Special Needs

XP: Am I crazy to reconsider DS's old preschool?

Am I crazy to reconsider DS's old preschool?  this is a XP from the preschool board, due to the SN board having more "activity"

DS was in a local preschool (18mo-PreK4)  from February thru May 2011.    There, we had a few incident reports of hitting, and  I had to be called into the office a few times for DSs behavior (uncontrollable meltdowns).  In the office, they would try to explain that DS is having some behavior issues which needed attention - and at that time, we didn't have any evaluations, and we pulled him from the school thinking that it just wasn't a proper fit.  We originally picked this school because its 10min from our house & work, they only go up to preK4...and its very clean.  The classroom sizes are pretty average (16kids to 2teachers).

We tried to place him in the fall in a PreK3 - 8th grade school after the first school not working

However 3 days into the 2nd school we were asked to leave due to behavior issues and a large class (35kids in 1 classroom).  This prompted me to SAH with him, evaulations to be made, and finally a therapy plan was made. 

Over the summer DS was evaulated for Speech and Occupational Therapy. It was found he had a minor speech delay and sensory issues relating to tactile, and we have been seeing therapists for 1mo(OT) & 6months(ST).  The OT also works with him on his behavior, and with maturity and practice many can see improvements in him.

We would like to put him in a preschool setting by the summer and enter into fall, and I was thinking about reconsidering his old preschool.  Do you think this is a good idea?  I felt we didn't see eye-to-eye with them in the past, and I feel it was due to not being armed with the information we had now.

WDYT?   I was thinking about enrolling him into the Summer program of the first preschool because it will give us an idea about where he is behavior-wise, if he is indeed ready for preschool or not.  If not, at least we won't commit him to the long term 10mo fall program ( if enrolled in the fall and we pull him from there, we are then still committed to the 10mo financially)

We intend to enroll him into  the local elementary once he hits kindergarten, so the preK3-8th grade may not be suitable for him. 

Re: XP: Am I crazy to reconsider DS's old preschool?

• You can try the old preschool but you need to let the old preschool or any school know the underlying issues with your DS. You need to tell them what you are doing to help your DS and his therapies and any evaluations.

My DS was having behavioral issues where it was to the point they almost kicked him out. I told the daycare I was going to get referrals for speech, occupational and behavioral therapies from the pedi. We started back in May and still continue with Occupational and behavioral therapies. DS goes to a special needs preschool from the school district for speech. We recently got the evaluation completed in September.

The daycare saw how much we worked and continue to work to help DS. They have been willing to work with DS.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"