Blended Families

Vent- Will it ever end? (Our bad luck continues)

DH's company abruptly ended his contract yesterday. They cited no other reason than he doesn't "fit in" and he even recieved performance accolades shortly before they called him to essentially let him go. DH was reaming yesterday because he and another guy had both started a 6 month contract at the same time and DH's job was the contract to perm position and the other guy was hired as contract only position and the other guy is the new BFF to the manager.

So we were in the middle of house hunting since his credit issue was resolved from the back child support that BM released him from last Dec when he lost the job at the school district. Now we are going to have to use our house savings to keep CS current until he gets a job again.

DH already called the last company he left in July to take this contract to perm position to see if they needed anyone (they previously said they would hire him back and he gave appropriate notice). However, I'm not holding out hope on that because it paid half of what he typically makes and that is why he left there in July and they know this so are probably afraid he will leave again with a better offer.

DH really is a hard worker and he works in IT so it's not like he's not in a high demand field. He doesn't call in, is on time. But this is seriously the 3rd time he's lost a job around the holidays where we have had to worry about Christmas for the kids.

Meanwhile, I've been at my company for 12 years so it's hard for me to understand what he is feeling but he is really upset over this. I've never been let go or laid off from a job. This is only my 4th job ever and DH has had 5 since I've we've been together. He is actually considering leaving the IT field.

And I just keep seeing my house dreams slipping away. I really need to figure out what to do about the bedroom situation for DS now that I know we will probably be in our rental house for longer.

Not to mention there is the daycare situation for DS. Do I keep in him daycare for a few more weeks in hopes DH gets a job or do I pull him now so we aren't wasting money? At least in the past, SIL was watching him and DH could keep him when he was off work and she didn't charge us.

Sorry for being a whiner, but it's just frustrating.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

Re: Vent- Will it ever end? (Our bad luck continues)

• Whine away, you deserve it!  That sucks about YH's job, I wish that politics didn't play such a big role in deciding promotions, etc.

No advice on the daycare situation, there are so many unknowns that could make either decision the right one.

I hope YH finds a job quickly and you can get your home dreams back on track.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am SO sorry this has happened.

T&P for your family. I hope DH picks up something quick.

Right Hug

• Loading the player...
  • This seriously sucks, T&P's your way. If I were you I would pull DS out of daycare to save money. He may enjoy the quality time with your DH, and you could ask SIL to watch DS when DH is searching for a job/having an interview. If DH finds something quickly, you could always see if the daycare would re-enroll DS. Do they have a long waiting list for his age group or something?
  • I'm sorry you're going through more crap. I'd leave ds in another week or two just in case your dh gets some quick leads. I'm not sure if you use a center or inhome but I'd talk to them about what's going on. Maybe they'd let you do part time or give a discount.

I saw sometime silmilar on working moms so when I had some health issues and was on short term disability I went to the dc director and leveled with her. She let me do part time for a bit.
    Good luck to y'all!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This sucks. Can I make you feel better?...or at least join your pity party - table of two? We just got a notice from our landlord that after 2.5 years we have to move out. They sold their house and are moving into the one where we live. We are in a desired neighborhood charter school, which is capped at the moment, so there are only a handful of streets where we can look for a rental. And yes - we have to move right before Christmas - when chances are slim anybody's moving, so how are we gonna get another house? There is only one available at the moment - for $4,900/month.

So, I'm right there with you. And no - can't afford to buy a house either. There are 2-bedroom houses available in our neighborhood for just under $700K, so that's not gonna happen. 

• :/ Sorry, that sucks. I hope he finds something soon!
  • I'm sorry. That is really bad luck. The only good news is that it happened before you were in escrow or closing. That would be a complete nightmare. I hope things change soon. My t and p are with you guys
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So sorry gin, that really sucks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • hugs. that sounds miserable

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Ugh, I'm sorry you're going through this.

I would see about going down to part time at daycare or see if they will allow you to pay a lesser fee to hold a spot.  (We pay $150/week for daycare, but are able to "hold a spot" for $50/week for up to 6 weeks in situations like these).  Hopefully the day care will be understanding.

ETA: Also Idk how close to being 3 he is, but is starting preschool an option?  Maybe a local church has a preschool program?  Those are generally more reasonable than daycare?

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Thanks ladies, it's just hard. DS goes to a non-profit daycare/preschool center that has accredited pre-K teachers -actual employees from the local school district (well local to my job) that come in half day to teach pre-K to the 3s and 4s. Of course DS doesn't turn 3 until May, but that is part of the reason I have him in there and it's 2 blocks from my work which is 30 mins away from the house because I don't get off work early enough to pick him by closing time if he goes to a center by my house. They actually pick up the children from the homeless shelter every morning and provide free services to them so their parents can obtain jobs and drop them back off there in the afternoon. They have a very good academic program because of this and the "paying" spots are hard to get because they only fill them if they don't have enough low/no income kids. So most of the kids that go there do no pay. It's like less than 15% of the kid's parents pay full fee and that's because their parents work downtown, like I do. They also have a sliding fee scale based on income/family size so DH called them about it Friday, so we are going to see if I qualify but I'm not sure. I make a good amount of money and we don't usually get to count our other 3 kids because they don't live with us full time and some places also don't take into account the CS we pay. So we are just going to see if I can get a reduced rate because it would be better for DH not to have DS there so he can more easily go to interviews, ect. We will see. The director wasn't there late Friday when I picked up DS so I haven't gotten to look at the form yet.

I don't want to pull DS unless I absolutely have to and hoping DH gets a job so I'm giving it another week or two I think if I don't get a reduced fee. Our rate had just gone up on the 1st by $60/month though...

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"