Special Needs
Options

I'm having issues....

I know I need to suck it up. I have to realize that things are not going to change over night. It is just so frustrating to feel like you are working so hard and nothing is changing. My child still has no words and I feel like her sensory issues are getting worse.

She is now banging her head on the ground and is back to always holding two things.

The therapist are giving me a million things to do with her and some of them conflict. I don't know if I am pushing her too hard or not enough. And when does she get to be a kid?

I know these are my issues....just wondering what you all do when it starts to get overwhelming and confusing.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: I'm having issues....

• Options

When it all starts to get overwhelming, I know I especially let that time be a "just be a kid" time for DS2. I don't worry about how he is sitting or how he will get to point B. Just be a kid and have fun.

I also do that at night though in general. He has therapy 3 days per week plus his DCP works with him so my thought is, when he gets home he gets to just be. Yes I still work with him on a few things but I only work on what I remember and I don't do the same thing every night.

As for how much I work on, I ask each therapist for 1 or 2 things (depending on which therapist it is) to work on each week. That would give me up to 8 different things but generally I don't have them each tell me 2 things. And then I choose which couple of things I want to work on that day or night and if I feel like he is in a mood to do more, then I do it (or if it seems to fall into what he is already doing).  I'd probably ask your therapists to not give you quite as much homework so you can concentrate on just a handful of things each week. When given too much to do, I feel like either the quality of the work won't be there or I just won't get to all of it.

The other thing I do is prioritize general goals I/we have. We are coming up to a season I really dislike right now (long sleeve weather!) so for the next few months I'll work more on him using his left hand to get his arm through a sleeve on a shirt or coat because that will become increasingly important as the weather gets colder. With that, I may lay off on something else that either 1. I don't feel is quite as important or 2. that I know, for example, his DCP is also working on.

• Options

Thank you for your reply. I did call her ST and told her that I felt overwhelmed. She was very helpful and told me that DD has improved a lot since we started. She said that might be hard for me to see since I live it every day. I did mention that OT has not given me a sensory diet and she suggested that I speak with her about that. DT is the one that told me to let her be a kid more so I am trying that in the evenings when I get home from work.

It is hard because I feel like becauseI am at work all day, I should go home and do a lot of structured time with her.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I know how you feel 100%--we've been there twice now with both my children and it doesn't seem any easier the second time around. Just know that once you find the right balance you will see improvement--it's just a ton of trial and error to get there unfortunately. Hang in there!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"