Postpartum Depression

Scared to take zoloft prescription

I was just prescribed zoloft for baby blues. I've heard it can make you crazy and sleepy. I'm wondering how you are supposed to care for a baby with the side effects of zoloft. I want to get better so bad but I'm just scared of being on a drug like this. I'm just 2 weeks pp. Should I give it a few more weeks to see if this baby blues goes away on its on? What are other people's experiences with this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Scared to take zoloft prescription

• I had no averse side effects. It did make me more thirsty and has made losing weight difficult but other than that, nothing. 

I would take it before bed to see if it makes you sleepy. It did the first few nights for me but never so much that I couldn't care for my baby.

I would not wait. If you were given an rx it is because you need it. Your PPD could get worse that harder to treat. Take the Zoloft and then if you find that you can't tolerate the side effects talk to your Dr. about another med.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was given zoloft just a few days ago and it's made my insomnia terrible.  i've gotten 4 hours of sleep since Sunday night.  :(
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemrsh0606:
    I was given zoloft just a few days ago and it's made my insomnia terrible.  i've gotten 4 hours of sleep since Sunday night.  :(

Oh no don't tell me this! I haven't filled my prescription yet, but I already barely sleep :( 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would say take the Zoloft and see how YOU do on it. If you are too tired, or don't sleep, call your DR and they can switch you to something else. You have to try it before you worry about how you MIGHT be, i know the constant worry and making things worse than they might be is part of PPD, but you have to try.
  • i started taking it 2 weeks ago. the benefits outweigh the side effects. See how you do on them, but do not take yourself off of them. Talk to your doctor if it doesn't work out for you before you stop taking the pills.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Zoloft, unless you have an adverse reaction, is not going to make you unable to care for your child. It is NOT a sedative, so it won't make you loopy. Some people get a little sleepy, but most actually seem to experience some insomnia (I did for a few weeks).

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I never had any problems with it (25mg).  I remember how I felt before I started taking it (after DS #2) and I never want to feel that anxious and nervous again.

I'm a much better mom and happier person with it than without it. Just try it for a few weeks and see what you think.  If you don't like it, quit.

• Whenever I read the side effects on medications I get panicky. Try not to read into it too much. Everyone reacts differently but like a PP mentioned the benefits usually out weigh the negatives. I am on 25mg of zoloft alont with Wellbutrin XL. Wellbutrin has a potential side effect of seizures! But I feel great and it's a slim chance. I have take up to 200mg of zoloft and never had any sleep issues that I can recall.

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • I totally understand.    Please do what is best for you and take the medication.     I also had concerns with taking medication but I HATED the feelings I had when I did not take it.    The feelings were horrible.

I took ambien for the first couple of weeks until the medication kicked in.     I am taking celexa, rather then the zoloft but it really helped with my sleeping.     I also have taken trazadone as well to help while the medication worked.  

I knew it was not forever but it really helped get through the tough patch.    I hope things get better for you, I know what you are feeling.    You are not alone and just know that you are doing the right thing by getting help!

I will keep you in my thoughts....

• My Dr recently explained medications to me. Just because someone has a bad reaction to a drug, does not mean everyone will. People do better on different medications. I have a friend that swears by Zoloft, but Zoloft didn't work for me. For me, it's Prozac that works WONDERS. For others, Prozac is a "devil drug." You just never know. Sometimes you have to try different meds before you fine the one that works for you. I took four different medications before trying Prozac. But, you never know until you start trying. If your condition is bad enough to warrant taking a medication, I promise, you'll feel better soon!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"