Preemies

Feeding my refluxing child

My DS is an eating machine lately!  He's 2 mos adjusted/5 mos actual.  Let me preface this by saying that I am thrilled that he's eating more, and we're no longer having to force him to stay awake for feeds like we were the first few weeks that we were home.  If you would've told me several months ago that 1 lb 3 oz micropreemie would one day be eating more than 20 oz a day or more, I would have found it hard to believe...as the docs were talking g-tube for him just two months ago.

So I'm willing to sit on the couch all day and feed him if that's what he wants. The problem is all the puking.  He throws up constantly.  He's on Zantac for reflux, but as you probably know, that doesn't stop the spitting up, just helps alleviate the pain.  He throws up his whole bottle between 1 and 4 times a day.  Of course, once he's emptied his stomach, he's starving again.  The past couple of days he's wanted to eat every hour practically, but can't seem to keep down what he's already got in his stomach from his previous feed.  I feel conflicted - do I keep following his cues and feeding him, or try to make him wait a couple of hours between feeds so he won't spit up so much? (hopefully)

I've tried making him wait, but I usually feel too guilty and end up giving in and feeding him...but then he oftentimes pukes.   It's a vicious cycle!  Pedi isn't concerned because he's gaining weight and doesn't seem to be in too much discomfort. 

TIA!

Re: Feeding my refluxing child

• DS had reflux from about 5 to 8 months (3-6 adjusted)...we just stopped meds earlier this month and he's been doing great...I think he's finally outgrown it thankfully! 

For the most part, DS was always gaining as well, but if he spit up a lot and then seemed hungry shortly after, I would usually offer him some more, but just a little more.  So maybe offer him just an ounce or two and see if they will tide him over to his next regular feeding? 

IMG_0293

Mr. & Mrs. 10/2/10 | Dx w/PCOS March 2011
    BFP - 7/25/11 | EDD 4/3/12 | C-section 2/7/12 @ 32 weeks 
    BFP - 1/07/14 | EDD 9/20/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Boston - I will definitely ask my pedi.  It gets annoying that they tell me that as long as he's gaining weight, it's okay, he will outgrow it.  I wonder how much weight he would gain if he WASN'T throwing up so much, you know?  :-/  Also, the pedi is talking about adding rice cereal and solids in the next couple of months - she's hoping this will help the problem.

CT - Glad to hear I'm not alone with this one!  I'm so glad your son is doing better.  I will definitely try feeding him smaller amounts to try to keep his satisfied without putting him over the top.  Thanks for your response.

• Loading the player...
  • My DS was the spit up/vomit king. He was never classified a "happy spitter" even though he gained weight and wouldn't cry. He puked tons. He was on both Zantac and prevacid until 15.5 mo. For DS it wouldn't matter how much he ate, how often, or how many times he burped. Thankfully, he are over that period. I hope you both get some relief soon!
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • I'm assuming that you are holding him upright for at least 3045 minutes after you feed him, right? Adalyn had some issues with reflux, but we stopped the zantac earlier this week and we haven't had any problems.

Are you breastfeeding or using formula? If formula, have you asked about trying a different one?

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with so much spitup. It's exhausting enough having a newborn!

BTW: Something to make you smile. We were all at my parents house for dinner and I was talking about how Adalyn spit up. My younger sister who is pushing 30, so not a kid asked, "Oh my gosh! What do you do when she pukes? Do you take her to the toilet?" Everyone just looked at her and we all started laughing. She had no idea how quickly babies spitup. :
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"