October 2012 Moms
Options

"Put a paper bag on that baby's forehead..." and other tips.

This brown paper bag thing is supposed to get rid of baby hiccups. I have to confess... I don't have any brown paper bags and I have no clue where to get them unless I start taking paper at the grocery store. Plus, why - scientifically speaking - would that WORK?

I've also been told that it's ok to let the baby scream because it "builds his lungs." Er. Uh. What?! The person who told me this wanted to justify holding him even though he was screaming mad with hunger (Of course i grabbed my baby and went to my bedroom to BF.. ) but really?!

What other crazy "tips" are older folks giving you all right now? I'm curious.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: "Put a paper bag on that baby's forehead..." and other tips.

• Options
    DH's grandma (who is in her 70's) asked me if I was giving him water or rice cereal yet when he was 5 weeks old. Apparently that was commonplace back in the day. I told her that he can only have breastmilk or formula until he is 6 months old and she looked at me like I had two heads. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    @Nerdherder hahaha. I got the same thing re water. Everyone wants to give the baby a bottle, so they come up with reasons to do so. Seriously though, I wonder what changed in science now that we're not to do anything other than formula or breast milk. Will baby be hurt if he gets plain water?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Breast milk is like 85% water.. there is no need to give the baby extra water if you BF or FF. It wouldn't hurt the baby, but it just adds volume to their bellies and make them think they are not hungry while getting no nutrition. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageBronzeMama:
    Nerdherder hahaha. I got the same thing re water. Everyone wants to give the baby a bottle, so they come up with reasons to do so. Seriously though, I wonder what changed in science now that we're not to do anything other than formula or breast milk. Will baby be hurt if he gets plain water?

The pedi said giving the baby water can cause electrolyte imbalances in babies younger than 12 months. Only breast milk or formula.

Lilypie - (A6Jy)

• Options
    imageBronzeMama:

I've also been told that it's ok to let the baby scream because it "builds his lungs." Er. Uh. What?! The person who told me this wanted to justify holding him even though he was screaming mad with hunger (Of course i grabbed my baby and went to my bedroom to BF.. ) but really?!

What other crazy "tips" are older folks giving you all right now? I'm curious.

DH's crazy aunt, who has never had children, said this to me when DS1 is born. I was so biitchy to her. What a completely moronic thing to say.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Why are people so afraid of baby hiccups? They don't hurt them any more than they hurt us, so you just have to let them run their course. No tricks are gonna work, yet people insist upon it. :/
  • Options
    Yeah, DHs grandma has told us to let the baby cry. How sadly misinformed they were in the day. Though, this may explain why FIL is the way he is...
  • Options

imagerhodesign:
    Why are people so afraid of baby hiccups? They don't hurt them any more than they hurt us, so you just have to let them run their course. No tricks are gonna work, yet people insist upon it. :/

OMG, my MIL acts like DS is in severe pain when he gets the hiccups. She seriously gets distressed over it. I find it kind of amusing :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    DW's grandmother suggested we put chocolate syrup in pumped breast milk to encourage DS to eat.  No joke.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers -- Lilypie Second Birthday tickers -- Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"