Georgia Babies

Let's talk permanent birth control

Although dh and I are planning on not having anymore kids, we have done nothing to prevent pregnancy except for being careful.  This has always been our form of bc since I have had issues taking the pill or wearing the patch.  Dh has volunteered to get snipped which I am fine with, but a couple of my friends have gotten Essure and rave about it.  My doctor suggested that I get one of the 5 year or 10 year bc (like Mirena) if neither one of us wants to have surgery/Essure.  So, out of curiosity to those of you whose families are complete, what form of bc did you choose?  Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Let's talk permanent birth control

• i can't help with much.  I had a tubal after my last c/s.  and i'm having novasure done - hopefully - in december.  i'm not sure if it's a birth control really, but i  know my dr asked if i was done having kids for sure before she told me about it.
  • My husband had a vasectomy. The procedure literally took 20 minutes from start to finish and he was back on his feet in a day. He's had no complications and we got a complete clear from his doctor within two months after the surgery. He had it done in office and all we paid was the $15 co-pay. Seriously.

Doctor's instructions were 24-48 hours with feet up. No picking up kids within that window, and 7-10 days before he could get back to strenuous physical activity and "physical activity." The whole process was incredibly pain-free for me. Can't recommend it enough. Wink

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • We are in the same boat although I have been using the Ring and the mood swings are a real broom ride every month.  We are considering options but pulling the trigger has been the rub.
  • imageDaisygirl613:
    i can't help with much.  I had a tubal after my last c/s.  and i'm having novasure done - hopefully - in december.  i'm not sure if it's a birth control really, but i  know my dr asked if i was done having kids for sure before she told me about it.

Isn't a tubal enough? Do you need to go on birth control too? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have not gone the permanent route yet, but I do have the Paraguard IUD (10 year). I got it after Trevor was born and have had no issues. So that gives us until 2022 to decide who gets the snipped :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• I had my tubes tied during my c/s. if we wouldn't have done that then dh would have gotten snipped. Personally I'm not a huge fan of iuds or essure. I just never wanted something like that in my body 
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had my tubes tied almost a year post partum. DH doesn't have insurance or we might have considered him getting the snip. We wanted something permanent so I wouldn't have to worry about bc. I've heard horror stories from Essure and Dr. Google doesn't help there either. My doctor even said it's not one she personally recommends because they've had a few patients get pregnant afterwards.
    Derek 6.30.09 & Parker 4.1.11
    Family
  • We're also in the vasectomy camp.  We sent the toddler to MILs for a few days while DH recovered and it was a really smooth process.  I don't respond well to any type of hormonal birth control and the idea of a foreign object in my body really creeps me out so that ruled out essure and IUDs.  If I had needed a CS, we'd already agreed that I would've gotten my tubes tied at that time, but it wasn't in the cards so DH stepped up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have the mirena and it was a quick procedure.  It was relatively painless.  Somehow, the thought of something permanent freaks me out.  I haven't had much in terms of mood swings other than the fairly normal rage I get before my period.  The neat thing about mirena is that it eventually stops your period all together.
  • I wasn't quite ready to have my tubes tied during my C/S, so I just got another Mirena last week. We are 99 sure we are done, but it's hard to make that final decision for real. We are thinking that DH will get snipped some time after Colin's1st birthday. I feel like by then we will be really really sure. I personally loved having Mirena after Owen. It was an easy insertion both times hurt a little this time and the no period thing is great!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are still on the fence about another, but I have a Mirena and love it. Super easy insertion and no side effects here.

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• We aren't completely sure that we are done so I have the ParaGard and have been happy with it. Once we are 100% sure we are done with kids (either after 2 or 3, right now we have 2 kids), DH will go get a vasectomy.
  • I had the paraguard IUD after Emma and while it was an effective form of bc I did have a lot of issues with my cycle; very irregular periods, heavy bleeding, painful cramps, etc.  I don't think the IUD had anything to do with it, my periods are just bad. 

I got the Mirena after Tess and once I stopped the initial spotting I don't have a period anymore except for maybe 1 day every year.  Recently though I started looking into what I thought were totally unrelated symptoms and learned that it could be related to my Mirena. 

Mine is due to come out soon anyway so I'm looking into options.  Since I have history of bad cycles I'm hoping to find something to deal with that along with birth control.

• I had mirena for 4 years and loved it. It was an easy in, easy out and we got pregnant on my first full cycle after we did not expect that . After Lena we are done. B will get the snip.

For those of you that have husbands that did it. Do you have to wait a yr before it is 100 bc? Or before then? Did you use back up?
  • One of us will be getting "fixed" after the twins are born.  If I end up with a c/s, they'll tie my tubes while they're in there... otherwise DH is getting a vasectomy.  

I had the mirena for 2 years between Caroline and Smith, and I loved it.  When I had it removed, I had a crazy long (like 6 week) period... but other than that, it was fine, and I'd probably get one again if we weren't getting permanent bc. 

• imagerara855:
    I had mirena for 4 years and loved it. It was an easy in, easy out and we got pregnant on my first full cycle after we did not expect that . After Lena we are done. B will get the snip. For those of you that have husbands that did it. Do you have to wait a yr before it is 100 bc? Or before then? Did you use back up?

We used back-up until he got his "clear." We got the clear about two months after the procedure (which they said was typical). Your DH would go back about 6 weeks after the surgery for a sperm check and then every month after that. If he gets two clear samples in a row, you're good to go. 

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had my tubes tied after I had my last. Then had Novasure in October - so no more periods! LOVED it. Best decision ever if you are done having babies ;). Same hormones throughout your cycle but no period = awesome...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"