April 2012 Moms
Options

Breast pump cleaning?

OK, tell me if I'm doing something wrong?

I have a Medela PISA.  I'm already on breast pump nozzles #3...got rid of the first two sets because they started to seem dirty. Now, the same thing is happening with this set--part of the teeny tiny crevices of these nozzles are starting to look dark (possibly moldy?).  

I used a toothpick to see if I could clean out the dark patches in the tiny holes, but there is nothing to remove-it's stained, basically, I think?

I rinse the nozzles with soap every time I use them and I sanitize them once a week...I pump 3 times a day, Monday through Friday.

Is this normal wear and tear?  I want to nurse/pump for the next 6 months and I just wonder how many more nozzles I am going to buy...I'm fine with it if this is normal, but if I'm doing something wrong, I'd like to know!

Thanks...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Breast pump cleaning?

• Options

What do you mean by 'nozzles'? Do you mean the horns that physically touch your body or the yellow parts? I use a bottle brush to clean them as well as the little fuzzy cleaners (kinda like a pipe cleaner) that come with dr browns bottles and clean the smaller parts with that. Sterilize once in a while. I've only ever seen mold 1x in almost 7mo. How do you allow the parts to dry? I usually leave mine out unless I'm at work and then they get stuck in the fridge until I use them next.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I EP and don't know what you are referring to. I use a PISA and symphony (same parts) and pump 5-6 times a day with them. I have to wash them after each pump because of recurring mastitis (couldn't just store in fridge).

Where is the mold you are seeing? I put mine (minus the yellow valves and membranes) in the dishwasher a lot of times. Have you tried the sanitizing bags?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't have the same pump as you, but I have found mold in some of my parts before. It's usually when I bag my parts before they're dry enough or if they sit in my bag over the weekend (especially when it was warmer). I also use the dr browns little brush thing (it's a pipe cleaner, save your money) to get to those nooks and crannies. I also boil the parts that are allowed to be boiled, and brush them while they're still hot to get more scum off. I also pump 3 times a day Monday through Friday and have 3 sets of parts. Two of my flanges have cracks in them (from dropping them), and sometimes mold will settle in there. I have to buy new dr browns inserts because even those are getting moldy!

I guess my only suggestions would be the pipe cleaner after boiling and make sure you don't pack them away until they are completely dry. Mostly, I wanted to ensure that you're not gross for getting mold on your parts, because I'm getting mold on my (pump) parts, too. 

ETA: Ensure was not the right word choice there. I'm sorry. Reassure. That's the one.

Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Thanks, allI think I'm not dryIng them well enough at work. I'll pay more attention to that with nozzles 4.
    The dark is at the end of the cone furthest from where it attaches to me, when the plastic curves down. It makes sense to me that the dirt gets stuck in the bend where it is hardest to clean.
    Thanks for not judging me!
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had mold on the yellow tips of the tubes that insert into the flanges for my PISA.  I did get new tubes for them but did some research on Kellymom and it was suggested that once you are done pumping take the tubes off the flanges but leave the pump running while you clean the flanges and take care of the milk (2-3 minutes).  This will help clear out any moisture that is in the tubes themselves.  I just got the new tubes last week but since doing this the tubes have been completely dry before I have to store the pump.  Before I did this there would be moisture still in the tubes and I'm sure that's where the mold was coming from.
    Married 6-7-08
    Everett 4-27-12
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Hmm I feel dumb but even after your description I am not sure what you mean. I also have a PISA. It sounds like you mean part of the yellow bit that attaches to the bottle? But then your mentioning cleaning them with toothpicks makes me think of the yellow bits on the tubes themselves.

I boil all my parts every night in a pot of water on the stove. I have replaced the white membranes and recently replaced the tubes as one of the tiny connector bits got in the garbage disposal (damn cat), and it was only $15 for two. Plus it seemed like they may have had some milk in them. 

I have started leaving the pump running for a couple minutes after I detach myself, it doesn't take extra time because I just leave it run while I get the bottles off and put the milk away.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Also a couple times I boiled the tubes as well and let them hang dry then put them on the pump for 10 minutes.

But when I went to buy the replacement tubes, the LC said you aren't supposed to boil the tubes.. though the Medela instructions say you can. So I'm not sure what to think.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

do you have the one piece falange-connector or 2 piece? Mine are 2 pieces since I need a bigger falange.I think they are easier to clean.

I also soak mine in hot soapy water when I get home from work then use the bottle brush or put them in the dishwasher.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"