Secondary IF
Options

Buying IVF Meds

I came on here starting to vent about my situation, and then realized that I could not, in good conscience do so, since I am fortunate enough to have full IVF coverage for 4 more IVF cycles. 

I thought it was the same with my IF meds coverage, albeit with a copay, since I'd paid only a small fraction of the cost of all my meds last year for IVF (I paid around $950 for enough meds for 2 weeks, at increasingly higher doses).  Today I found out that there is only a $10,000 lifetime max on the meds, so it looks like I'll be OOP for those pretty soon, possibly for part of this cycle.  

So, while I am incredibly grateful for what coverage I do have, which is still the lion's share of it all, I was caught off guard by this new financial cost if we have to try as many as 4 times, which is a good $20,000 or more for meds, since I require high doses.

If you are still reading, many thanks.  Now to my question: for those of you who are OOP, where do you purchase your meds?  I will be doing Lupron microflare (not sure of the exact dose just yet), Menopur, Lupron, and Novarel.  

10/10: Married; 5/11: Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tube; 7/11: D&C/Hysteroscopy to remove polyp
IVF #1: 9/11: ER: 12R, 11M, 10F, No Frosties; 5dt: 2 blasts, 1 morula; DD born 6/3/12
IVF #2: 11/12-12/12: ER: 20R, 20M, 16F, 4 Frosties; 5dt: 3 blasts, DS born 8/9/13
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Buying IVF Meds

• Options

I think it is great that you are thankful for the coverage you have and totally understand the frustration with paying for any of it. People who don't suffer with IF don't understand what it can take, emotionally, physically, and finacially just to try for a baby. We are here for ya.

I haven't done IVF, but I do get my HCG shot from Freedom Fertility Pharmacy. They are awesome! They even sent it overnight last cycle since we detected my surge sooner than expected. My SIL also used them when purchasing her IVF meds and was very pleased.

Good Luck! I hope you don't need to go through all of your IF coverage and that this is your cycle.

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
    18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
    BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
    BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

