International Bumpies

Do you plan TTC around international events?

We have an anniversary party and a wedding next year in the states that I'd REALLY like to go to.... but it clashes with when we wanted to TTC (likely would be too pg to go...)

However of course you can't ever know how long it'll take when TTC....

I just don't know - I go back and forth between putting it all on hold for a few months, to just 'going for it' and letting it all play out and just see what happens as to whether we can go next year or not

did you plan ttc around future events?

Re: Do you plan TTC around international events?

• We delayed TTC, as life kept throwing us curve balls.  I lost my job, DH almost died... once we'd made it thru all this I had a new job, DH had been healthy for a year, we decided to TTC, didn't take long.  If you asked me when I went off BCP, I would have September would have been a nice time to conceive - but I didn't make it that long - June it was!
    *** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • I am not currently TTC'ing, but no. I don't know how old you are, but for me, time is not on my side, so if I wanted more children (unsure on that right now, ask me when my son STTN!) I would start right away.

We waited too long, IMO, and I had fertility issues once we started, so I say "you never know.."

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Loading the player...
  • Nope.

I'm turning 35 this year and DH is 42. We knew we wanted to wait until DS was 3 to have another. DS took 8 months of TTC before I got a positive so we went for it knowing that if I got pregnant in the first few months we would not be able to go back to Canada for Christmas.

Very blessed to get pregnant on our second cycle trying so will be spending Christmas in our new country for the first time (last year we hopped over to Edinburgh for Christmas in Scotland).

If you are young and have the time, or know you are super fertile, I would TTC in advantageous windows. But we're not in that situation.

• We planned around my brothers wedding but I wouldn't do it again after everything. We always talked about 2 kids and assuming this all goes perfectly, it will have taken 2.5 years from TTC to baby... And this is a short amount of time compared to lots of people. If we are ready to try again, we aren't going to plan around anything.
    TTC #1 since Aug 2010 * BFP Aug 2011, EDD April 16 2012 * MMC @ 7w5d, D&C @ 10w5d
    BFP Apr 2012, EDD Dec 19 2012 * twin h/b at 6wk, 9wk scan * Baby A lost at 12wks
    Baby B was my rainbow born at 36wks on Nov 27 2012

Lilypie - (kqKn)
  • I would plan around something like that if it just means delaying TTC plans by a month or two. That will not affect your fertility. If you do end up having problems TTC, the month or two starting earlier wouldn't make any difference. If you end up getting pregnant relatively quickly, then you'll be glad you waited and didn't miss out on the wedding.

If it means delaying TTC for longer than a few months, though, then no, I wouldn't. 

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Right now DH and I are planning on starting again this spring, although with everyone and their dog coming out to visit us this summer we might push that back a bit.  I would not mind waiting until next fall, however, DH would prefer trying sooner. DD is only 10 months old, so I am not in a huge rush...

Also, the thought of traveling internationally with more than one kid scares the crap out of me- my FFFC for the day.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• imageccip82:

Right now DH and I are planning on starting again this spring, although with everyone and their dog coming out to visit us this summer we might push that back a bit.  I would not mind waiting until next fall, however, DH would prefer trying sooner. DD is only 10 months old, so I am not in a huge rush...

Also, the thought of traveling internationally with more than one kid scares the crap out of me- my FFFC for the day.

You're not alone. After this last, horrible trip in September, I thought to myself, "How in the world do people do this with 2 or more little kids?!" My brother is getting married next fall, so we'll be traveling with a 2.5 year old and an 7ish month old. I'm already scared.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• imagekelly321:
    imageccip82:

Right now DH and I are planning on starting again this spring, although with everyone and their dog coming out to visit us this summer we might push that back a bit.  I would not mind waiting until next fall, however, DH would prefer trying sooner. DD is only 10 months old, so I am not in a huge rush...

You're not alone. After this last, horrible trip in September, I thought to myself, "How in the world do people do this with 2 or more little kids?!" My brother is getting married next fall, so we'll be traveling with a 2.5 year old and an 7ish month old. I'm already scared.

Kelly- I am glad I am not alone here :) If you are like me, I try to plan every.detail. for our overseas flights. I think that might be part of the problem.  DH and I have it down pretty good with E, we both have our assigned jobs.  I should just loosen up a bit and go more with the flow-but easier said than done! 

I grew up in the Marshall Islands and my mom would fly back to the States every summer with 4 kids under the age of 10...I asked her how she did it and her response was you just make it work (Although I distinctly remember sitting at the airport  before our flight one time and taking my "happy pills") Stick out tongue

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• I agree that you might consider delaying just a month or two if you can though I wouldn't totally put my plans on hold b/c you never know how long it might take.  At least giving yourself at least an extra month would insure that you're not too pregnant to travel.  At least in my experience, people are generally very nice to you if you're traveling while pregnant!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It really isn't that much more difficult to travel overseas with 2, especially once the older one is of an age where they can entertain themselves!

We waited until we did a trip to SE Asia to TTC our second, I couldn't be pregnant and go since I would have to be on anti-malarials. It worked for us, and I got pregnant as soon as we were back, but I know we were lucky 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We waited a couple years past when we were financially ready to start TTC for a variety of reasons.  Most of them were big trips, wanting to go places where I'd have to take anti-malarials, and weddings back in Europe.  Then I got sick.  If we don't have a baby before I get sick again and have to go on some pretty nasty meds, we aren't going to be able to have one biologically at all.  

At this point, I'm not sure that I'd do anything different if given the chance.  Yeah, I'd be less stressed right now, but I'd also have missed out on some pretty great experiences. 

• I delayed things by 6 months so that I could attend my sister's wedding this summer and my brother's wedding this winter. We're TTC now but it's been a few months and still nothing. DH is giving me a bit of flak for trying to control everything and plan stuff around what he thinks are less important things.

I still don't regret it though. I would have died if I couldn't be at my brother's wedding (it's on NYE, so it's Christmas and a wedding). Plus, I'm finishing a Masters so it doesn't hurt to have time to get that down before baby time. 

I guess I wish now that we started trying last year instead of waiting this long, but I don't think DH was ready then (or even me, to be honest). Now that I know it's not easy, we won't delay for anything. If we have to miss an event now, it'll be worth it.

Cape Town, South Africa Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think the biggest thing on my mind right now too is that if we do delay, and I go there pg next year, we'll have to go (well I'll WANT to go) again in like 6ish months so my family can see the 2nd dc before I have to go back to work. That means possibly having to do the flight by myself with 2, or dh having to take unpaid time off work. Bleh - I don't know - it stinks having to plan around things like this :(
  • Not around international events, but I am trying to plan around school years and Christmas, sad I know. I really don't want to have a baby next year August because DS will be on his long school holidays and I will 'lose' a year at home with #2. So we are starting to TTC in December, but the stopping in March and carrying on again in June. Why? Because DS's birthday is 20 December we want to try and avoid having another child in  November, December or January. Odd planning, but I have had alost 5 years to think about it,
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"