Special Needs

Would you still go?

DS has an appt with a behaviorial pedi on Monday. I was convinced he has ADHD (mostly the hyperactivity party) but all his evals from schools came back average. He was slightly higher in the hyperactive scrores, but barely above average. His teacher said he's doing well enough in class -- needs to be redirected sometimes but not all that much often than other boys. She said he is a bit immature and is "bratty" sometimes. The school psy who monitored him said the same thing -- no inattention issues but definitely "requires movement" sometimes.

I kind of feel stupid now, and I'm kind of embarassed for bringing it to the school's attention. I feel like the school looks at us as someone who can't control their kid at home. I mean, obviously I'm thrilled that he's doing well at school, but I'm wondering if we should even bother to go to the appointment. We had to wait 4 weeks for it.

Honestly, he can be a NUT at home. Constant talking, falls out of his chair (doesn't happen at school), can not sit still -- ever. Lots and lots of defiance. Constant arguments and negotiations. I guess he's holding it together for school and then just unleashes at home?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Would you still go?

• I don't see a downside to keeping the appointment.

I am surprised that an educator used the term "bratty" but with the right delivery it might work to describe behaviour.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Yeah, I admit my mama bear wanted to come out when I heard that, but I kept quiet. She actually seems to be a great fit for him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Sometimes the perfect word eludes us.  I've thought my own kids as 'bratty' more than once, lol.
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"