International Bumpies
Options

Is this where the Canadians are hanging out?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Is this where the Canadians are hanging out?

• Options
    I chose not to return to my place of employment when I went on mat leave, but when I started looking for a job, I was really sad.  Then when DS was about 11 -13months, I was so ready to go back to work.  But I couldn't find the right fit, so I started enjoying being off again.  When he turned 15 months, I dreaded going back.
  • Options
    I am also in search of the other Canadians... they all spoke up when the international board appeared, but it was suggested that we return to the Canada Board.  I've tried positing on the Canada Board this morning, but seem to be getting no responses.
    *** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm not Canadian or in Canada, but I do feel sometimes like I would enjoy starting work. we've already decided I won't start looking for work here in Germany until our next lo is about a year. I understand the desire to get out and do something just for you which will also advance your career.

I know a lot if moms here who have chosen to go back to work after the year, but I also know others who are planning to take the second year as well since their jobs are guaranteed and they just don't feel ready. I like the idea of working, but then I also feel happy when dd does something new that I am here for all those moments.

are you trying to decide whether or not to go back? If you are ready I say go for it. :
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

do canadians get 1 yr paid maternity leave? or do they just hold your job for 1 yr?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagejllmb79:

do canadians get 1 yr paid maternity leave? or do they just hold your job for 1 yr?

The government pays us for the entire year. The majority of the time off is covered under our unemployment insurance.  I believe.  This is my first, so I'm no expert.

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • Options
    imagehappy_un-bride:
    imagejllmb79:

The government pays us for the entire year. The majority of the time off is covered under our unemployment insurance.  I believe.  This is my first, so I'm no expert.

Yup - 1 year off, and we are covered for the entire year.  We are also guaranteed our job when we come back/come off leave.  However, we don't get paid at the full amount of our salary, rather it's 55% of what we were earning.  It's a huge hit, but at least it's something to help pay for diapers, groceries, etc.  We still also have to pay income tax on the amount that we receive as well.  There is also a parental leave of 35 weeks and other options if you adopt, etc.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I never planned on going back to work once I was a mom if it was at all possible.  So when I got pregnant right after we got married and I had just lost my job 2 weeks before we got married, I just never went back to anything.  Luckily we don't need a second paycheck though. 

I do however teach piano out of our house and I also sell partylite, but that's more for a night out for me rather then the money because it really doesn't make a whole lot!

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options
  • Options
    imagejp03:
    imagehappy_un-bride:
    imagejllmb79:

Yup - 1 year off, and we are covered for the entire year.  We are also guaranteed our job when we come back/come off leave.  However, we don't get paid at the full amount of our salary, rather it's 55% of what we were earning.  It's a huge hit, but at least it's something to help pay for diapers, groceries, etc.  We still also have to pay income tax on the amount that we receive as well.  There is also a parental leave of 35 weeks and other options if you adopt, etc.

Correction: it is 55% of the max insurable earnings. We're overseas now so not sure what the current max insurable earnings are but it used to be around $48,000.

If you make less than the max you get 55% of your earnings, if you make more than the max you just get 55% of the max rate. 

I'm in a UK territory now and will get 39 weeks at a set rate for self-employed persons. Which I am quite happy about. Big Smile Yeah Commonwealth!

• Options

imagemtb21:
    I always thought I would love being a SAHM, but after 8 months or so realized it's not really for me. I would not trade the year off for anything though, and I'm only going back 3 days a week so I will still have a lot of time with DS.

I'm feel the same way.  I'm definitely feeling the itch to head back to work soon ... I feel like my mind is starting to turn to mush.  I am enjoying my year off, but I don't think being a SAHM is ultimately for me. 

