April 2011 Moms
Options

still throwing food and not using plates?

is your lo still not using plates/utensils and still throwing food at every meal?

i am getting so frustrated with this.  i will try to serve his food to him on a plate and every time he dumps the food out on his tray and throws the plate.  then eventually he is still throwing the food all over the floor.

i have tried the warn once and then dismiss from the table approach without finishing his meal and i have also tried the ignore completely approach with no success.  it's still happening :(  i keep trying to tell him we don't throw food on the floor as i'm getting him down from the table and trying to teach him to say all done, but it hasn't registered yet.

if your lo is not doing this anymore, how long did this phase last for you?  any other suggestions?  ugh.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
| Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
| Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
| Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |

Re: still throwing food and not using plates?

• Options
    DS uses a bowl and spoon, but he's still working on it and it usually devolves into him unsticking the suction cup, dumping the bowl on the tray, and playing with the spoon while he eats with his hand.  He throws his milk like no tomorrow, and that drives me crazy.  I know some people have had luck with training their LOs to place unwanted food/dishes in a special place, but that hasn't worked with DS.  I've given up for now and waiting until he understands more to try again.  People just keep telling me it's a phase and he'll grow out of it.

BFP #1 8/14/10, DS born 4/30/11 
    BFP #2 9/30/12, M/C 10/23/12 
    BFP #3 12/16/12, CP 12/20/12 
    BFP #4 1/20/13, DD born 10/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageAnjaO:
    've given up for now and waiting until he understands more to try again.  People just keep telling me it's a phase and he'll grow out of it.

Same here!  Everyone tells me that too :(  Let's hope it phases out soon!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know a lot of people love this age, but I have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of a lot of it.

BFP #1 8/14/10, DS born 4/30/11 
    BFP #2 9/30/12, M/C 10/23/12 
    BFP #3 12/16/12, CP 12/20/12 
    BFP #4 1/20/13, DD born 10/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We're half and half here. When I do give her a plate, she dumps the food onto the tray anyway and eats off of that. If I give her something in a bowl, she'll usually eat about half of it before it gets dumped onto the tray. She'll occassionally throw food but it's usually at the end of the meal when she's had enough. And once food is on the floor, mealtime is over for her.  I also make her help me pick it all up.

• Options

imagekpips20:
    We're half and half here. When I do give her a plate, she dumps the food onto the tray anyway and eats off of that. If I give her something in a bowl, she'll usually eat about half of it before it gets dumped onto the tray. She'll occassionally throw food but it's usually at the end of the meal when she's had enough. And once food is on the floor, mealtime is over for her.  I also make her help me pick it all up.

This sounds like us too.  Although, I'm not lucky enough for this little guy to help me pick it up.  I try and tell him every time to help clean up, but he just tries to eat it off the floor instead.  Maybe I should give him credit for that? ;0) 

• Options
    I cannot stand this!!! Several times, I've just broken down and cried...could be the pregnancy and hormones, but I HATE this and want it to be over!
  • Options
    I cannot stand this!!! Several times, I've just broken down and cried...could be the
  • Options

We have this battle all the time. It drives me INSANE! I have a friend who just lets them and then gets the dog to clean up, my cat is not that hungry, lol. I don't know how to fix this. 

The other one she's been doing lately is protesting diaper changes, going in the stroller/cart and the carseat. Where did my happy go lucky baby go, I'd like her back now thank you! 

• Options

imageemkatrine:
    Have you tried only giving him a little of his food at a time? For me, the food throwing is one of the most frustrating things. At least that way, there wouldn't be as much on the floor to clean up.

We do the rationing of the food bit and it seems to have helped a little, but he still continues to do it.  This phase is so annoying.  I feel like he wastes everything I make for him.  Ugh!

• Options
    imageMauiBride2008:

imageemkatrine:
    Have you tried only giving him a little of his food at a time? For me, the food throwing is one of the most frustrating things. At least that way, there wouldn't be as much on the floor to clean up.

We do the rationing of the food bit and it seems to have helped a little, but he still continues to do it.  This phase is so annoying.  I feel like he wastes everything I make for him.  Ugh!

We do the ration thing but it still happens. Ugh!

We are in the same boat and I can honestly say it is BY FAR the most frustrating thing about parenting for me so far. Even more than I was waking up five times a night with her. I find it so hard to keep my cool on this one issue. I hope this passes quickly. I absolutely dread meal time.

TTC #2
    BFP 3/28/16 (EDD 12/9/16) * Chemical pregnancy
    ME: 40 yrs.old
    DH: 41 yrs.old
    DD: 5 yrs.

• Options

DD2 is getting better. I take away her food for a couple minutes if she starts to try to flip the plate. She uses a fork a lot or a spoon here and there with yogurt or something. Tonight she got a timeout at dinner for dumping a bowl of spaghetti on the floor. Timeout at dinner for us is turning her high chair around and ignoring her completely for a couple minutes. She didn't' like it and doesn't get it yet, but hopefully she will.

I'm hoping she catches on eventually. My walls are disgusting in our eating nook. I'm tired of wiping them down. I'm going to have to repaint soon.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Options

Yeah, food-thrower here, too. It's mostly at the end of the meal when he's done and food rationing does help some. We've also tried teaching him to put his leftover food in the corner of his tray but that hasn't been too successful. We'll keep trying.

Plates? What are plates? We just use the tray. If it's a liquidy food, we sit there with the bowl and feed him or let him feed himself....but leaving a dish on his tray is just asking for disaster right now.

We figure he'll get better about all of the above when he gets a little older. For now, we just make it clear that we don't approve of food-throwing, but we don't make a huge deal out of it. He seems to get over bad habits faster when we don't freak out too much.

Gotta say, overall we really are enjoying this age. He just keeps getting better. 

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"