• Options
    I am 100% OOP for everything meds, labs, procedures, anything IF related for all of our IVF and FET cycles.  Here is what I have learned.  Ask your clinic, sometimes they have free samples of stims or sometimes patients will donate leftover meds since they expire.  Most clinics do not advertise this fact but if you ask and say you are 100% OOP for meds they may have some.  They also have some on reserve for people that run out at the end.  Ask.  You should shop around too, depending on your stim med some online pharmacy's are cheaper for one med but more expensive for another. There are also discount programs for Follistim and Gonal F at some online pharmacy's get a medicine quote from a few not just one, before you pick.  Also most RE's are somewhat flexible on the stim you use if you ask, so find the best deal.  Another trick, do not buy a full 12 days of stims to start, most RE's order at least that much.  Start with maybe 8 days worth, remember your dose might lower after initial monitoring.  You are better off ordering more than having too much.  Good luck!!!   
    H: 34 dx Azoospermia due to CBAVD from CF  
    ME: 39 IS FINE!!!  DOR and poor AMH/FSH/LH
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #1 Beta 1 373 Beta 2 1783 BOY/GIRL TWINS!! Born April 2010!!
    Natural FET 5/26/12 2 blasts Beta 1 207 Beta 2 513 Beta 3 1377 U/S 6/28 Pregnancy not viable d & c scheduled :( 
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #2 ER 11/15/12 Nothing to transfer :( 
    IVF/ICSI #3 April 2013 MDLF 3dt of 3 embryos, chemical :(  
    IVF #4/ICSI/MESA/CCS/FET EPP April 2015
    ODWU CCRM with Dr. Sch COMPLETE!!!! Put on acai supplement they are studying for DOR and embryo quality.
    DAY 3 Labs Drawn 2/26 put on vitamin D and calcium supplements
    Regroup and Protocol Reveal 3/04 "Bazooka Protocol" EPP with MDLF "Protocol 6 with patches"
    ER/MESA 4/10 ER 9 eggs retrieved MESA success found live swimmers :)
    Fertilization Report 6 eggs mature and ICSI'd 4 eggs fertilized normally
    Day 6 Report to Blast for CCS 4/16: 2 DAY 5 BLASTS BIOPSIED FOR CCS a 4AB and a 3AB!!!!
    CCS Results BOTH BLASTS CCS NORMAL!!!!!!  call on 4/24
    Regroup call to discuss CCS results and FET call on 5/20
    FET prep: CD 1 6/08 CD 3 Start BCP 6/10, HSG 6/12 Lupron Start 10 iu 6/17 End BCP 6/21 CD 1 6/23!!!
    Start vivelle patches 6/25 change e/o/d reduce Lupron to 5iu 6/25 Blood Draw 7/01, 7/08, 7/15, 7/19
    Increase vivelle patches 7/03 2 change e/o/d and 7/05 change e/o/d 3 and 7/07 4 change e/o/d add vaginal estrace 2x a day
    Lining Check/Blood Draw 7/08 and 7/15 End Lupron 7/18  Start PIO 1ml daily 7/18  Blood  Draw 7/19
    Flight to clinic 7/22
    FET 2 CCS BLASTS :):)  7/23 :):) YES YES both thawed and both fully expanded :):)
    7/26 :):) 3dp5dt PM very very faint positive FRER
    7/27: 4dp5dt Neg Digi AM but very very faint positive FRER PM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 1-2 :):) 
    7/31:8dp5dt AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 2-3!!!! :):) 
    Beta 1 8/01= 408!!!!!!!!!! at 9dp5dt FET
    Beta 2 8/03 = 1014!!!!!!!!!! at 11dp5dt FET
    8/05/2015 AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 3+!!!! :):) 
    First Ultrasound: 8/20!!!!!! TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Genetics says BOTH BOYS!!!!!!!!!
    Second Ultrasound: 9/03!!!!!!!!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Although I am not doing IVF due to the OOP cost myself, because I have zero insurance coverage for IF stuff... I use the Walgreens Specialty Pharmacy and they too ship over night and I have never had any issues. I have noticed that on particular medicines they can be cheaper than Freedom Pharmacy because Walgreens does not charge for shipping. The first time you order it will take slightly longer as they try to run your insurance (even if you tell them it will get rejected) but every time after my doctor sends it and they call that day or next day to confirm and it is shipped when you need it... You tell them, so I usually tell them I need it right away just in case... Best of luck... Is there anyway to not do IVF until your insurance starts over again for the year and then continue? Just a thought...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2 since 2009 Have PCOS two close calls with letrozole and hcg trigger. Hoping 3rd time does the trick... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagettcmbbaby:
    Is there anyway to not do IVF until your insurance starts over again for the year and then continue? Just a thought...

Waiting for next year doesn't help.  It's a $10K lifetime max.  The only difference between now and next year is the amount of my copay, which is effected by my copay, so it would have been cheaper to stock up this year if IVF#2 fails, since my copay is 10% now that my deductible has been met. 

Thanks to everyone for the advice.  I spent the morning calling and emailing a lot of pharmacies to get prices, and like PP said, I figured out that I will probably do better ordering different meds from different pharmacies. 

On the bright side, my frugal, bargain-hunting ways that DH teases me about will come in handy now!

10/10: Married; 5/11: Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tube; 7/11: D&C/Hysteroscopy to remove polyp
    IVF #1: 9/11: ER: 12R, 11M, 10F, No Frosties; 5dt: 2 blasts, 1 morula; DD born 6/3/12
    IVF #2: 11/12-12/12: ER: 20R, 20M, 16F, 4 Frosties; 5dt: 3 blasts, DS born 8/9/13
  • Options
    We're totally oop for everything and we used Avella Pharmacy. My re gave me a list of pharmacies and I called five to do a price check. I would recommend doing that. Nobody was rude and I feel like we hot a good price.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I've only started but found that Walgreens has the cheapest Ganarelix (103.50), Freedom has the cheapest Bravella (49.99), Freedom and Kings have the cheapest Menopur (69.99), and Village has free Lupron trigger with the purchase of the Bravella.  I am still calling around before I place the order.
    11/02/10- DS Born
    6/2011- DH started chemo for testicular cancer
    9/2011- Remission!!!!
    6/2012- IUI #1 natural with HCG shot- banked sperm (BFN)
    7/2012- IUI #2 natural with HCG shot- banked sperm (BFN)
    -changed RE-
    11/13/12- IVF #1 Bravella 225/Menopur 150/Ganarelix, triggered with Lupron. 11/27- 8R/2M + 2 mature next day/ 4 fertilized/ 2 grade III with 20% fragmentation transferred back on day 3. No frosties. BFN. Boo :(.
    Plan: New semen analysis in January and #2 IVF hopefully with fresh sample in March.
  • Options
    I've used both Freedom Fertility Pharmacy and Triessent (Walgreens) Specialty Pharmacy. They are both excellent about getting your meds to you quickly but like others have said, and it sounds like you are doing, make sure you shop around. GL!
    imageimage

