Cloth Diapering
Options

A few questions

So I'm new to cloth diapering, but I absolutely love it so far.  I have a small stash, only 6 diapers right now, because I was trying them out on my toddler before I decided to take the plunge.  We started out great, but at night we were running into leaking issues which I found were due to absorbency issues (he's leaking through two microfiber inserts, he's a very heavy wetter).  I bought some Thirsties Hemp inserts to use to double up and I also bought some cotton wipes.  My first question is whether I can wash the cotton and hemp together? I know I shouldn't wash the microfiber with the hemp and cotton, but I wasn't sure whether the cotton and hemp can be washed together since they are both natural fibers?

My second question has to do with homemade detergent.  I've seen a few recipes on here from some fellow bumpies but most say they are used with hard water.  Would those recipes work with a water softener too? I would love to make my own detergent but don't want to overload my diapers with detergent.  Thank you for your help! 

Dx PCOS July 2011 BFP 07/28/2012, Due 04/09/2013 Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker

Re: A few questions

• Options

You can prep natural fibers together and once they are preped you can wash natural and synthetic together. You just want to prep the natural fibers seperate because they have oils that can mess up your synthetic.

I don't know anything about making your own detergent but there have been many posts on it lately so maybe if you look back a bit you'll find an answer? If not I'm sure someone will respond.

• Options
    Thank you! I didn't realize separating the natural fibers was just for prepping.  If I need to strip them then I would follow that same guideline then?
    Dx PCOS July 2011 BFP 07/28/2012, Due 04/09/2013 Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageaeasterl0320:
    Thank you! I didn't realize separating the natural fibers was just for prepping.  If I need to strip them then I would follow that same guideline then?

Once you've prepped them, you can wash and strip natural and synthetic fibers together.  No need to separate.

• Options
    imageveruca5839:

No need to separate. 

Thanks! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"