xp: Leap pad owners-- some questions — The Bump
Pre-School

xp: Leap pad owners-- some questions

Hey ladies--

I'm thinking to allow my MIL get the leap pad for Christmas--a very generous gift from her.

Anyways--I'm so overwhelmed!!! So what is the difference between just downloading apps online and buying cartridges? Do the cartridges just snap in to the leap pad or what do I do with them??

Is it a touch screen or do you have to use the stylus? My son seems to be left handed--- will it work appropriately for him?

He loves an app on my iphone that is basically him drawing with his finger--- is there anything like that for leap pad that you may know of?

I was debating getting him the kindle instead but thinking maybe this should be a "first step" for him--and maybe I'll get something like an ipad later when we can afford it a little easier.

Thanks guys! I'm not a techy AT ALL so this is scary to me.

Oh--and that RECHARGER pack--do I need that??

Re: xp: Leap pad owners-- some questions

• We bought 3 of these for Christmas for our boys.  My mom bought a bunch of games for them.  We opted for the rechargers, I HATE using disposable batteries if I don't have to.  I know it would take a long time to buy enough batteries to make up for the cost of the rechargable set, but now I won't have to worry about it.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL
    !
    babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Batteries die fast, so definitely get a recharger or even just a cord to plug it in when using it at home. 

You can use the stylus or finger.  DD is left handed and never seems to have any problems. 

Games are just small cartridges that pop in easily.  We've only downloaded a few apps, we mostly just have games.  I would say almost certainly there is something where you can just draw with your finger, we do not have that, but like I said we've been really bad about downloading apps. 

• Loading the player...
  • We have the original leap pad for DS1 and got the leap pad 2 for DS2.  It was great because all of the games that we had downloaded for DS1 were able to be loaded on to DS2's leap pad as well.  It's great because the two of them can play the same game, side-by-side at the same time without having to fight over a cartridge.  We haven't bought any cartridges but have only purchased downloaded games.

We just bought rechargable batteries for their leappads for $20-ish and they work great.

Good luck!

• We got 3 for Xmas last year (but we also have 3 ipads as a family and 2 DSMs).  2 out of 3 of my kids are left handed and have had no issues.   We got $80 worth of downloads (gifts) and at least 6-7 games.  Some of the games haven't been open.  They prefer the downloads.  I think there is an art app.  I agree with the pps that they eat batteries.  We only have one cord but they are not played all that often...(with so many options plus a desktop~ my DD, as all elem kids, loves poptropica- played on desktop).  

One thing I didn't like is that once I bought an app, I could only put it one 2 leap pads (when we have 3).  THey are all registered under one email too.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageshopgirl78:

We got 3 for Xmas last year (but we also have 3 ipads as a family and 2 DSMs).  2 out of 3 of my kids are left handed and have had no issues.   We got $80 worth of downloads (gifts) and at least 6-7 games.  Some of the games haven't been open.  They prefer the downloads.  I think there is an art app.  I agree with the pps that they eat batteries.  We only have one cord but they are not played all that often...(with so many options plus a desktop~ my DD, as all elem kids, loves poptropica- played on desktop).  

One thing I didn't like is that once I bought an app, I could only put it one 2 leap pads (when we have 3).  THey are all registered under one email too.   

just fyi, now you can share apps between three leappads. i HATED that as well, but now for some reason i only have to buy apps one time. whew!

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • I don't have a recharger for ours (bought last year). It goes through batteries pretty quickly but it is used A LOT.  I would buy the carrying case for it as it allows you to store 6 cartridges. The cartridges you just push in and pull out of the Leap Pad - super easy to change them out.  And yes, there is an art one so that he can draw and you can use your finger or stylus for most anything. I'm assuming you could use it left handed but my kids are right handed so I'm not sure!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards