Working Moms
Options

Frankenstorm Mommas

Checking in to see how you are doing today.

I have heard some businesses are closed today and probably tomorrow too. I'm assuming most DC's and schools will be closed. Do you have to work? Is your employer understanding? Anybody have to find last minute back-up care?

I hoped you stocked on up the essentials-beer and TP Big Smile

Stay safe!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Frankenstorm Mommas

• Options

I live in NC and am currently away for work in Norfolk, VA.  It is coming by us today and the winds are very strong.  They expect flooding here. 

My family is all in CT and they evacuated my hometown which is right on the coast.  They expect a large storm surge (11 feet).  I seriously feel for the people who are about to be hit in MD and NJ. 

p.s. Yep, I stocked up on wine, PB & J, water and fresh fruit and power bars in my hotel room.  We better not lose power! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Boss texted me last night, said to stay home.. since it's an hour commute and I only work half a day. DH agreed I should stay home but really hate to lose the money. I personally think the worst of it will be after I'd get home. Called daycare this morning to let her know LO would not be there, it appears she is still open but I don't think they closed schools in our area until today? So maybe she will end up closing and I won't have to pay for today.

Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm in NJ and so far it's just raining here.  My school is closed today and tomorrow and DH is also home today.  DH got called yesterday (he's National Guard) but he was able to come home last night.  Hoping he doesn't get called in again.  I'm a little nervous waiting out the storm by myself with the baby and the dog.
  • Options

We are at home.  Everything is closed.  Thankfully our home is not in a flood prone zone but our basement does take on water sometimes due to poor grading near our back door.  We are hoping this is minimal this time around.

Technically, my place of work is closed but in reality, I am sure some of my coworkers are there.  I have received a couple of emails asking me about non-emergent things and find it kind of annoying.  They are mainly from younger grad students who have no perspective about what experiments should be prioritized and what can be cancelled or rescheduled.   I was in grad school in Houston during Tropical storm Allison and the damage to my research, school, and neighborhood was a real lesson in how to prioritize things during times like these.

And of course, I didn't remember to buy beer until yesterday - Sunday.  And in PA, that is nearly impossible.  Boo. 

• Options

My employer closed today, but because I WFH and was prepared to WFH today AND we have a big project coming to ahead THIS week...I'm working :(

Preschool was closed but my DC was open.  She lives on my street and as long as she has power, she's open.  DS is the only kid there today, though.

But it gives me a chance to rock some stuff out because I'm worried about tomorrow and Wednseady.  I HOPE work is closed tomorrow too.  But regardless - I expect we'll lose power and if we do, no DC.  My parents may be able to help, but DH is totally out of pocket so I might have to take some time off the next couple days.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Our daycare, offices and schools are closed.  I'm attempting to work from home with 3 kids and a husband at home.  Wish me luck.  I have 4 conference calls and my house is a zoo.  I'm just praying we don't lose power.
  • Options
    I'm in Rhode Island and it's not bad where I am (the coastline is a different story)  I'm at work but I know a few of the cities have cancelled school at least for today.  DH's office is closed so he's home with DD.  I wanna go hoooooome.  There is absolutely nothing to do here.
  • Options

I'm in Maryland and work in DC.  Our office is closed today and so is daycare (which almost never happens).  Our LA office is open today so I'll probably end up doing some work today, but probably less than 2 hours.  We'll see what tomorrow holds.  If the winds are still high and public transit can't run, I'm sure we'll be closed tomorrow.  DH is an Army civilian and his base was closed today. 

We still have power and cable - so we're good.  I just made a pumpkin pie and DH watched movies this morning.

• Options

School closings (for at least Monday and Tuesday) were announced yesterday afternoon.  We had a conference call last night to see if there was anything that HAD to be done in the next two days and my boss decided to close for today and tomorrow.  Everyone has remote access to emails though, so we should be checking frequently and responding to anything we can (I get them on my phone so no big deal for me).

As for the storm we haven't seen anything yet, not even a drop of rain.  We have a gas stove, so we can still cook if the power goes out, my main concern is heat (we don't have a fire place).

Stay safe everyone, and I hope that anyone who had to go to work today gets to go home early!

ETA: DH works nights and he works for a hospital so he HAS to go in no matter what. If it starts to get bad, he will probably just go early, but he might get stuck there (which is great for OT if the other people can't get in, but sucky because I don't want to weather the storm myself).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    My office is open, but we are strongly urged to work from home. Between DC being closed and a leak in DS's room I haven't done anything today.

image image
  • Options

our daycare is closed, my office and my husband's office is closed but we're both expected to work from home.

which means we're basically playing hot potato with the baby, trying to work and take care of her at the same time.  blergh.

• Options
    I'm in NJ less than an hour from the shore. My work is the only non essential place open probably in the entire state and we do not have an option to work from home. The CEO sent out an email saying that this is what personal time is for if we want to leave we can use it. I love my job but I hate this company.
  • Options
    Grrr. DC is closed and this is such a non-storm here. It's even a home DC, but I'm guessing she's required to close. The Gov declared a state of emergency last night, which forces schools & gov offices to close. I had to call out, which really sucks. Everyone else is there today.
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

DH and I were both told to work from home.  Our nanny was nervous about driving over, so she's home today.  We asked our weekend babysitter who lives across the street to come over for a few hours to get us through some scheduling conflicts, but we'll just juggle for the rest of the afternoon.

We're far enough away from the coast that we'll probably be fine.  In any event, the generator is fueled up and ready to go!

• Options
    We were told to work from home today and tomorrow, which is fine as long as we continue to have power.  Of course, DH and I are taking turns watching DS since the nanny is home with her family as well.  I figure anyone with kids is winging it today since everything is closed.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageIdigDirt:
    I'm in NJ less than an hour from the shore. My work is the only non essential place open probably in the entire state and we do not have an option to work from home. The CEO sent out an email saying that this is what personal time is for if we want to leave we can use it. I love my job but I hate this company.

Wow.  That CEO sounds like an ass.  Can you imagine the fallout if the local news picked up on that? 

• Options
    imageLibraryChica:
    imageshannm:

imageIdigDirt:

Wow.  That CEO sounds like an ass.  Can you imagine the fallout if the local news picked up on that? 

A jerk, definitely. This is a common attitude, though. I worked at a company that had to be closed down by the city police before Hurricane Charley!

I know. I'm shocked by your CEO's message.  Just wow.  Sorry! 

• Options
    DS's daycare closed today and so did my company.  DH's company had everyone WFH because his office is right in downtown Boston and they want everyone away from the coastal towns.  We'll have to see what tomorrow brings.  We're ok with power but my OB's office (5 minutes away) lost power hours ago and already cancelled my first u/s for tomorrow to see our new squishy.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    We're in MD, where all the schools are closed. Fortunately I work at school, so it's an extended weekend with DS!

Anniversary

• Options
    Ya they are horrible. I have been working 7 days a week for the past few months for a project I am doing but that won't be happening anymore. I am not doing one thing above and beyond for this company anymore.
  • Options
    In MA. We heard that DH's work was closed on Sunday, so we knew that he could stay home with LO if need be. Then by 8pm, I got the word that both my work and daycare would be closed, so we all enjoyed the day off. I really liked having an extra day w/o pumping and just getting to nurse LO.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"