Multiples
Options

Delivery from Hell - but my boys are safe!

Thanks for all the support I got after my water broke a week ago - it was so helpful when I was really frightened. 

Here's the update. It isn't pretty though. I might skip this if I were still waiting for babies to arrive.

Last Friday, after the magnesuim sulfate stalled my labor, my doctors decided to wait till 34 weeks, 1 day to give the babies a little more time to grow. I was put on hospital bedrest and had numerous IV antibiotics and rigorous monitoring to be sure there was no infection starting from the ruptured waters. Everything went well.

Because I was already sitting at 6 centimeters dilated, and both babies were vertex/vertex, we decided to go ahead with a vaginal birth. I had a great team of doctors that I felt really comfortable with and was pretty eager to avoid a section. I got an epidural and progressed nicely as the day went on. I actually never had anything in the epidural and never really felt much beyond a little discomfort. At 7:30, we moved to the O.R where I pushed Baby A out with no real troubles or fuss - no tearing at all!

Then it went to Hell.

Baby B was being monitored with ultrasound and almost immediately after Baby A was out he went transverse and breech. My medical team worked so hard to get him out safely. However, as I had that team of doctors reaching inside of me, pushing from the outside and trying everything they could to get a grip on Baby B, I knew we were in trouble. Baby B had curled into a ball and refused to move and they couldn't grip him. I could see everyone beginning to panic and now I was wishing I would have turned up that epidural. Then I suffered a placental abruption and started hemorrhaging heavily. Baby B's heart suddenly stopped. The lead MFM screamed that it was a c-section - NOW. The anesthesiologist yelled that I had no epidural base and the MFM replied that if we didn't get the baby out now, and stop the bleeding immediately, it would be too late, maybe for both of us. I was given a general, but ladies, I really, really feel that I wasn't fully out as they started to cut. My last conscious memory is hearing the OB yelling at NICU telling them to expect a baby that had been down for three or four minutes and would need a full resuscitation. I've never been so scared. My poor, pale husband was led away and was told that they weren't sure everyone was going to come out of this safely.

When I woke up, the doctors told me that I had lost a significant amount of blood and did indeed have the double whammy, but that my baby had been safely resuscitated. I cried. I was so sure I had lost him. Things didn't exactly go better from there, though.  I'm literally bruised from the inside out from the attempted breech extraction. I'm so sore in my incision (a resident told us it was the fastest section she's every seen - it took under a minute to get him out, but in order to do that they really had to press on me). Then, the morning after the birth, I started to have double vision and was diagnosed with HELPP syndrome, so I had to go back to L and D for more mag. I wept over that one, since I still hadn't seen my babies and policy states that I could not go into the NICU until I was off that medicine.

I want to state that my medical team was great and they tried so hard for me. I have had every doctor, resident, nurse, etc, stop by to check on me and they have all gone to see babies, as I think they also need to reassure themselves that we are all okay. Almost every person has told me that it was one of the scariest deliveries they have been involved in. I know they are all so relieved that we are okay. It was all just a bunch of random bunches of bad luck. Still, it was intensely traumatic and I think I am going to have a rough time getting over things.

Today I'm feeling better and finally got to meet my little boys and things look brighter. My babes were 5 pounds, eleven ounces and eighteen inches long. We have named them Calder and Jonas. They are gorgeous. I am so glad we are all okay.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Delivery from Hell - but my boys are safe!

• Options
    Sorry for any typos or grammar issues. This was pretty emotional for me.

• Options

I'm so glad your boys are in your arms! That makes me cry just to read it - I'm sorry you went through that! 

Be patient with yourself as you process and get over your experience. If you have support from your DH and family, I'd encourage them to read about PPD and PTSD so they can help you recognize any symptoms you might have over the next year. Sometimes it's hard to see them in yourself, especially when you are exhausted with two newborns.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Omg. Glad you are ok and so are babes!!!

imageimage 

6/20/11 mc @ 5wks
    10/19/11 mc @ 17wks- Trisomy 18
    IUI #1 4/26/12 BFN
    Moving on to IVF in July
    37 with DOR...fabulous
    ER 7/14/12 6R 5F, ET 7/17 3 embies, beta #1 7/26: 147, beta #2 7/28: 326, beta#3 7/30: 422...ugh, beta#4 7/31: 607...hopeful, beta #5 8/2: 1280, beta #6 8/7: 7184 and u/s shows 1 possibly 2 sacs! 8/14 2 beautiful heartbeats! 9/24 we are TEAM BLUE!!!!!

