Breastfeeding

If you've weaned before come in please..

How long did you have hard and lumpy boobs for after weaning? I slowly weaned myself from the pump at work as recommended. I then nursed DD AM/PM/overnight only for a few weeks. I stopped overnight and AM nursing sessions next. I did the bedtime nursing only for about 2 weeks and last Friday was the last session. This is full day #4 and my boobs are still hard, lumpy, and sore in some spots. I was taking Sudafed twice a day but I stopped today because it made my head foggy. I'm doing Ibuprofen and cabbage (although I haven't done cabbage yet today). Some spots are so hard that milk comes out just by lightly pressing on the spot.

Just wondering how long this lasted for other mom's who have gone through this before.

TIA. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

BFP #1 6-8-11 EDD 2-19-12. DD born 2-3-12 via induction due to pre-e.
BFP #2 9-7-13 EDD 5-22-14. It's a GIRL! DD#2 is on her way.

Re: If you've weaned before come in please..

• When I weaned DS at 12 months,  I had hardish boobs for 1 week.  I also pumped once in that time - just enough to relieve pressure and to take the edge off.  It was painful but bearable.  I took a bunch of IBprofin to take the edge off.

As a side note I was able to squeeze out BM over a year after I weaned.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Missed m/c 10/25/10 @ 11.5 weeks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageNY-allie:

When I weaned DS at 12 months,  I had hardish boobs for 1 week.  I also pumped once in that time - just enough to relieve pressure and to take the edge off.  It was painful but bearable.  I took a bunch of IBprofin to take the edge off.

As a side note I was able to squeeze out BM over a year after I weaned.

thank you! Hopefully within a few days they will start to settle down. I see that you're from Upstate NY...so am I :) 

• Loading the player...
  • I'm from upstate NY too :)

It lasted about 2 weeks for me. I would massage out the lumps because I was afraid of mastitis.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJilybean17:

I'm from upstate NY too :)

It lasted about 2 weeks for me. I would massage out the lumps because I was afraid of mastitis.  

Oh how funny! I am close to the Albany area. I just tried to massage some of the lumps but it was so painful! I'm bearing as much as I can though. 

• imageBella61811:
    imageJilybean17:

I'm from upstate NY too :)

Oh how funny! I am close to the Albany area. I just tried to massage some of the lumps but it was so painful! I'm bearing as much as I can though. 

I am further north...near Canada!

Yes massaging the lumps is painful. It helped though! It will get better.  

• I haven't weaned yet but I've heard cold compresses help as well as short hot showers. 
  • I weaned both my LO's (first at 8 months, second at one year) very slowly.  At the end I literally nursed once every other day for a few days, then I waited 3 days and nursed once, then 4-5 days and nursed once and then after a full week I nursed once and that was it.  I never got "full" hard/lumpy breasts again.  I literally just tried to make it a little longer than the last time and would nurse once my breasts started to feel uncomfortable.  My first struggled with latching on (not interested) once I really started weaning so I ended up pumping instead by second was more than willing to nurse again, even if it had been a week since she last nursed. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"