Natural Birth

XP: wwyd - I could really use some opinions

I potentially have a really crappy decision to make. I know it is ultimately my choice to make, but I need some outside perspective.

I?m attempting a med-free VBAC. I?m 39 weeks tomorrow (Oct 25th). My OB leaves the state Oct 31st for a few days. At my appt today, I have made no progress at all. Basically Gandalf the Grey is standing at the edge of my cervix ?You shall not pass!!?

Here is my dilemma: I have another appt on Monday (39 w 4 d) to see if my cervix is favorable at all. If it isn?t, I have no hard decision to make; I just wait things out and hope he doesn?t decide to come while OB is out of state). If it is favorable, I have the option to have my water broken so I can deliver with my OB. I?m hoping and praying that he just comes naturally on his own before Monday and I won?t even have to make this decision. If not, I could really use some thoughts on what you would do. Maybe there is something I?m not considering. I sort of hate the idea of rushing things and not letting labor start naturally, but I really want to deliver with my OB.

Re: XP: wwyd - I could really use some opinions

• I would wait.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wait.  How long is your OB out of town?

Regardless, I would prefer to use an OB I never met before than have my water broken, potentially end up on pitocin and have another c/s because of failure to progress.  If baby isn't ready, it isn't time.

• Loading the player...
  • image+adamwife+:

Wait.  How long is your OB out of town?

Regardless, I would prefer to use an OB I never met before than have my water broken, potentially end up on pitocin and have another c/s because of failure to progress.  If baby isn't ready, it isn't time.

Agreed. You can always labor at home as long as possible- that way you progress much better, don't have the pressure of nurses, and when delivery time comes it's so fast that which OB caught baby isn't as significant. Although, I know how hard it is to want your doc there. Tough decision, but I think I would wait, and crazy as it sounds, talk to your babe. They really listen- they are little beings in there. I had talks with all of mine every night about being 7 lbs 11 oz.......I figured that was a good sized baby that I could deliver naturally. All of them have been within and ounce of that weight. :)

• imagekatsue0xo:
    image+adamwife+:

Wait.  How long is your OB out of town?

Agreed. You can always labor at home as long as possible- that way you progress much better, don't have the pressure of nurses, and when delivery time comes it's so fast that which OB caught baby isn't as significant. Although, I know how hard it is to want your doc there. Tough decision, but I think I would wait, and crazy as it sounds, talk to your babe. They really listen- they are little beings in there. I had talks with all of mine every night about being 7 lbs 11 oz.......I figured that was a good sized baby that I could deliver naturally. All of them have been within and ounce of that weight. :)

I don't know exactly how long he is out. I know he is leaving on the 31st (my EDD 1st) and I think he is gone til the 5th, but I'll have to double check. 

I posted part of this on third tri but if it was a normal delivery, I really wouldn't care too much about which OB was there to catch the baby. The only reason I would like to deliver with my OB is because I know where he stands on vbacs and what he will and won't do. I guess I'm mostly afraid of getting a random OB that isn't vbac friendly. I don't know any of the others (there are about 6 or 7). Also, if he felt pitocin was necessary (which I will protest as long as possible) he won't go past the minimum dose since uterine rupture is a risk, as some of you stated. I don't have to worry about anything until Monday, but I just want to make sure I'm thinking it all through. With my first, my water broke at home 3 days before my EDD. Monday will be 3 days before my due date, so maybe I'll get lucky and things will follow suit! (minus the c/s part!)

I'll definitely try talking to this bambino and telling him he needs to make an appearance soon!

• I would definitely wait.  Breaking your water is a great way to stall your labor (and decrease your successful VBAC chance) since it make it harder for baby to turn if need be.  It also of course starts the clock ticking.  Plus you don't sound favorable for induction anyway at this point.

Baby could easily cook past the 31st.  Do you have a doula?  Or if not, is DH prepared to advocate for you?  I think your odds of a successful VBAC are higher with random OB when baby decides it's time to come vs. an early induction with the OB you like. 

• I would wait. With stms usually there is no progress untill labor starts. Also with trying a vbac the less intervention the more likely you will successful.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagencbelle:

I would definitely wait.  Breaking your water is a great way to stall your labor (and decrease your successful VBAC chance) since it make it harder for baby to turn if need be.  It also of course starts the clock ticking.  Plus you don't sound favorable for induction anyway at this point.

Baby could easily cook past the 31st.  Do you have a doula?  Or if not, is DH prepared to advocate for you?  I think your odds of a successful VBAC are higher with random OB when baby decides it's time to come vs. an early induction with the OB you like. 

I agree with all of this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #3 Due April 2016
  • I would wait. I was really concerned about this when I had DS and ended up going into labor the day after she went out of town. I had a different doctor for my delivery and because we had a written birth plan with us, our wishes were respected and really the doctor was in the room for all of 20 mintues total. So I would let my body do what it needs to to prepare and not rush things just for your doctor to deliver.
  • I totally see where you're coming from, since you know your OB's opinion on VBACs, but as others have said, an induction is probably a worse way to start a VBAC than to go naturally and labor at home for as long as possible.
  • I'm not at all a fan of breaking water to start a labor.  If it were me, I'd wait.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"