• Options
    Congratulations on your boys.  What a story, I'm glad to hear that all 3 of you made it out ok.  I hope their NICU stay is short and that you are feeling better soon.
    D & R were born at 37w5d.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Good Lord...I am so sorry to hear that you went through all of that but am relieved to hear that you and the babies are ok. What a scary, scary scenario. And THAT just reassured me that an elective c-section is the way to go for me. The stories I've heard about Baby B going breech after A is delivered scares the hell out of me b/c I don't want this exact scenario to happen (B is still breech anyway). Thank you for sharing your story.
  • Options
    I'm so so sorry that this happened and I'm so glad you are all ok
    My Blog: Say Lucky Pregnancy Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm so sorry it was rough and scary. I hope your recovery goes as smoothly as possible.

Congrats on your guys's arrival. I hope they have a short stay and you can all be together soon. 

• Options
    That is so scary!  I'm glad you and your babies are ok.
  • Options
    Your story brought tears to my eyes. So glad everyone is ok! Hope everyone continues to heal!
    TTC for 3 years. Finally successful after 5 IUIs and 2 cycles of IVF. Our amazing twins were born 5 weeks early on 8/16/11. Found out April 2012 that our di/di twins are ID.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I also had a placental abruption with my daughter and all three of us nearly didn't make it. I feel your pain and I am so thankful that your story has the same happy ending that mine had. For what it's worth, I really struggled emotionally, and still do, with the birth and trauma surrounding it. I am so thankful that we're all okay but also truly emotionally scarred from it all. I have been seeing a therapist periodically to talk about it and really process my feelings. I believe that the PPD I developed is a direct result of the birth (not to mention my husband's grandfather dying when the babies were 3 days old but that's another story). I'm here if you ever want to talk about what you're feeling. Honestly, please don't hesitate to contact me (my name is Rachel). Be kind to yourself. If you're struggling please talk to someone. It took me sobbing for days on end before I finally realized that I didn't have to feel so badly and now, 2 months later, I am so much happier. I am so very glad that both you and your babies are okay.
  • Options

Congrats on your little ones! I'm so glad you are all doing well.  My delivery was challenging, but nothing like yours.  I had flashbacks to some of the harder parts of the delivery for months.  It was traumatizing and I felt like I had mild PTSD.  If you're having a hard time recovering emotionally, don't hesitate to call your OB and tell her/him.  It really is scary and some of the thoughts/fears stay with you for a while. 

Wishing you all the best. 

• Options
    I am so glad you are all ok!  Congrats on your beautiful babies.
    imageimage
    TTC #1 since May 2010. BFP #1 - 5/31/10; m/c on 7/22/10
    Started seeing RE in August 2011
    5 IUIs: BFN; IVF #1 - Success! BFP - 7/25/12 Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Goodness, I don't know where to start.. I am so sorry that you went through all of that, but I am so grateful with you that your babies are ok!

I had a less than stellar experience, but nothing at all like yours.

Afterwards, I was so out of it but hosp staff I'd befriended kept coming to my room, some not knowing I'd just delivered. my husband ended up taking his chair into the hallway and blocked my room door while he was sitting in it and fielded the well meaning people so I could get some rest. Finally someone put a NO VISITORS sign on my door.

I feel like too many ladies try to make others feel guilty, or even like someone is less of a mom , like there's such a thing, (not on here, but that's why I never go to the other boards) for whatever method was used or chosen to deliver their LO's. I say that's a bunch a ba-hooie.

Please try not beat yourself up in any way about how things went.  We are so grateful that you and those babies are still with us. I pray that you are able to get some much needed rest if possible.

