Toddlers: 24 Months+

RP from potty training: 1000 trips to the bathroom and won't let it out

My DS is 2 1/2 and we've been in underwear for two weeks. He tells me he has to go, we run to the bathroom, then he won't sit. He tells me "I done, I already potty" but he's dry. After an hour or so of this, he gets so miserable, starts crying, I get frustrated because he won't just sit. Then he finds a quite spot and goes in his pants. We've got the insert seat, the training seat, we've gone outside to try to "water the tree", etc and nothing has worked. We've done stickers, running water, leaving him naked, cheerios, books, letting him go sit without me or DH, and still the same pattern happens. I am at a loss for what to try next.  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: RP from potty training: 1000 trips to the bathroom and won't let it out

• He's not ready.  Not for the full deal.  I'd wait a few weeks/months, and try again later.  (I'm not saying he's not physically ready - he's indicating when he needs to go and is able to "hold it" clearly.  But he's not mentally ready.)
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd try a break from it, for all of you. 2 1/2 is still pretty young esp for boys so I wouldn't stress. (this isfrom someone with a 3 yr 3 month old boy who just went on the potty for the first time this week. Previous attempts resulted in a lot of crying/whining about how he couldn't do it and not wanting to sit also, as well as wearing underwear & being able to hold it for hours but eventually having accidents b/c he couldn't seem to relax the muscles to 'let it go' on the potty. PTing was not a fight I wanted to fight and have either of us stress over & I have chosen to let him take more of the lead, and this week he has finally started to tell us he has to go & has had several successes. Once he does that a number of times at different times of day, I'm going to go back to underwear but I want to make sure he can actually 'go' voluntarily before going there again).

GL

• Loading the player...
  • Pack up the underwear get out the diapers and wait a few more months.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We waited until DD was 37 months before we started potty training.  We had some accidents, but overall the process went smoothly.   Why are you pressuring a kid who is not ready to potty train?  It's not like he will going to kindergarten, or college, in diapers.  Give it time.
  • imagefredalina:
    If you want alternative advice, get a potty chair and put it in front of the Tv or coffee table to work puzzles, etc. His only hang up IMO is getting comfortable enough to relax his sphincter enough to let the urine out. He has the rest of the process down. So give him a little time at the potty where he can have relaxed time. Once he starts succeeding he'll get a lot better at it.

Or let him pee standing up.  There are little urinal things you can buy to hook on the toilet. 

I wouldn't go back to diapers but celebrate him telling you, spontaneous dry checks.  Keep doing what you're doing and keep it positive.  When he has accidents, try to stay neutral (as frustrating as it is) but take him into the bathroom and take a long time to change him, clean him, etc.  Use this frequent changing time to improve self help, to help him lear to find the front of the underwear to get dressed (I, regrettably, taught him to look for the "penis hole.").

It doesn't have to be perfect.  It's a skill and like any skill they all do it differently.  I think he IS ready, but this is a necessary step in his potty journey.  My DD#1 did it like most kids.  DD#2 asked for underwear but eliminated exclusively in her underwear for 3 weeks, then suddenly was trained with a daily accident for a month and then was done.  DS I hadn't planned on training til his sister was done but he woke up one day, stripped and peed on the potty and that was it.  Was day and night "trained" with maybe 5 or 6 accidents total in his life- most at night.  Every kid steps toward the goal.  I personally would not backtrack but be ecstatic for this phase of success.

ETA:  I would encourage him to consider going into the bathroom to pee in his pants.  Shape hiding to pee into peeing, appropriately, in the bathroom- even if it is in his pants.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We went to underwear because he told me he wanted to wear big boy undies and no diaper. The daycare teacher suggested bringing him in underwear and just using diapers/pull ups for naps so we started.  He had made it to the potty successfully the first weekend, then part way through his first week PT at school, he started not wanting to sit and let it out. I am perfectly happy doing a ton of laundry and we do praise him a lot for the effort. We've asked him if he wants to wear diapers again and he tells us no so here we are.  Thank you for the thoughts and advice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Will he stand to pee? DS has only ever sat at grammy's. At home from the very first he stood. He refuses to sit because daddy stands and he's a boy DS will also not pee outside. We learned that the hard way when we were on our way home from somewhere and he suddenly had to pee and refused when we just pulled over. He was in tears the entire 10  minutes it took us to get to the nearest public restroom because he had to go but didn't want to go outside.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"