Baby Showers

Extra shower hostess (kind of long)

My shower was this past Saturday, and it was quite lovely - 10 ladies attended and we had a good time.  I had hostess presents for my four hostesses (nice bottles of their favorite wines) and got all of my thank you notes done on Sunday.  All around, Miss Manners (and my former finishing school teachers) should be proud.

Last night though, I got an email from my mom telling me that my sister had paid for 1/4 of my shower (she was not one of the hostesses) and that I needed to thank her more amply than I did.  After deciding that there was no non-tacky way of finding out what happened, I just called my BFF (the "main" hostess), explained that my crazy mother was at it again, and asked what happened.  Thankfully, she's been my best friend for 19 years, so she wasn't offended.

Apparently, the four hostesses had planned to split the costs in thirds between her, my stepmom, and my aunt/cousin.  After the other guests had left (my sister was waiting for me to finish talking to someone else), they were discretely settling up and my sister involved herself and insisted on paying 1/4 of it.  To avoid making a scene and having me overhear this whole conversation, my BFF accepted because she didn't know what else to do.  My sister tends to be a little narcissistic and turn things into being about her, so I can see this happening.

My question now is what I should do.  I'm annoyed that my sister would inject herself into something that didn't involve her (my BFF said that it was extremely awkward) and mad at my mother for involving me (it was a very lovely day without any drama, other than drama caused by my mom).  But, now that I am involved, I feel like I should say something - apologies to the hostesses for my sister putting them in a weird spot, thanks to my sister for paying for it even if it wasn't necessary, etc.  What do you ladies think?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

Re: Extra shower hostess (kind of long)

• Yuck. First, I can't believe your mom put you on the spot like that. I call your sister, and offer to take her out to lunch or something as a special thank you. I wouldn't apologize to all the hostesses, as they may not know the entire situation. I assume you apologized to your BFF already, so I wouldn't worry about that. If everyone knows how your sister is, I'm sure they already understand, and aren't thinking any poorly of you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a similar situation. I had 4 hostesses and brought hostess gifts. After the shower I handed them out my mom went on to tell me everyone and their mother who printed a decoration or brought a dessert. It was very odd because I wouldn't consider them "hosts" and I had no way of knowing about any of that ahead of time. It was like she thought I had some unlimited supply of host gifts.

It seems your sister offered after the fact and wasn't really seeking recognition, especially since you didn't even hear this from her. Maybe she was complaining after the fact to your mom but it seems more like your mom just saying something. I think if you feel like you have to say something I wouldn't make it too formal just mention to your sis "hey mom said you ended up contributing to the shower I really appreciate it" although I still wouldn't really consider her a "host" more like she gave a gift. 

• Loading the player...
  • So awkward. I'm sorry you are in this situation! When I think of someone hosting a party, I think of both in terms of actually planning it, preparing food, decorations, etc, and the financial aspect of contributing to the party - and quite frankly, I give the former more credit than the latter in most cases. It's easy to write a check; planning an event takes a lot of time and effort.

Presumably, since your sister appears to have put them on the spot, she wasn't involved in any of the leg work of the shower, she just gave a financial contribution? Not to minimize that, but since she didn't really help plan, I don't think you necessarily owe her the same type of thank you. Like pp's suggested, maybe just take her to lunch, or maybe just write her a nice thank you note and give her a small gift card to Starbucks or somewhere she likes.  But, I also don't think this is something you would want to affect your relationship with your sister in the long run so if her feelings will be hurt, you could get her a nice bottle of wine, like you did for everyone else. But, do not be guilted into some type of more "ample" gift than you got for the ladies who actually planned and hosted your shower.

As for apologizing on her behalf to your friend, I'm sure your friend understands the situation and is not expecting an apology.  What I would do, however, is make it very clear to your mother that you had no idea your sister "contributed" (I would not call her a hostess) to the shower and had you known that at the time of the shower, you, of course, would have come prepared with a gift for her as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think your sister gets a phone call or email with an extra "thanks for your contribution" and that's it. She was not a hostess, she just happened to write a check - probably because she felt guilty for not stepping up to be a hostess in the first place. 
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • I'd drop your hostess friend a note and just reiterate how much fun you had at your shower and how much you appreciate her efforts, and that you're sorry it was awkward with your sister.

If you really feel inclined to do something for your sister, maybe you could send her a small bouquet of flowers with a note that thanks her for helping with the shower.  To be perfectly honest, though, I don't think she really needs one.  I think you could just call her up and let her know that your mom said she helped out and you wanted to let her know you appreciate her efforts.

I really hope your sister isn't expecting a gift.  A shower is a gift that should be given with no expectations.  I've hosted or co-hosted many showers and never received (or expected!) a hostess gift, and I'd really feel better knowing the parents to be are using the money to stock up for their little one. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMelleTX:
    I think your sister gets a phone call or email with an extra "thanks for your contribution" and that's it. She was not a hostess, she just happened to write a check - probably because she felt guilty for not stepping up to be a hostess in the first place. 
    When I wrote back to my mom, my mom said essentially that -- That everyone hosting was from my dad's side of my family (my parents are divorced) and she felt like my mom's side needed to do something (she's actually my half-sister from my mom's first marriage). Granted, I'd have preferred that they choose a different way of showing their support -- such as actually coming -- but I do appreciate the thought. I'm calling it good with an email.

imageimage

• imageSingleMom31:
    imageMelleTX:
    I think your sister gets a phone call or email with an extra "thanks for your contribution" and that's it. She was not a hostess, she just happened to write a check - probably because she felt guilty for not stepping up to be a hostess in the first place. 
    When I wrote back to my mom, my mom said essentially that -- That everyone hosting was from my dad's side of my family (my parents are divorced) and she felt like my mom's side needed to do something (she's actually my half-sister from my mom's first marriage). Granted, I'd have preferred that they choose a different way of showing their support -- such as actually coming -- but I do appreciate the thought. I'm calling it good with an email.

Problem solved!

On a side note, I didn't realize you were due to close to me. How are you feeling?

Single mom high-five! 

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • I'm a bit confused.  If you already had 4 hostesses why would your sister pay 1/4?  Wouldn't her portion be 1/5th?  So...did one of the hostesses not contribute monetarily?

I read your last post and I think the email should be enough.

• imagerhubarb123:

I'm a bit confused.  If you already had 4 hostesses why would your sister pay 1/4?  Wouldn't her portion be 1/5th?  So...did one of the hostesses not contribute monetarily?

I read your last post and I think the email should be enough.

I think that they were counting my aunt & cousin as one person, so my aunt/cousin, stepmom, and BFF were going to split it 3 ways between them.

imageimage

• "Hey sis, I wanted to call you and thank you because a little birdie told me you paid for a chunk of my shower.  You know you didn't have to do that.  I appreciate it, though.  I just wanted to thank you even though you weren't officially a hostess."

This gets Mom off your back, expresses gratitude for your sister's contribution to the shower, but doesn't reward her narcissistic behavior.  It also reminds here that being a hostess is more than writing a check as you scamper out the door. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"