School-Aged Children

Is this typical? ADHD concerns

DS1 is meeting with a behavioral pedi at the end of the month to discuss ADHD screening (referred to by his regular pedi). Since I have had almost zero feedback from his teacher about his behavior at school this year (we start in Sept.), I emailed her to ask if we could meet and told her about the possibility of ADHD screening.

She immediately asked if we wanted the school psychologist to observe DS, if we wanted to fill out the school's checklist or have her fill it out. I was taken a little aback because I was just expecting a meeting at first. Would you take her up on this? I kind of want to meet with the dr. first to see what he says but I know how long it can take the get the ball rolling on these things.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is this typical? ADHD concerns

• Thanks Auntie, this is very, very helpful. I guess part of me is still afraid of him being "labeled" at school, although I know labels are only supposed to help him get services. Since she hasn't contacted me even once about his behavior (and she had promised early in the year she would if there was a problem), I'm hoping he's been holding it together at school.

Last year we had near-daily notes from the kindy teacher about his behavior -- some bad, some good, but he was on a behavior plan, so there was constant feedback. Not knowing and not being a helicopter parent has been some work for me this year.

His behavior has been atrocious at home, though, so I really don't know what school has been like.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Auntie always has amazing advice :)

I kinda wanted to give my 2 cents if thats ok...my 7 yr old son was diagnosed in july. i too felt that he would be 'labelled' but you would be surprised how positive an outcome that can be. If it wasn't for my son's teacher being so concerned last year than I might not of pushed so hard. (I felt my son was going through a 'phase' of aggression and such because we have had a rough past couple years, and I just felt it was pass over).

Just always remember that you are your childs only advocate! People will talk and be judgey at times but they don't know what you go through and frankly its none of their business. I have finally come to terms with the fact that I HAVE to be patient with my son because he just can't help the way he is. Its not even that that's a bad thing, it just takes him longer to understand and follow direction and I have to be accepting of that :)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It can't hurt to have the school involved.  I would not do this as an either or though.  Get the school stuff going but still keep the process moving with the Beh Ped.  School will not prescribe meds or do behavioral modification therapy but they will get you an IEP or other paperwork that is needed to get your child any special modifications in the classroom that are needed. 

My DD was in the Early Childhood program and had already had an IEP for speech when she was diagnosed by the Beh Medical Team at our medical clinic (a special clinic for 18 and younger with beh and developmental needs).  The school has mainly been involved with the speech side but we were able to turn in the official paperwork to the school for her ADHD so it is on file should she have needs related that as she gets older.  

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • You almost need the school involved so that the teachers know to take a different approach to your child.

My DD has severe ADHD.  We had always known but didn't know where to start.  It wasn't until her teacher pulled us aside and told us that if we didn't get her some help, she'd never pass the 1st grade. 

We immediately took went to her pediatrician, and were given 2 questionairres.  One for us to fill out and the other for her teacher.  Being that our answers matched the teachers answers, she was then diagnosed and prescribed medication.  We never really went to a school psycologist but we do have to inform her teachers every year of our situation.  It doesn't make her any different than her friends at school and nobody other than her teachers and us know.  She takes one pill first thing in the morning.  Some days it works better than others... she still gets in trouble some times, but nothing compared to what she would be like without the medication.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask.  This has been a part of my life now for almost 8 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"