Breastfeeding
Options

HELP

I have a big big problem. I was diagnosed with CDiff today and my doctor prescribed me metronidazole. I told his nurse I didn't want that drug because I couldn't breastfeed on it. I suggested vancomycin and she told me just to take the other and stop BFing. I didn't argue because I do have like 500 oz saved up but I'll be on this drug for like 10 days and the nurse couldn't tell me how long it would take to be out of my system. It may not even get rid of the CDiff! The nurse I talked to was a jerk and didn't understand why I wanted to keep BFing. My insurance covers vancomycin but the pharmacist and the doc said vancomycin wasn't safe either. Isn't it rated L1 for safety? What source does that come from? I'm so stressed over this, someone please help. Should I get a new doc? I think any doc where I live wouldn't care about BFing.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: HELP

• Options
    No advice, but hugs!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Go to infantrisk.com and look up the drug info. Then, in the morning, call their number and talk to someone. The center is lead by Dr. Hale. He's the one who wrote the book that gives drugs L1, L2, etc ratings.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would push for the safe drug for sure! Don't let anyone minimize the importance of breast feeding. It would not be an option for me if I had a choice to take a BF safe drug!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageshotzie:
    Go to infantrisk.com and look up the drug info. Then, in the morning, call their number and talk to someone. The center is lead by Dr. Hale. He's the one who wrote the book that gives drugs L1, L2, etc ratings.

It's L1 but how do I convince my doctor to write me out the script for it? I will call them in the morning.
  • Options

C Dif is nothing to mess around with!  You definitely need to be on something.  Vancomycin is the preferred drug for that anyway, except it is so expensive.. many docs will try metro first because it's so much cheaper.  That's not an issue for you since your insurance covers it.  I don't have too much advice on getting your Rx changed, other than showing the pharmacist your information and maybe having he or she call and reason with the nurse/doctor.  I am a pharmacist and if someone brought me information I would at least look it over and try to help them out!  Just please be nice about it.  You catch more flies with honey! 

Make sure that both of them are looking at info for ORAL vanc not IV.  Vanc is not even absorbed when taken orally- almost none of it is even going to get in your bloodstream.  It will do its job in your digestive tract which is where your problem is!  So since it is not absorbed into your system it should be really safe for BFing right?  The L1 rating makes complete sense to me. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Um YOU are the patient and you should make all final decisions. You are paying them, and it's your body, not the other way around.
    Lactmed is a government site that has good info that includes research studies and other things you can use in your case for the different drug:
    https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgibin/sis/htmlgen?LACT
  • Options
    imagecaitie2002:
    C Dif is nothing to mess around with!nbsp; You definitely need to be on something.nbsp; Vancomycin is the preferred drug for that anyway, except it is so expensive.. many docs will try metro first because it's so much cheaper.nbsp; That's not an issue for you since your insurance covers it.nbsp; I don't have too much advice on getting your Rx changed, other than showing the pharmacist your information and maybe having he or she call and reason with the nurse/doctor.nbsp; I am a pharmacist and if someone brought me information I would at least look it over and try to help them out!nbsp; Just please be nice about it.nbsp; You catch more flies with honey!nbsp;
    Make sure that both of them are looking at info for ORAL vanc not IV.nbsp; Vanc is not even absorbed when taken orally almost none of it is even going to get in your bloodstream.nbsp; It will do its job in your digestive tract which is where your problem is!nbsp; So since it is not absorbed into your system it should be really safe for BFing right?nbsp; The L1 rating makes complete sense to me.nbsp;

I'm going to call in the morning. I'm absolutely sick about this. I won't have to worry about sounding mean because I'll probably be crying! Just knowing that there's a safe drug, but they won't prescribe it for me... I just don't understand. I'm so committed to giving her my milk, I can't even imagine stopping or pumping and dumping... ugh.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"