TTC after 35

Advice on OPKs?

Hi Ladies,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on OPKs?  I have been off of the pill since August and my cycles are all over the place...28 days, then 26, then 24, so I bought an OPK to see if I can pin down when I ovulate...only problem is that I'm not sure when to start using the OPK given my crazy cycle. Any advice?   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Advice on OPKs?

• Wow, I'm in such the same boat, stopped BCP mid August and have yet to find anything regular in my cycles. I know the OPK kits I looked at in the store varied, but seemed to indicate that you start testing for ovulation anywhere between day 7 - 10 of your cycle, so I guess that means counting from your first day of 'full red flow' (learned this at Fertility Friend, didn't know that before - I've always counted from when I first started spotting, often days before actual flow). 

imageimage

Married August 2012. Me: 41  DH: 42 
    Daughter from previous marriage: 20

BFP 12/19/12: Ectopic discovered at 8 weeks, right tube removed 01/18/13
    June 2013 Testing Results: Progesterone: 31.7, LH: 5, FSH: 5, Estradiol: 161
    Clomid cycles Nov. 2013 and Jan, Feb, and March 2014

TTC journey over as of the end of October 2014

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• I think day 7 is good advice. Buy the ones on amazon that are cheap and you can buy many at a time. That way you won't care if you use a lot. Also my cycles varied a little like yours but I always ovulated around the same time now I am on progesterone so my cycles are different. For me, my Luteal phase second half of the cycle was what was varying, not the first part. If you find your Luteal phase is short, or you start spotting way before AF, talk to your doctor. This can impede implantation since you are starting to shed early. They can prescribe progesterone which they did for me.
    Me:39 Dx LPD, Fibroid, AMA and all that goes with that. H:37 Dx low motility and low morphology. TTC since 3/12. Clomid 8/12 and 9/12: BFN. 11/12 on a break for Myomectomy sched. 11/26. Resume TTC early 2013.
  • Loading the player...
  • I never thought of my spotting days before AF as anything other than just a slow start to my period, it's just how its always been for me. But then I've never TTC before so the trouble I've always had with knowing exactly what day to consider as the start of my AF has only been a minor annoyance. Now of course it is so important - definitely good to keep in mind regarding possible early shedding!

imageimage

Married August 2012. Me: 41  DH: 42 
    Daughter from previous marriage: 20

BFP 12/19/12: Ectopic discovered at 8 weeks, right tube removed 01/18/13
    June 2013 Testing Results: Progesterone: 31.7, LH: 5, FSH: 5, Estradiol: 161
    Clomid cycles Nov. 2013 and Jan, Feb, and March 2014

TTC journey over as of the end of October 2014

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• Those are not crazy cycles. Buy a 20 pack or something and start around CD7. I wish I had cycles as "crazy" as yours!
  • Thanks for the advice!  I checked the calendar this morning, and since stopping the pill I had a 26 day cycle, 31, and 26 again.  Perhaps not as out of whack as I had thought. It just seems strange because I am so used to having it on the EXACT same day each month when I am on the pill.  Just having to readjust.  I will try testing starting on day 7 this month and will see what happens.  
  • I second buying the "internet cheapies"  and testing twice a day as well.  I know that I sometimes would only have a positive in the morning or the evening.  Not both, so I learned to test twice to catch my O. 

Target is now selling the cheapie O sticks too in case you can't wait for shipment.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"