PS..I love their names!!!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Options
    Oh honey, I'm so sorry! That must have been so terrifying for all of you. So glad to hear your babies are safe (and crazy that they had the same stats!). Ditto missfire I hope you'll have plenty of support as you process this and adjust to having your babies at home.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    get well mama!  Glad the boys are ok. *gentle hugs*
  • Options
    Wow.  I am so glad you and your babies are doing good now.  I can't even imagine what you went through.  I'm sending you and your babies positive thoughts! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker DD#1 3/04 *TTC #2 since 6/2010 EDD 1/30/13 changed to 2/4/13 we are having boy/girl twins!
  • Options
    I am so sorry you had to go through all of that.  I also had a delivery go horribly, horribly wrong.  Both of my babies and I survived but I did lose my ability to have any more babies so I just wanted to say that I am so glad you had a happy (although terrifying) ending to your ordeal.  Kiss on those babies as much as you can, and take all the time you need to process.  I agree with pp in staying on top of your emotions and if you feel like you are having flashbacks or any other symptoms of ptsd, take care of it.  So glad to hear all is well and congrats on your beautiful babies! :)
  • Options
    Wow. You brought tears to my eyes. All the best for a quick recovery & healthly babies.
  • Options
    Thank you so much ladies. I have tried sharing this experience with my friends outside the multiples world and no one seems to quite "get it" the way you do - the way you can worry for one baby and feel intense gratitude for the other; the enormity of delivering two; the complex choices you have to make as a MoM. It is so helpful to read that others have done this and can genuinely sympathize.

• Options
    Oh my! That is so scary!! I'm glad the 3 of you are okay. You may want to talk to someone as PPD and PTSD are totally understandable after a traumatic delivery. Take lots of pictures of the babies =)
  • Options

I also had a very scary experience. Baby A was delivered vaginally and B was an emergency section. As soon as A came out, B was in distress with heart rate in the 50's. I was so scared. He spent a few days in the NICU, but all is well now. 

After I was discharged with the babes, I developed a significant infection. I was rehospitalized for 10days without my little ones. 

My whole experience was such a nightmare. I agree with pp. watch out for ppd and PTSD. I know I have been having a difficult time which I attribute to my horrific delivery and recovery.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you had such a scary delivery but I'm so glad that you all are ok now. Congratulations on your two boys and I hope your recovery becomes easier soon. Hugs
                                                 Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • Options

imagefestivus:
    Your story brought tears to my eyes. So glad everyone is ok! Hope everyone continues to heal!

All of this! Congrats on your beautiful boys. 

J - 9/6/09 L and A - 1/17/12
  • Options

So sorry that it all went so poorly as far as the delivery. No one wants to do the double whammy, that's for sure! But of course, the ends justify the means in this case, and I'm glad your boys are safe and doing well, and I'm also glad that you're still healthy and here for your DH and your boys.

Selfishly, I have to ask. I'm vertex/vertex too and have been forever. Right now the plan is to go vaginally, but the doctor says I have the right to request c-section if I want. Knowing what you know now (but also knowing that it often goes smoother than that) would you go back and just do a c-section from the beginning?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lost our first little peanut on 1/17/2012 at 9 weeks and 5 days. We miss you little blessing, but we know you were too perfect for this world.
    My multiples/parenting/pregnancy/miscarriage blog
  • Options
    Oh my goodness... thoughts and prayers for everyone's continued recovery.  I'm so glad to hear your babies (and you) are safe.
    Photo by Melissa Glynn
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    O my goodness what a traumatic experience...made me cry too! I'm so sorry you had to go through that but soo glad that you and the sweet babies are ok! Praying for your continued recovery and healing from the memories!
  • Options
    I almost cried reading your birth story! I cant even imagined how scarey that mustve been .... to get all the way to delivery and almost lose one of your babies not to mention what happened to you with the double whammy and hemorrhaging etc .... im so glad that everything worked out and everyone is healthy!
  • Options
    I'm sorry you had such a traumatic delivery.  Thank goodness you are all okay.  Big HUGS!  Take care of yourself!  Big congrats too!
  • Options

WOW that is quite the story.  I am so relieved that you are all okay and doing well. CONGRATULATIONS on their arrival and good luck with your future ahead.  

Happy Healing ;)  Hopefully you will feel better soon.

Toodaloos Robin
  • Options
    Oh my gosh!  That sounds awful but I'm so glad you and your babies are safe.  Take care of yourself and congrats!
    Diagnosis: DOR and MFI-low everything IVF #1 = triplets! 2 girls and a boy! Born Sept 29, 2011 at 32w6d due to Pre-e and HELLP syndrome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That is so scary and I am glad to see a happy ending.  Congrats on your babies and hope your recovery is quick and your boys have a short stay in the NICU.
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

imageimage
    PAIF and SAIF welcome. IVF questions welcome, too.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    How scary. I am so glad you are all okay. I hope you continue to recover emotionally and physically.
    my blog

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"