Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Introducing possibly allergenic foods

I know that there's controversy over whether or not you should wait to introduce eggs to babies until after they're a year old and if that helps with allergies or not. My concern is that my dad is allergic to eggs (they give him migraines), so waiting seemed to make sense. However, DS has been breastfed from day one, and hasn't had any problems after I eat eggs (and I eat them fairly regularly.) Is this an indication that he won't have problems with them? I don't want to introduce them too soon, but apparently at least one study is saying that babies who aren't exposed to eggs until after 12 months are five times more likely to develop an allergy to them. What would you do?

ETA - Link to article about the study:  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-10-04/exposure-may-prevent-egg-allergy-study/2284010

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Introducing possibly allergenic foods

• Options

You should be fine introducing them. I work for an allergy & asthma practice and according to our newest (and youngest) doctor (most recent schooling) the "rules" for introducing allergenic foods are outdated. The only one you should still pay attention to is no honey before age 1. That study you posted is what the MD told me, waiting longer to introduce foods may increase the risk of allergy. We just tried scrambled eggs this past weekend with DD but she hated them. I'm going to make her hard boiled eggs this weekend and chop them up.

Good luck! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

BFP #1 6-8-11 EDD 2-19-12. DD born 2-3-12 via induction due to pre-e.
    BFP #2 9-7-13 EDD 5-22-14. It's a GIRL! DD#2 is on her way.
  • Options
    Well my LO broke out in a rash after being introduced to bite of eggs. I'm going to wait.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Is there a way to test by maybe touching a little egg to skin to check for a reaction?

My sister was avoiding egg because of the allergy rules, but was making cupcakes one day and accidentally touched my nephews back.  He broke out in that spot, so she had him tested and he had an egg allergy.  Even though it was accidental, it was much better to find out that way than by ingesting it. No body in the family has allergies, so it wasn't expected.  Maybe you could discuss it w/ your Pedi as an option...

Part of me wants to try the allergenic foods in the parking lot of the hospital, just in case, but I know that's just the crazy talking...Stick out tongue

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"