Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Toddler grinding teeth?

My 13 mo son just got in both his top teeth, he's had the bottom two for about 2 months. I've noticed in the last few days, maybe a week that he grinds his teeth together. He does it while he's playing, and he does it loud enough that I can hear it from across the room. It's driving me a little crazy, but I'm also concerned. Should I be worried, will he damage his teeth? Or could it be stress related, like in adults?

Anyone's LO also do this?

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Toddler grinding teeth?

• My DD does this too and I looked into it a bit. It can be a sign of a million different things from ear pain to a reaction to teething to something that just feels fun. I don't think it's a terrible idea to call the pedi and see what they say. It's unlikely to cause permanent damage or be a sign of anything serious though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS will do this occasionally and it's usually when he is teething.  It drives me crazy (only because I worry about him damaging his teeth too).  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • YES!  DS does this, but I mostly see him do it when he is bored sitting in his highchair (when hes done eating).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I made the mistake of telling my LO not to do it...now she thinks its funny and laughs after she does it
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Its totally normal.  Probably feels "different" to your LO and he likes the feeling or the sound.
    Can sometimes be a sign of boredom though so I always try to distract my DD when she does it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"