Food Allergy
Options

Heading to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's

Any products you can recommend? I'm avoiding Top 8 right now. The stores are 40 minutes from me and want to load up while I can!
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Heading to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's

• Options

all of the enjoy life products are top 8 free. you can have them delivered to your home. i loved the soft chocolate chip cookies, the plentils, & the choc chips

www.enjoylife.com 

• Options
    I swear, we live parallel lives. Those stores are both an hour from me, too, and I go to stock up sometimes. I haven't been there since avoiding allergens, but I hope you can spend some time and find things that work for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Does your regular grocery store not have fruits, vegetables and meats (excluding fish and shellfish)?  I don't understand why the need to drive 40 minutes out of your way for foods that are just substitutes of things that you shouldn't be eating/feeding your kids.  

Good luck either way. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageJaysonandKristin:

Does your regular grocery store not have fruits, vegetables and meats (excluding fish and shellfish)?  I don't understand why the need to drive 40 minutes out of your way for foods that are just substitutes of things that you shouldn't be eating/feeding your kids.  

Good luck either way. 

i have never seen the dairy/soy free "butter spread" in a regular store. some regular stores really don't carry non-processed staple foods(that are dairy/soy free) like bread, especially depending where you live. 
  • Options
    imagebrowneyedgoil:
    imageJaysonandKristin:

Good luck either way. 

i have never seen the dairy/soy free "butter spread" in a regular store. some regular stores really don't carry non-processed staple foods(that are dairy/soy free) like bread, especially depending where you live. 

Bread is a processed food.  Earth Balance Buttery Spread is a processed food.  Where in my response did you see that I referenced either of them?  Fruits, vegetables and most meats are all top-8-friendly.  And, you can make an endless number of amazingly satisfying meals with them.  

I'm not sure what the point of your post was...   

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Trader Joe's has a good price on corn and brown rice pasta. Whole foods sells the Earth balance margarine in a soy free version red tub. Also the Trader Joe's chocolate chips are basically MSPI friendly. They do have soy lecithin but that doesn't bother my little one. Whole foods has Daiya rice cheese shreds and coconut milk yogurt. You don't need to go to a fancy store for this but rice Chex are free of allergens I believe as well. I feed them to my kid who is allergic to everything.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageJaysonandKristin:
    imagebrowneyedgoil:
    imageJaysonandKristin:

Good luck either way. 

Bread is a processed food.  Earth Balance Buttery Spread is a processed food.  Where in my response did you see that I referenced either of them?  Fruits, vegetables and most meats are all top-8-friendly.  And, you can make an endless number of amazingly satisfying meals with them.  

I'm not sure what the point of your post was...   

you asked why someone who go to whole foods or trader joe's instead of a local grcoery store & in my opinion despite fruits, veggies, & meats being top 8 friendly, there are points in my life & i think others, where you also want to eat some things that require bread and/or a butter replacement to make. it's hard to go a full 12 months of bf'ing & cutting those type of things out of your diet completely. :) that is my opinion. 

i take it you never eat bread or prepare a recipe that would require butter or some type of subsitute?  

• Options

I completely concur on Enjoy Life foods.  Also check out their website you might be able to get a coupon or two.  The only thing I never liked were their frozen "bagels" they were like mini hockey pucks.  I also like Earth Balance "butter spread" at whole foods you can find one that is soy free (red container) which I know is a top 8 thing you are trying to avoid.

Also I liked Rice Dream rice milk.  It was good in cereal, cooking, etc. Unfortunately a lot of other things might just be a little bit of trial and error.  I would read that some people loved one brand or item and I would taste it and think, hell no!

I never found Trader Joes to be as helpful because I couldn't get everything there and found Whole Foods to be more of a one stop shop. Also if you get anything that is prepared at Whole Foods every last ingredient is listed which is important if you are avoiding the top 8.  Be a vigilant label reader, corn and potato starch and soy makes its way into lots of stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"