August 2011 Moms

Opinions on how to place 2 car seats in my car.

Currently DD's car seat is in the middle of our back seat. When the time comes to put the new baby's car seat in the car, what side makes sense logistically for each child? Does it even matter?

I am thinking that I will put DD on the passenger side with the intention that we will be turning her seat around within 6 months of LO's arrival. That way I can turn around and hand her things easily.

Does it make sense to place the infant seat in the car while holding DD's hand to put her into the other side. Or do I put the older child in while holding the infant carrier?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Opinions on how to place 2 car seats in my car.

• We have two cars - a Honda Element, and a Honda Civic.  Our Element doesn't have a middle seat, so I researched all I could, and found basically no real compelling reason one way or the other to "pick" a side, so we have always had C on the driver side.  There is a (very slight) lesser occurance of accidents on driver side since driver tends to protect their side.  So that was how I made that decision.  It has made loading/unloading him easier since that's (obviously) the side I'm getting in/out too.  In our Civic, his infant seat was in the middle but when we put in the convertible, since my H mainly drives that car, we had to put the (bigger) convertible on the passenger side so my H can fit/the seat can go back far enough.  So yeah...C's seat is on the driver side in one car, on the passenger side in the other.  We just popped the bases to the infant seat into the car last weekend (mostly to get them up out of the way/out of the garage), so I just left C where he is. 

I guess what I'm saying is - I don't think it matters much once you have one on each side.

And I'm sure we'll figure things out as we go, but I'm a big babywearer, so we dont' use the infant seat much...if I'm wearing #2, I'll put C in the car first.  If #2 is in the infant seat, I'll probably pop that into the base, then load C.  C has started making a run down the driveway when I am unloading the car though, now that he's walking, so I realize things are going to get more complicated and I'll have to figure things out kind of as I go.  Fun times! :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Here's what we did. 

DD2 behind passenger seat. DD1 behind driver seat.

Here's why:

- Rear facing car seat means pulling the seat in front of it further. DH and I agree that the passenger should be the one dealing with less leg room.

- Easier to get to DD2 fro the driver's seat if she is behind the passenger seat - and as the littlest one, she is the one who needs more tending to.

As for HOW to put both kids in the car... If I was by myself, I would put DD1 in first because I knew DD2 couldn't run off on me. I would just keep the bucket seat with DD2 in it on the ground while I strapped DD1 in. Now that they're older, I open the door for DD1, she climbs in, and while she's climbing in, I strap DD2 in.

Don't give this TOO MUCH thought though. You'll find your groove in no time :) 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:
    Here's what we did.nbsp;DD2 behind passenger seat. DD1 behind driver seat.Here's why: Rear facing car seat means pulling the seat in front of it further. DH and I agree that the passenger should be the one dealing with less leg room. Easier to get to DD2 fro the driver's seat if she is behind the passenger seat and as the littlest one, she is the one who needs more tending to.As for HOW to put both kids in the car... If I was by myself, I would put DD1 in first because I knew DD2 couldn't run off on me. I would just keep the bucket seat with DD2 in it on the ground while I strapped DD1 in. Now that they're older, I open the door for DD1, she climbs in, and while she's climbing in, I strap DD2 in.Don't give this TOO MUCH thought though. You'll find your groove in no time :nbsp;

We're exactly the same way for the same reasons. DS1 also now gets into the car while I load Ds2.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"