First Time: DD born 3/2011 after trying for two years, LAP, and two IUIs w/ Femera + Ovidrel
    This Time: 4/12 Femera IUI #1 BFN, 5/12 Femera + TI BFN, 6/12 Femera + IUI #2 BFN, 7/12 Femera + IUI #3 BFN, 8/12 Follistim IUI #4 BFN
    IVF #1: ER 11/5/12 : 17 eggs retrieved/6 fertilized, ET 11/10/12 : 5dt of 2 embies/0 frosties BFN
    IVF #2: ER 1/28/13 : 12 eggs retrieved/9 fertilized, ET 2/2/13 : 5dt of 2 embies/0 frosties BFN
    IVF #3: ER 4/15/13 : 13 eggs retrieved/7 fertilized, ET 4/18/13 : 3dt of 3 embies/0 frosties BFN
    Laparoscopy 5/24/13 : Stage 2 Endo, Scaring, and Both tubes Blocked but successfully Opened
    IVF #4 (Clinical Trial): ER 7/22/13 : 15 eggs/8 fertilized, ET 7/25/13 : 3dt of 3 embies/0 frosties BFN
    IVF #5: ER 11/4/13 : 13 eggs/12 fertilized, ET 11/9/13 : 5dt of 2 embies/0 frosties BFP!!! Beta 11/20/13 = 447 1 Beautiful Baby! EDD: July 28, 2014
  • Options

Thanks for all the recommendations.  I have put together a list of the following pharmacies

Alexander's Twins
    Apthorp
    avella
    Freedom
    ivfpharmacy.com
    mandell's
    MDRUSA.com
    metro drugs
    successmeds.com
    Village Fertility
    Walgreens

and will making a spreadsheet with the prices for Menopur, Follistim 300, 600, and 900, Novarel, and Lupron (once I find out my microflare dose from RE).  I'll post my results once I have all the info.

If anyone has other pharmacies they have used or recommend, please pass them along, and I'll research their prices as well.

• Options
    This is so helpful.  We aren't at this stage yet, but I presume we will be in early 2013-- this thread has already been really helpful!  Thanks for compiling all of this.

Love, luck, and prayers to my BFPB Dr. SnowflakeBride

• Options
    I'm jealous. We have crappy IF coverage and I will most likely be paying for most of my meds OOP. I was told to check Freedom Pharmacy but I'm curious to see what others recommend.
    After many years and tears our baby boy is finally here
    Born 11-6-10

• Options
    imagenawlinsgrl:

Thanks for all the recommendations.  I have put together a list of the following pharmacies

Alexander's Twins
    Apthorp
    avella
    Freedom
    ivfpharmacy.com
    mandell's
    MDRUSA.com
    metro drugs
    successmeds.com
    Village Fertility
    Walgreens

and will making a spreadsheet with the prices for Menopur, Follistim 300, 600, and 900, Novarel, and Lupron (once I find out my microflare dose from RE).  I'll post my results once I have all the info.

If anyone has other pharmacies they have used or recommend, please pass them along, and I'll research their prices as well.

Wow. This is going to be so helpful! Thank you for posting!

After many years and tears our baby boy is finally here
    Born 11-6-10

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"