Special Needs

WWYD in this situation re: family member

I'm having a problem with one of DH's aunts. DH knows about the situation and is totally supportive of me not calling her back. She calls us all. the. time. about stuff like used toys and clothes on Craigslist, ideas of where Ryan should go to preschool, an article she read about some random food causing cancer, etc. It was almost every day, now it's only around once every other week. I don't always answer.

When I was pregnant with Lauren she cornered me on Thanksgiving and told us that she thought we shouldn't 'make' Lauren have open heart surgery. She said she knew a faith healer who used to be a nurse who did open heart surgery (some nurse, eh?) and this person said "open heart isn't the way to go". She also offered to have this woman "fix the Down's in Lauren's face". Yeah, this was about 3 weeks after we got Lauren's diagnosis and found out that she'd need open heart surgery.

I try to avoid talking to this woman if at all possible. That's okay, right? I mean, she isn't even my aunt! I usually defer to DH and he's totally okay with that. If she calls me I usually make DH call her back. I'm just not at all comfortable confronting her about any of this, it really wouldn't go over well and I am about as non-confrontational as they come.

The reason I'm feeling a smidge guilty is because we happened to run into her today while out to breakfast. She called me twice yesterday within 10 minutes and I didn't answer. She was irritated because MIL didn't call her back either. (MIL also gets super irritated with her too often phone calls).

Am I awful for going out of my way to not speak with her? I'm certainly pleasant when we're at family functions!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WWYD in this situation re: family member

• She knows someone who can fix the downs in your daughter's face ?Hmm Is she f******* serious?  That is pretty offensive.  First off, your daughter is friggan beautiful, it is not her face that needs fixing, in fact it is her heart, and as her mom you're choosing to put your trust in medicine.  She needs to back off and not say things to you like that.  Since she can't be supportive, I say avoid her. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Yeah, part of me feels like I should just get over it but I can't! I can't get past what she said about my daughter. Much less at a time when I felt extremely fragile, you know? It was just super awkward running into her today.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • You don't need someone like that in your life.  You really need to just make room for people who are going to support and lift you up.  I'm still kinda floored that she said that to you.  You must be a kinder person than I am, because I would have told her what I thought about that comment.  She probably wouldn't be calling me once I gave her a piece of my mind.
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • I think that people like your husband's aunt tend to prey on the most considerate and thoughtful people that they know and impose themselves on them. She is a menace and you should deal with her accordingly.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"