Preemies

To Continue to BF or to Not

Physically - I know that BFing has a TON of benefits and because of those benefits - I continue to BF. 

My LO was 6 weeks early and we have not been successful with latching, etc so I have been pumping and he is now 7 weeks old.

Emotionally - I am ready to stop. Since he is not BF directly - I feel that every time I pump that is precious time I could have been holding or playing with my son ... or even spending time with my husband or sleeping. 

So I don't know what to do - since he is a preemie - I feel like I am giving myself even more pressure to continue even though I'm not that happy doing it and I think I would be happier if I stopped. 

So to continue to BF (aka Pump) or to Not - that is the question.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: To Continue to BF or to Not

• Honestly no one can answer this for you. As someone who pumped, BFed, and then pumped again during the 1st year I know its exhausting in every possible way. 

So...if you want to hear encouragement on continuing to EP: it really is giving a great gift to your son and is great for his health. If breastmilk is important to you, its worth the time.

BUT if the pumping is making you unhappy, adding more stress to you life and you are ready to quit then that's totally ok too. Preemies thrive on formula every single day and your son will do so as well.

OR if you aren't ready to give it up completely, you can try pumping twice day and then supplementing with formula. Then you get a break and you can give some breastmilk. 

Basically, there is no wrong answer here. Choose the option that makes you and your family as happy and stress-free as possible. Your son will be happiest with a sane, healthy mommy regardless of what is in his bottle. And no one here will judge you either way. 

• I exclusively pumped for 10 whole months and I really feel that it is the best thing for your baby. Yes, it takes work and dedication, but it is well worth it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My 32 weeker is now 3.5!
  • Loading the player...
  • I EPed for my full term daughter for about 7 months.  I just finished my first month EPing for my late term preemie twins.  We'll see how long I last.

I actually enjoy pumping.  I saw it as my only down time during the first few months.  When DH was home or my parents were over I could hand the boys to them and say "I've gotta go pump".  Then I'd get to sit in bed and play on the computer (like I"m doing now while pumping) or watch TV or just relax.

There are sucky things that's for sure.  Not being able to go out for more than a few hours without having to rush home or (fun!) pump in the car.  My nipples always hurt.  I hate having to time my outings and my pumps and the babies feedings.

The one thing I will say is though "breast is best" I don't think it's the difference between feeding your child milk and mountain dew.   Formula is a great option.  And not one you should beat yourself up over.  If you do decide to formula feed my friend has a great website (https://www.fearlessformulafeeder.com)  that will hopefully alleviate any guilt.  

And if you do decide to keep pumping or splitting the difference by pumping and supplementing those are awesome choices as well.  

You can't go wrong.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"