Feb'12 March Siggy Challenge - Lucky Charm
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #3 - 05.20.11, EDD - 01.31.12, Logan is here! 02.05.12
    BFP #2 - 03.16.11, M/C 03.24.11
    BFP #1 - 10.17.10, Blighted Ovum dx, M/C 01.09.11
  • Options
    I've been a SAHM for almost 5 years. I never really thought beforehand about what I wanted to do, but I ended up getting pregnant pretty soon out of University, so my career wasn't established. I got a reception job just to make my hours to qualify for mat leave, stopped when I was 8 months pregnant, and have never gone back. TBH, I don't love being at home, but it currently makes more sense rather than paying for daycare, especially with 3 kids. And now my career path has taken a turn and I need to go back to school to do what I want, so we're having the kids close together, I'm staying home, and will go back to school once they're in school. I totally appreciate being home with the LOs even if it's not my 'calling', and it has a lot of awesome benefits. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemtb21:
    imagehappy_unbride:
    I am also in search of the other Canadians... they all spoke up when the international board appeared, but it was suggested that we return to the Canada Board.nbsp; I've tried positing on the Canada Board this morning, but seem to be getting no responses.
    I saw that... I say we should stay here though!
    I vote stay. The Canada board eats posts and is glitchy. I've responded on there before, but stuff keeps dispearing.

As to mat leave, I returned each time. I like my job, I also like to be at home with my kids. In my fantasy job, I'd work 9 to 4 or Monday to Thursday.  

• Options
    imagebandwife:
    imagejp03:
    imagehappy_un-bride:
    imagejllmb79:

Correction: it is 55% of the max insurable earnings. We're overseas now so not sure what the current max insurable earnings are but it used to be around $48,000.

If you make less than the max you get 55% of your earnings, if you make more than the max you just get 55% of the max rate. 

I'm in a UK territory now and will get 39 weeks at a set rate for self-employed persons. Which I am quite happy about. Big Smile Yeah Commonwealth!

As far as I know in Quebec it's 65k max earnings thereabouts and 75 of your salary for 6 months, then goes to 55. We're also the only province with 5 wks paid paternity leave. It was awesome for DH.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have an (almost) 9 mo and I'm headed back to work next week.  I have mixed feelings about it.  I know being a SAHM is not for me and it will be nice to get back to the "real world".  But she's also become a lot more fun in the past few months.  And it's nice to take naps while she does during the day, too!
  • Options
    Mine is almost 5 months and I had planned to stay home, but it looks like I might have to get a job. DH and I were both teachers, and our board cut 150 positions last summer. So DH chose to go back to school to retrain. That means I'm going to have to get a job sometime after Christmas. I am a French Immersion teacher so there is a lot more demand for that speciality, but if I can't get a position doing that (covering a mat leave or something) then I'll just look for something that pays the bills. I almost don't want another teaching job, since the planning and marking takes up so much time out of school that could be better spent with my family. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    My son is just about 2. I stayed home with him until soon after he turned 1. I went back to work full time thinking I wanted to be a working mom but I soon realized that's not what I wanted at all. I realized how much I loved being a SAHM, so I quit my job. I've been home since and I love it!
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagejp03:
    imagehappy_un-bride:
    imagejllmb79:

It also depends on the benefit package offered by your employer. In my case EI pays 55 and my job will pay the difference so I receive 93 of my income.
  • Options

imagemtb21:
    Hi ladies! I'm from Canada and have been meaning to start posting here. I have a 10 month old DS and permanent baby fever. I'm pretty ready to go back to work though... am I alone there or did you feel ready near the end of your year?

I still don't want to go back to work and I've been at it for over a year! I am just waiting tables part time for spending money for me and DS. I work on DH's days off and he goes to a sitter on Tuesday to play with his friends. I think it benefits us all but I still don't want to leave the house today. 

• Options
    imagehappy_un-bride:
    imagejllmb79:

Uh, h.u.b., I suggest you do your research. I'm a teacher and my employer pays me for a very small part of he year, and then does EI top ups to a certain amount (about half of what I would make at work). I still have to take a huge income cut. Things are gonna be tight! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"