is fine. 
    DS1 born 3/27/12 DS2 due 1/8/14
  • Options
    My kid loves his bath but he loves it even more when I jump in with him in the big tub.  Does your daughter sit well on her own?

• Options

imageeyenigh:
    My kid loves his bath but he loves it even more when I jump in with him in the big tub.  Does your daughter sit well on her own?

She does ok. I wonder if she doesn't feel secure because the bottom of the tub is slick. We are going to try putting a towel under her like Wipz said. But, maybe she just needs one of us in with her a few times to see that it isn't awful.  

• Options
    we bought a little battery operated bubble blower that he loves to slap at  the bubbles ..and he has squirt duckies that we play with.  He just started having sit up baths with deeper water with one of us in with him and seem to love slapping the water everywhere..  he just fell asleep after his bath.. we had about 6-8 inches of water and he was leaning forwrd and dunking his face for the first time tonight... it was a bit of a shock but he kept doing it so it cant have been so bad lol. 

I just sit behind him and hook my arms around his stomach so if he leans too far forward he has my support and same with if he leans too far back or to the sides.. but he pretty much sits on his own and the towels definitely help. he loves water in general and being naked.. hell I can give him a towel bath on the floor and he loves it..
    I just put the lid from one of our big storage containers on our floor (wooden) cover it with a towel and grab a bowl of water and a clothe and he has a blast.. so you could try that to get her used to the towel and water sensations then move onto the 2-3 inches of water with a cloth over her to keep her warm in the bath and build up to deeper water..  they even have special chairs for the bath if you feel that would help her confidence.

Toys and goofing around safely def help...and when daddy takes a shower me an the lil man go sit on the toilet and talk to him so maybe that would also help if she sees one of you taking a bath and then  introduce her to it after 5- 10 minutes of hanging out ...even if you just sit her on the edge of the tub so she can splash her feet.  I have on several occasions stripped munchkin down and sat on the edge of the bath with him on my knee to hose him down after an upchuck session... there  are lots of ways to introduce her to the bath without her just being pput in it if she is stressing.

• Options
    imagelisadfox:

imageMrs MoJoRisin:

it is part of our bedtime routine every other day. I hesitate to change that with our sleep issues, but maybe a morning bath would be better for us.  

Maybe by bed time she is too tired to enjoy her bath. Worth a shot!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"