August 2011 Moms
Options

It is appropriate or weird? Re: Being naked

I have this ongoing debate with my husband about being naked in front of our DD. I see it as being perfectly okay for us to be naked in front of our daughter (not together obviously). He thinks it is fine for me to be naked in front of her but he refuses to be naked, go potty, or even be in his underwear in front of her. I think this is weird, I mean how else is she going to learn about differences of girls and boys? He said he would probably feel differently about our son. Obviously, at some point in the years to come it will be inappropriate and creepy.

How do you feel about this? Are you and/or your DH ever naked in front of you LO?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: It is appropriate or weird? Re: Being naked

• Options

I still take the occasional bath with the girls, and DD1 is 3, so I definitely have no issue being naked in front of my kid. DH is the same. 

I can see your H's point of view, though. If it's something he's just not comfortable with, then I wouldn't press the issue. Think about it this way: if you were a single mom, your DD would still somehow learn about the male anatomy. I say save your energy for a more important battle.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:

I still take the occasional bath with the girls, and DD1 is 3, so I definitely have no issue being naked in front of my kid. DH is the same. 

I can see your H's point of view, though. If it's something he's just not comfortable with, then I wouldn't press the issue. Think about it this way: if you were a single mom, your DD would still somehow learn about the male anatomy. I say save your energy for a more important battle.

Good point. It isn't so much of an argument but I just found it odd that he was so uncomfortable about it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My H and my son shower together sometimes, and C LOVES it.  I am still nursing him and get dressed in front of him all the time.  I think they're way WAY too young for anyone to be that concerned about nakedness, boy or girl/mom or dad.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'd rather have a husband who was really interested in modesty then one you were worried about reigning in. i bet if you had a boy it would be different. we have a boy so the issue hasn't come up for us yet. 
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageKimbus22:

I think it's still totally normal at this age to be naked in front of the kids.

But I can see DH's point.  I'm naked in front of Joey and he's fascinated by boobs.  Like walks over and pokes them and watches them move and giggles like a lunatic. (Hmmm feeling deprived from lack of nursing much!?!) I can see how a man might feel odd in front of a female toddler, even if it's his own kid.  Unfortunately the world has taught us it's different for a man and his child, because there are way too many sickos out there.

Even with a boy, my DH covers up quickly but I suspect that is in more of an effort to protect his junk than anything else...

Logan does the same thing to my boobs!  I was going to write that. lol

I'm comfortable being naked infront of Logan, and DH is ok with it too, but DS def has a fascination with my boobs (and DH's wee wee) -- so it makes us think we will be giving him scaring images when he is older. So we are trying not to be as naked anymore. lol  I remember seeing my mom naked as a child and one time ( I think I was about 2 or 3) I walked in on my dad taking a shower and I STILL can't get that image out of my head.  I know it sounds immature, but I really didn't want to see my dad's weiner and I don't want that image in my memory.  But as for your DH, if he isn't comfortable I wouldn't push it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo15Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Dh showers with dd sometimes.  I agree that it's way early to be an issue.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

DS sees me naked all the time in the mornings.  DH used to joke and say things about him not seeing me naked to which I replied, "That's where he came from - he'll get over it."  I'm not sure at what point I'll start making a conscious effort to keep my robe on, but I'm not worried about it yet.

DH showers with DS sometimes, but I'm not sure if it would be the same or different if we had a daughter.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_20130228_133645
  • Options

We both dress and undress in front of Livy. (This may be flameful) We all 3 also shower together regularly. We all bathe at night and sometimes it's just easiest for us all 3 to shower together. When Liv asks (or points) to inquire about the ding, H will no longer be unclothed with her present.

We had a little boy (1yo) live with us for about a year.  I would undress with him around. One day he pointed to my nipple and asked "What's that?" and I knew it was time to quit stripping down with him in the room.

To each their own, but we both feel like we will recognize (as we did with the little boy) the time when it is no longer appropriate! 

Olivia June BFP 12/26/10 EDD 09/01/11 Birthday 08/02/11

BFP 12/25/12 EDD 09/06/13 M/C, 01/02/13

BFP 01/28/13 EDD 10/08/13 STICK BABY!

Pregnancy Ticker

"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer." Romans 12:12

• Options
    imageBnchaNums:
    Dh showers with dd sometimes. nbsp;I agree that it's way early to be an issue.
    Same. There's something in our brain that tells us when they are too old to see mom or dad naked. It comes naturally.
  • Options

M sees both of us naked on a pretty regular basis between getting dressed and getting in and out of the shower.  I don't have any problem with it.  DH doesn't mind, except for the one time she ran up giggling and tried to grab at his junk.  He just threw on some underwear and we didn't make a big deal out of it.  I think we have a little while yet before anyone starts feeling uncomfortable.

That said, if DH was uncomfortable in any way, I would make an effort to give him some privacy when he gets changed or showered.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"